Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Aug 19, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #4,337 of 4,902
Has anyone bought IE900 on Amazon recently? Wondering if we can still buy the ones made in Germany now. Thank you:)

Aug 19, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #4,338 of 4,902
Has anyone bought IE900 on Amazon recently? Wondering if we can still buy the ones made in Germany now. Thank you:)
I don’t know if Amazon still sell them but the IE900 I bought from CEX were made in Germany. Just a pity they were suspected counterfeit copies.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2023 at 2:18 AM Post #4,339 of 4,902
Wasn't this discussed much earlier in the thread? There is no difference between the early units made in Germany and the ones made in Ireland. I would comment that a few of the early units failed, the cause of this would have been investigated by now and fixed (probably) so later ie900's would be more reliable (maybe).

I visited CanJam yesterday and listened to loads of stuff, mainly IEM's and probably around £100K worth of gear, including the new AK Aura (way too bright for my taste) and guess what sounded best to me, my own ie900.

People say CanJam will hit your wallet, well it cost me around £80 for the day, train ticket, entry ticket, charity raffle and lunch but saved me £1000's

When my ie900 fails I will replace it with the best IEM currently which is IMO the ie900.

Aug 20, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #4,340 of 4,902
That is very interesting and shocking. I will probably get the same response from Sennheiser whenever they reply which means there is no reason for CEX to refuse to refund me in full into my bank account because a serial number not being in Sennheiser’s database mean they are 100% counterfeit.
When I contacted the EBay seller about the included inspection card not being signed without a serial number they said it was a promotional unit, which could perhaps be true? I say perhaps because I could not believe how amazing these sounded. I assume because they are reference I also found them somewhat boring while simultaneously being sublime—very strange sensation. The recessed MMCX connector, again, seemed unreasonably fragile to me, and I’m curious to hear from
some folks who’ve had these more than 2 to 3 years without failure.

For example if people have had success, including repairs if needed at reasonable cost, I may just buy a pair from Sennheiser.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2023 at 12:23 AM Post #4,341 of 4,902
Sennheiser's Custom Comfort eartips are the best investment I've made when it comes to the IE 900. The enhanced isolation increase the perception of sub-bass and upper-treble, while further deepening the stage (at the slight expense of stage width).

Highly recommended for existing IE 900 owners. The sound change will be far more drastic than any of the flagship cables, for example.

2X2A2462.jpg

Aug 21, 2023 at 2:30 AM Post #4,343 of 4,902
When I contacted the EBay seller about the included inspection card not being signed without a serial number they said it was a promotional unit, which could perhaps be true? I say perhaps because I could not believe how amazing these sounded. I assume because they are reference I also found them somewhat boring while simultaneously being sublime—very strange sensation. The recessed MMCX connector, again, seemed unreasonably fragile to me, and I’m curious to hear from
some folks who’ve had these more than 2 to 3 years without failure.

For example if people have had success, including repairs if needed at reasonable cost, I may just buy a pair from Sennheiser.

The inspection card (certificate of authenticity) was signed and dated with my IE900 but the serial being 35xx yet dated 01 April 2021 was a bit suspect because from all the unboxing videos and Google images I’ve seen the serial on models produced on that date were in the 12xx. Also, the case being a gold copper brown was a bit suspect too.

The sound quality on the IE900 was good with the bass, mids and treble being good but basically the same sound quality as my Airpod Pro 2 which were £500 cheaper. There didn’t seem to be much soundstage and they sounded a bit distant and they didn’t sound very engaging but they did have good instrument separation but still it didn’t justify the £700 range. If they were £100 to £200 then I probably would of kept them. I only bought because of the rave reviews about them on here and I thought £700 was a deal considering they are between £1,200 to £1,400 new.

I think if they were the real genuine IE900 IEMs they would have sounded much better with good immersive soundstage. However, they just sounded the same as IEMs I have that only cost me a fraction of the price. Also if the IE900 IEMs were genuine then the serial wouldn’t of been as high as they were.

