Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Mar 25, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #3,527 of 4,902
I was lurking at the ifi gryphon but I take your recommandation .. thanks
Haven't heard the Gryphon but I have the Diablo... and the WA8 is a better combo~ its really versatile and a sleeper gem!

Mar 26, 2022 at 7:28 AM Post #3,529 of 4,902
Would have to say that even after 300+hours and with the Sony hybrid tips, my 900s can still be sibilant on occasion (SR25 can blow a bit hot). Hope that will burn out/in eventually (either on the IEM or the DAP).
The recent jump in the thickness seems resulting from the low part and more noticeably in low mid.. so it may have impact on global signature by taming the perception of the high.. anyway the sibilance I could perceived on few pop (average recording ?) songs in the first month is almost totally gone.. i use the Sedna classic after countless obsessive swapping 🙇‍♂️ .. all others I tried brought me too much emphasis on highs

Mar 26, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #3,531 of 4,902
I wonder if someone who has experience with both the IE800S and 900 could chime in and compare them for an inquisitive mind like me? I'm mainly interested in sound and comfort of the two. Currently rocking an IE800S with Chord Mojo and WA8 and wonder if an upgrade would be worth it. I'm a detail freak but also like if the earbuds sit comfortably in my ears. Thank you in advance.
You can do a comparative listen in below review.. If you are a detail freak, then IE900 is definitely un upgrade over IE800s

Mar 27, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #3,532 of 4,902
I wonder if someone who has experience with both the IE800S and 900 could chime in and compare them for an inquisitive mind like me? I'm mainly interested in sound and comfort of the two. Currently rocking an IE800S with Chord Mojo and WA8 and wonder if an upgrade would be worth it. I'm a detail freak but also like if the earbuds sit comfortably in my ears. Thank you in advance.

Not on hand for A/Bing. (Only kept the ie900)

But from memory.

IE900 is an upgrade from Ie800S. They both do the same, but ie900 more tamed to not mask things.

IE800 (not S) is the real pinnacle of this tonality target. Less bass (flat), so the dip in the upper-mids doesn't need to compete with anything and still presents details. This created a really nice soundstage for gaming & movies. It would draw you into a scene's ambience. (Not really for music or vocals)

Highly recommend the ie800 for a niche and unique presentation. While the ie800S is obsolete in my opinion; ie900 takes its place. I got no opinion about the ie600.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #3,534 of 4,902
any dac dongle that works well with ie 900?
I was thinking of the cayin ru-6.
Any recommendation?

I've been using my IE900 out of an RU-6 for the last few weeks and its been a great combo for me. I've got my desktop rig and other gear packed up for an upcoming move, so I can't really give any direct comparisons, but with the RU-6 --> IE900 combo I don't feel in any rush to unpack the desktop rig and am completely satisfied with my portable set up at the moment. R2R with a resistor array volume control in a portable package at that price sounded like a slam dunk to me and it hasn't disappointed, though maybe others can chime in with direct comparisons to other sources for you.

Mar 30, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #3,535 of 4,902
Any recommendation?
#teamGryphon but it's a bit of a stretch to call it a "dongle"

Mar 30, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #3,537 of 4,902
Any recommendation?
Just another opinion but I'm quite acclimated to the Dragonfly Red and love it's "house sound" with the IE 900. It does well with starting out with a nice black backdrop.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Mar 31, 2022 at 10:18 AM Post #3,538 of 4,902
Posted here when purchased IE 900 :)
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sen...ments-harman-target-talk.957709/post-16671043
I used both of them with Dragonfly Cobalt.

IE 900 is so much better in SQ. It's definetely a new level of quality.I don't want to listen to IE800S after IE900.
For example IE800S didn't impressed me at all after IE800. I didn't noticed improvements.

But wow IE900 do impress me...
I would say it's 30 - 40 % better in everything related to sound. I would even say they’re diferent league and there is no point in comparing these two.

I’ve just compared them once again with these tracks on Tidal:
Yarmak - Вставай ( hifi )
SKÁLD - Ginnunga ( master quality )
Who We Are - MVMB ( hifi )

When i put IE800S they sound not bad
When i put IE900 i go to parralel universe
When i started to listen to IE800S after IE900 i had a feeling that some veil appeared and covering the sound.
So much details were lost.

The only thing which is better in IE800S is the comfort. You put them on and forget about them.

Comfort with IE 900 isn’t great:
- stock tips aren't convenient due to small thickness, seal is often lost. And sound is getting worser when using tips from another manufacturers.
- over ear wearing method is less conveniet then traditional for me

The things which i like with IE900 after IE800 S
- Superb sound Quality
- Ability to fully change cable
- Supplied case which i actually using daily

Attachments

• IMG_5706.JPG
    IMG_5706.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2022-03-31 at 16.57.33.png
    Screenshot 2022-03-31 at 16.57.33.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 5, 2022 at 10:36 PM Post #3,540 of 4,902
for people who have owned the IE900's, how easily do they get physically damaged ? I just got my pair yesterday and I want to know how well I should be careful with these lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back