Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Jul 21, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #4,294 of 4,908
I removed the ear-hooks and memory wire completely in the end, the wire works better for me now and IMHO is better than using 3rd party cables that may cause extra stress on the IEM plastic surrounds. I do use this with the chin clasp and a shirt clip though.

cable mod.jpg

Jul 21, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #4,295 of 4,908
I removed the ear-hooks and memory wire completely in the end, the wire works better for me now and IMHO is better than using 3rd party cables that may cause extra stress on the IEM plastic surrounds. I do use this with the chin clasp and a shirt clip though.

cable mod.jpg
Is the IE 900 cable sticky for you too? Like when you go to coil it up, does it try to stick to itself? It’s such a weird material to make a cable out of. The IE Pro series black cable is a soft, smooth rubber (like the same feeling as their HD 660s cables.

Jul 21, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #4,296 of 4,908

Good to know it can be done without ruining the cables- seems like ie900 is a little light & small for such a stiff ear hook . Though I do find if using the "chin clasp" as a "neck slider" (the way musicians usually wear them behind the head and cinched up to the base of the skull) they can hold pretty securely, at least with my head shape.

Is the IE 900 cable sticky for you too? Like when you go to coil it up, does it try to stick to itself? It’s such a weird material to make a cable out of. The IE Pro series black cable is a soft, smooth rubber (like the same feeling as their HD 660s cables.

FWIW slightly tacky though not quite self-adhesive w/ my set- Sony's M9 has a similar coating, reminiscent of pvc tubing. Ultimately don't love it but not too bothersome (though makes me more uneasy than usual about how to clean them- don't want to pick the wrong cleaner and make it really sticky).

JVC's FD01 I think is my favorite ever cable (stock or otherwise), relatively smooth and had a nice heft to it without being outright chonky. Wish they sold them seperately.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #4,297 of 4,908
Hi everyone

Just got my IE 900 but last night changing ear tips the grill on the nozzle went away from its place and is broken by half, perhaps that's the reason it fell, wonder if this had some sort of impact on the sound, can't notice really, but wonder if I should ask for a warranty change or reimbursement, what do you guys think?

Aug 2, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #4,298 of 4,908
Good to know it can be done without ruining the cables- seems like ie900 is a little light & small for such a stiff ear hook . Though I do find if using the "chin clasp" as a "neck slider" (the way musicians usually wear them behind the head and cinched up to the base of the skull) they can hold pretty securely, at least with my head shape.

FWIW slightly tacky though not quite self-adhesive w/ my set- Sony's M9 has a similar coating, reminiscent of pvc tubing. Ultimately don't love it but not too bothersome (though makes me more uneasy than usual about how to clean them- don't want to pick the wrong cleaner and make it really sticky).

JVC's FD01 I think is my favorite ever cable (stock or otherwise), relatively smooth and had a nice heft to it without being outright chonky. Wish they sold them seperately.
Nope. Not sticky

Aug 3, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #4,299 of 4,908
Hi everyone

Just got my IE 900 but last night changing ear tips the grill on the nozzle went away from its place and is broken by half, perhaps that's the reason it fell, wonder if this had some sort of impact on the sound, can't notice really, but wonder if I should ask for a warranty change or reimbursement, what do you guys think?
If it was truly broken to begin with, I would have the whole unit replaced. My concern would be that was broken due to being subjected to excessive forces — perhaps being dropped? It it broke the grill, it may have also caused more damage that will o my become apparent over time.

On the other hand, it it broke due to something you may have done accidentally, I do t think it is essential to have it repaired. But I personally still would. I like knowing the filter is there minimizing chances of anything coming in.

Aug 3, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #4,300 of 4,908
If it was truly broken to begin with, I would have the whole unit replaced. My concern would be that was broken due to being subjected to excessive forces — perhaps being dropped? It it broke the grill, it may have also caused more damage that will o my become apparent over time.

On the other hand, it it broke due to something you may have done accidentally, I do t think it is essential to have it repaired. But I personally still would. I like knowing the filter is there minimizing chances of anything coming in.
Thanks for the answer mate, no, I think I did really nothing wrong, I was switching tips since I was trying to find the best for me, I had and have several other IEMS before, I removed the tip as I usually do, and the filter came down in two pieces, I can't see what could I have done wrong.
My concern is if it would change the sound without it.

Aug 3, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #4,301 of 4,908
Thanks for the answer mate, no, I think I did really nothing wrong, I was switching tips since I was trying to find the best for me, I had and have several other IEMS before, I removed the tip as I usually do, and the filter came down in two pieces, I can't see what could I have done wrong.
My concern is if it would change the sound without it.
If you just got the headphone, it's a 100% no-brainer to just get a replacement. Whether it changes the sound or not, for what you paid for it, you should be sure.

Another route is talking to Sennheiser about it. They would know best and which course of action to take. You won't find a definitive answer here on if it would change the sound, just opinions.

Aug 4, 2023 at 1:58 AM Post #4,302 of 4,908
The IE900 is very tip sensitive. If you're not hearing thunderously deep bass but get piercing treble, chances are you're probably not getting a good seal. Bass response is the best way to test for seal. The treble will then fall in line.
Absolutely! That is the litmus test for ie900 sounding right or not.

Aug 4, 2023 at 7:30 AM Post #4,303 of 4,908
No ear hooks on the Forza cable.
I went for the hybrid cable it's not shown on the Forza site but someone has the same cable and has put pictures up on here.
I think for people who are having issues with the fit the stock cable could be the main culprit.
For me a new cable changed them from being almost unusable to begin the most comfortable and best fitting I've had.
Reading through here there are many cables recommend and I have to assume they would also solve the problem.
I hope this helps.
Hey there. Do you have a link to the cable you purchased?

Also, has anyone heard about Sennheiser bringing their custom tip manufacturing to America? I’ve had the worst trouble with ear tips with the IE series and would kill to have the custom option here.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2023 at 8:33 AM Post #4,304 of 4,908
Hey there. Do you have a link to the cable you purchased?

Also, has anyone heard about Sennheiser bringing their custom tip manufacturing to America? I’ve had the worst trouble with ear tips with the IE series and would kill to have the custom option here.
I haven't heard any new details about them doing so in Germany so I guess we need to wait and see :)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back