Anyway, I took them back for a full refund.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2023 at 3:44 AM Post #4,344 of 4,902
Sennheiser's Custom Comfort eartips are the best investment I've made when it comes to the IE 900. The enhanced isolation increase the perception of sub-bass and upper-treble, while further deepening the stage (at the slight expense of stage width).

Highly recommended for existing IE 900 owners. The sound change will be far more drastic than any of the flagship cables, for example.

2X2A2462.jpg
Thank you for sharing! I have been waiting for any feedback on the new custom tips, and this is the first I have read.

Any feedback on comfort — especially with long playing sessions? Does it have a screen and foam insert to prevent dirt & dust from getting in?

Aug 21, 2023 at 6:56 AM Post #4,345 of 4,902
Thank you for sharing! I have been waiting for any feedback on the new custom tips, and this is the first I have read.

Any feedback on comfort — especially with long playing sessions? Does it have a screen and foam insert to prevent dirt & dust from getting in?
Comfort needs some getting used to. I am not too accustomed to such deep fit so initially there was an adjustment period. Now 4/5 days later I can go 2/3 hours without issues.

No screen or foam inserts. You'll probably have to clean from time to time.

Aug 21, 2023 at 7:58 AM Post #4,346 of 4,902
Is there any news on when overseas customers can purchase the IE900 custom tips?
Thanks for your interest in these. There are no further developments yet-- the German region is a pilot test for Custom Comfort Tips and is still rather new. We've got our fingers crossed for expansion but due to the advanced equipment involved, may take time to expand.

I guess when it comes to expensive headphones and earphones from the likes of Sony and Sennneiser I’d be better to buy from them direct or shops who are authorised sellers of Sony or Sennneiser
🎯 Correct. Even if you ignore the risk of counterfeits, an authorized dealer is also most likely to handle your gear with care between the time they receive it and when you receive it. By now many of you have heard the story of the stolen HE 1 🙃
There is no difference between the early units made in Germany and the ones made in Ireland.
Manufacturing and testing tolerances are ridiculously high (the good kind of ridiculous) and are made to a very tight spec. Although your aluminum "groove" pattern many vary slightly from unit-to-unit (which is pretty cool, IMHO), the sound should be damn near identical, and in a blind test the IE 900 would always win :wink:

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Aug 25, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #4,347 of 4,902
Are mmcx connections on the i.e. 900 ridiculous reliable? Asking once again if anyone can provide user experience on the mmcx connections. Do they continue to work after a year or two without any issues. How do they handle slight bending due to the stiff ear hooks or natural head turning? Thanks for any information here as there seems to be some negative mmcx experiences circulating out there.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #4,348 of 4,902
Les connexions mmcx sur l'IE 900 sont-elles ridiculement fiables ? Je demande encore une fois si quelqu'un peut fournir une expérience utilisateur sur les connexions mmcx. Continuent-ils à travailler après un an ou deux sans aucun problème. Comment gèrent-ils une légère flexion due aux contours d'oreille rigides ou à la rotation naturelle de la tête ? Merci pour toute information ici, car il semble y avoir des expériences mmcx négatives qui circulent.
...J'ai le IE900 depuis février 2022, que j'utilise régulièrement (environ 1100 heures), et je n'ai jamais eu de problème avec les prises MMCX, au début j'ai dû changer les connexions et déconnexions pour essayer encore et encore différents câbles cinquante fois, et en rotation pour les réglages des oreilles, tout va bien. (fais-le doucement)
Vraiment pas de soucis de mon côté.

Aug 25, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #4,349 of 4,902
Are mmcx connections on the i.e. 900 ridiculous reliable? Asking once again if anyone can provide user experience on the mmcx connections. Do they continue to work after a year or two without any issues. How do they handle slight bending due to the stiff ear hooks or natural head turning? Thanks for any information here as there seems to be some negative mmcx experiences circulating out there.
The connectors are very strong and reliable in my experience

Users who are viewing this thread

Back