Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
May 19, 2022 at 6:11 PM Post #3,723 of 4,908
Question, but are these earbuds better then the Shure se846?
For me - I have both these and the SE846's, better wouldn't be the word I would use - I find these more refined than the 846's but it isn't a night and day difference by any stretch.

May 19, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #3,724 of 4,908
They just sound way different, especially in the Treble department. If you don’t like SS ZZ TH, SE846 smooth them out (a little dark). SE846 stock cable is bad.
I upgraded from SE846 (had it for 6 years, still works, great build quality) to IE 600 and IE 900, very happy.

May 20, 2022 at 3:13 AM Post #3,725 of 4,908
The "Made in..." designation is applied at the location of assembly (illegal to do otherwise).

Remember, these are made in batches and then spend time in transit, at the retailer, etc. Even though manufacturing has moved to Ireland, there are likely a handful of German-produced units that still haven't been sold. I've heard both; zero differences except the minor change in the zip case aesthetics. Because there is zero performance difference I am confident it will be a footnote in the IE 900's history, not a chapter.

Edit: great question btw!
If so, does the 'Made in Germany' printed on the warranty card mean that even serial numbers after 7000 are made in a German factory?

May 20, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #3,727 of 4,908
to let you know: the "made in" thing is very precisely defined for different product categories.

required by law for the particular field, it is written like:
to be "made in germany" your added value in germany must fulfill one of the following (for example 5) options.

i read an article about "made in italy" textile industry and depending on the product category, the "added value" can be so mall but just enough to claim officially "made in italy". that is the reason why manufacturers tend to take the single one option that is the cheapest, fastest, and less complex way to go.

May 20, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #3,728 of 4,908
Here is a small mod I did with the stock cable. You can remove the memory wire, and carefully apply heat to shape the ear hook.

I don't know why it wasn't done from the factory.

Be careful not to get it too close to the heat, trick is make the plastic warm and bend it.
20220515_144107.jpg
1. How do you remove the memory wire?
2. Would this trick work with the IE 400 Pro?
3. Does the heat make it stay it's shape perfectly or does it relax over time?

Also, does anyone know how the IE 900 compares to the IE 400 Pro? I love my 400 Pro, so would I also love the IE 900? I'll use the same 400 Pro tips as the large tips fit and seal very well on me.

May 20, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #3,729 of 4,908

Also, does anyone know how the IE 900 compares to the IE 400 Pro? I love my 400 Pro, so would I also love the IE 900? I'll use the same 400 Pro tips as the large tips fit and seal very well on me.
You need to use a wire cutter and carefully cut over the plastic on both end.
Use tweezers to remove the wire.
Without heat, the plastic will not keep it a shapes. For my unit the hear has fix the shape.

But be careful as it easy to melt the plastic .

May 21, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #3,730 of 4,908

Proceed with caution though. Not sure if this will void the warranty. Personally I would not do it because it is not a big deal for me. As for the comparison, the IE900 is much better than the 400 pro especially in terms of clarity and how natural sounding it is. Go get it!

May 25, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #3,731 of 4,908
I tried them and I returned them.
Well powered SE846s have more body, bass, mids and way better isolation.
The IE900s have more treble. And sometimes it is unbearable. With bad recordings this situation gets even worse….
The IE 900s are a very good single driver offering but the magic of the SE846 still reigns supreme.

May 25, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #3,732 of 4,908
I tried them and I returned them.
Well powered SE846s have more body, bass, mids and way better isolation.
The IE900s have more treble. And sometimes it is unbearable. With bad recordings this situation gets even worse….
The IE 900s are a very good single driver offering but the magic of the SE846 still reigns supreme.
Respectfully that is "your" opinion, the IE 900 is obviously not for you.

I own both the IE900 and the SE846 and appreciate both and wouldn't part with either.

Everyone has a unique pair of ears and as always one should try before buying if at all possible. Reviews and others opinions can only ever be used as a guide.

May 25, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #3,733 of 4,908

I own both the IE900 and the SE846 and appreciate both and wouldn't part with either.

Everyone has a unique pair of ears and as always one should try before buying if at all possible. Reviews and others opinions can only ever be used as a guide.
So true, that is why I, with my ears, like the Fiio FH7 so much that I sometimes listen with them for hours and not with my other, much much more expensive IEMs.

May 25, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #3,734 of 4,908

Obviously, it is my opinion. After all this is a thread and all posts are comments based on personal views.
On a side note, even objective reviews on iems are compromised since factors like insertion depth, seal, ear shape, tips, output impedance, source compatibility are crucial.
I even mentioned that the IE900s are very good but it was never my intention to keep more than one IEM and this is why I returned them.

May 25, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #3,735 of 4,908
SE846 vs IE 900 is certainly an interesting comparison, especially with the former being close to 10 years old (how time flies). I think there's merit in owning both these IEMs. I in no way can see calling one better than the other, which I think is very complementary to the SE846 because of how old it is.

The energy in the 846's mids is something I've found hard to find elsewhere. It may be the main reason I haven't sold off my pair despite upgrading over the years. Newer offerings have highlighted the 846's shortcomings, but they're such a fun, pleasant sound signature, with "enough" detail.

However, technically-speaking, they just don't have the resolution of the IE 900. They just don't. And not just in the treble (although, especially on the treble). Bass is a tight comparison. The 900 has more body, especially sub-bass, while the 846 has more punch in the mid-bass. There was a point in my journey (think when I got the KSE) when I realized how lacking the 846 was in sub-bass. Also, as typical with Sennheiser's, the 900 has a warmer, more natural tonality, while the 846 is cleaner/leaner.

FYI, I've used the 846 with a lot of gear over the years. Know how to work them :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back