Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Jan 3, 2024 at 5:48 AM Post #4,532 of 4,913
Regarding the driver issues:
Right after launch of the IE600 i had the chance to talk personally to the lead product manager of the IE900. Because i had driver failure with my first pair of IE900 i asked him if thats a known problem and turns out they had unfortunately quite a big run of driver production where the machine producing them wasnt set correctely (temperature of soldering to be exact). The drivers from this production run are known to fail more frequentely and if they do it always happens in the first few month of usage (depending on usage behavior). Furthermore he assured me that if something happens to a product like the IE900 after warranty sennheiser would still deliver customer support for them and try to find a solution even if its not repairable.
Afterall they are a well established brand with a good reputation they wouldnt want to lose, especislly with the customers of their highest end products.
Interesting, thanks for sharing. Good to know they would own their mistake and support after warranty. I bet a lot of companies would just stay silent and just follow warranty rules.

On another note, in light of the current conversations, I'll add my experience to the mix. I've had driver failure on a pair of first-gen Momentum true wireless buds (which Sennheiser replaced with a new set as it was still within the warranty period) and recently on a pair of IE800S. Wanna say I had the IE800S for five years. It's interesting that the driver in the MTW went very quickly upon me noticing a driver flex sound (I would say about three days after I first heard it happening). The IE800S on the other hand, I also observed driver flex on one side, within the first or second year of ownership, but the driver kept going fine. It has finally quit. I was a bit disappointed to see that there's no repair option offered by Sennheiser, they just recommend you buy a new pair. That said, I somewhat understand since it's discontinued and manufacturing has moved to the IE900, but in my mind 6 years isn't that long to drop support for a product. Ultimately, I would say that Sennheiser doesn't have a big but however notable reliability problem. Hopefully aside from this bad batch in the IE900 run, whatever the issue was in the past hasn't spilled over to the new IE series' design. I would say if you hear any driver flex to get it replaced asap.

All that said, I have had my pair of IE900 purchased shortly after launch (Germany batch). Zero issues whatsoever in the 2-3 years I've had them. No hint of driver flex at all. I also have a second-hand HD820 with no issues at all. I like the brand a lot and plan to stick with them, but must say that my confidence in them (IEMs particularly) has been shaken a bit.

Jan 3, 2024 at 5:53 AM Post #4,533 of 4,913
Yea but this cable is a normal MMCX and not mmcx+ or whatever the ie plug is
It's the real deal, I have regular cables as well, this one is the only one I got that works flawlessly with the IE900.

Photo:

eO3KXSE.jpg

Jan 7, 2024 at 2:24 PM Post #4,538 of 4,913
Bought a pair of ie900 on Amazon 3rd party seller and turned out it's fake, by referencing https://www.audioreviews.org/sennheiser-counterfeits-fakes/, plus noticing that there was no signature, and the QR code on the box doesn't match the number on the cloth bag's metal tag.
Later on, bought from another 3rd party seller with many good reviews, and that pair was genuine (produced in Ireland, No. 20000+)
So, be careful when buying from Amazon 3rd party sellers. I've taken some photos for both and it anyone is interested I'll try to upload them (cannot find a way to upload images so far)

Jan 7, 2024 at 3:06 PM Post #4,539 of 4,913
I have to stress again, that the IE 900 really is on another sound quality level, when using the custom ear tips. Recently, I used my Bowers & Wilkins PX8 ANC headphone more often outside, but last week I tried it with the IE 900 again, and I must say that the passive noise sealing with the custom ear tips is very close to the level of good ANC headphones.

As of sound, especially the bass signature profits from the custom ear tips enormously.

Jan 7, 2024 at 6:54 PM Post #4,540 of 4,913
It's the real deal, I have regular cables as well, this one is the only one I got that works flawlessly with the IE900.

Photo:

eO3KXSE.jpg
that's good to know thank you. It's sensibly priced too, thinking of going for it.

Jan 7, 2024 at 11:51 PM Post #4,541 of 4,913
Bought a pair of ie900 on Amazon 3rd party seller and turned out it's fake, by referencing https://www.audioreviews.org/sennheiser-counterfeits-fakes/, plus noticing that there was no signature, and the QR code on the box doesn't match the number on the cloth bag's metal tag.
Later on, bought from another 3rd party seller with many good reviews, and that pair was genuine (produced in Ireland, No. 20000+)
So, be careful when buying from Amazon 3rd party sellers. I've taken some photos for both and it anyone is interested I'll try to upload them (cannot find a way to upload images so far)
In terms of sound though, is it really bad?

Jan 8, 2024 at 6:06 AM Post #4,543 of 4,913
Hi,

i bought some used IE900 some days ago from a trusted seller here in germany as a upgrade to my IE 800S. First impressions where good, much better textured bass and highly improoved high to my ears. No i came across omse pictures about fakes here and i´m struggling a bit. All accesories look authentical to the pictures shown here. Serial number certificate and case match. but the inside of the ie900 is not pitch black:
1704711709953.png

IE900 is etched and not printed:
1704711729688.png

And the backside:
1704711757094.png

Your opinion?

Jan 8, 2024 at 6:39 AM Post #4,545 of 4,913
I bought one from Linsoul for IE200, and I had to strip the O rings so they could fit. It wasn't two seconds of work; it didn't go easy.
But after I did that, it worked great. It stays firmly.
I am receiving IE900 in a few days. I would consider that cable as well. It's probably not the same cable I bought. It looks similar (without O rings, though).
Linsoul

What do you think about this one?
MMCX, 4.4 mm (blue)
It costs more. Do you think it might be of better quality as well?
LINSOUL

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back