Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Jan 7, 2022 at 2:36 AM Post #2,971 of 4,837
If I absolutely had to pick just one based on SQ alone and nothing else, it would be Z1R, but luckily I don't have to choose.

As soon as you take other factors into account the choice becomes even more difficult, and there are definitely times where I'd pick IE 900 first (which is why I have both).

I agree 100% with this ....
Z1R is a bit more impressive for SQ on some points ... but taking care of overall factors the IE900 is "THE" real IEM to keep.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2022 at 3:36 AM Post #2,973 of 4,837
I love the IE 900. I love the Z1R. I don't think I'd want to part with either. I completely get what you're saying about how natural IE 900 sounds - I've sold Fourte, Legend X and EVO since getting IE 900, and mainly because of how 'easy and natural' the Senns sound with almost any music. IE 900 are also the most comfortable IEMs I've ever used, which makes them the first I reach for when I don't want to fuss and just listen to music.

But, BUT, to me Z1R is a step up, sonically and technically. There's not much in it at this level, but even a slight improvement or refinement on an already outstanding IEM like IE 900 is a big deal, and Z1R does both. Of course that's just my subjective opinion based on the music I listen to, tips I use, sources I pair with, and the fact that Z1R fit me like a glove (I'm one of the chosen few in that regard). So much so that I've ended my IEM journey with these two, and it'll take a massively impressive IEM to displace either of them in the foreseeable future.

2022_03 copy.jpg
I used to own Z1R and have auditioned for long periods of time the IE900 (I am waiting for IE900 restock to buy it). I agree with all of this.

Jan 7, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #2,974 of 4,837
So I actually didn't believe IE900 would scale greatly from M17 to Pro iCAN Signature but... I just gave it a shot and... it does!

Especially in solid state mode IE900 is a more open sounding IEM with a significantly bigger stage and bass is less prominent. Out of Pro iCAN the IE900 is a different beast (XLR output to 4.4, not the iEMatched 4.4 that just doesn't match the SQ...duh). Switching to tube mode, I get something very much alike to what M17 is providing me...

I am actually stunned and glad I did plug it today :heart_eyes:

Last but not least using the 3D switch on SS mode (I hate EQ but iFi Audio has some good analogue "EQ" of sorts) it just brings everything to a new level with more medium presence.

Just wow.

The timbre is spot on and IE900 is more lively.
This baby needs juice and scales big time...

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #2,975 of 4,837
So I actually didn't believe IE900 would scale greatly from M17 to Pro iCAN Signature but... I just gave it a shot and... it does!

Especially in solid state mode IE900 is a more open sounding IEM with a significantly bigger stage and bass is less prominent. Out of Pro iCAN the IE900 is a different beast (XLR output to 4.4, not the iEMatched 4.4 that just doesn't match the SQ...duh). Switching to tube mode, I get something very much alike to what M17 is providing me...

Last but not least using the 3D switch on SS mode (I hate EQ but iFi Audio has some good analogue "EQ" of sorts) it just brings everything to a new level with more medium presence.

Just wow.

The IE900 actually scales really beautiful. Its not like other some headphones where they sound kinda bad without a bit of horsepower but whenever i come from my mobile setup to my homesetup i notice how much more i can get out the RME ADI-2 DAC in comparison to the Qudelix 5k (no matter if i use bluetooth or usb). The Bass is fuller and cleaner, the soundstage is wider with much better imaging and especially seperation and the details get pushed to 11.
Lots of reviewers said any clean source will work great and while it works i cant recommend enough at least trying out a little more sophisticated setup with them to see what they are capable of.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #2,976 of 4,837

Just wow.

I heard the IE 900 off a Chord Dave a while back. I really wish I hadn't. I don't want to be chained to a desk again! 😭

Jan 8, 2022 at 7:13 AM Post #2,977 of 4,837
I heard the IE 900 off a Chord Dave a while back. I really wish I hadn't. I don't want to be chained to a desk again! 😭
Yeah that's the big downside that always kept me with DAPs and IEMs... now I am looking for a comfortable chair for my desk so that I can listen comfortably...

Jan 8, 2022 at 11:18 PM Post #2,978 of 4,837
I am so happy with my IE900 that I sold off almost all of my earphones. These past few weeks sold a bunch of Shures, the Andromeda and even MTW2 which was my fave EDC.

Now I wanted to save up for a TOTL DAP with the spare cash I got from them but I feel like buying another IEM. The Legend X. This hobby is so dangerous! Help me hahaha.

Never felt like this since I had my first IEM which is the Aurisonics AG-1 back in 2012. Now the IE900 is making me feeling like I need to keep doing these inpulse and blind buying again :sweat_smile:

Jan 11, 2022 at 4:22 AM Post #2,979 of 4,837
Got these today.

Wow they flew under the radar, I truthfully brushed these off since release.

Compares very favourably among my current owned top iem’s (MEST Indigo, KSE, Z1R, MEST OG).

More thoughts to come :)

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jan 11, 2022 at 5:06 AM Post #2,980 of 4,837
Got these today.

Wow they flew under the radar, I truthfully brushed these off since release.

Compares very favourably among my current owned top iem’s (MEST Indigo, KSE, Z1R, MEST OG).

More thoughts to come :)
Welcome to the club!

Jan 11, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #2,981 of 4,837
Soo..got these in a trade a couple of days ago. Like everybody I was struggling with fit with stock tips plus plenty of other aftermarket tips. Until I found these https://www.thomann.de/ie/sennheiser_ie_40_pro_m.htm

They are VERY similar to stock medium silicon but with slightly longer stem, slightly bigger size and thicker silicon so they don’t collapse like the stock. They also have the foam inside like the stock silicon. If you like the sound of the stock silicon, you may want to give these a shot :wink: I’m waiting for aet07 to be delivered as they seem to be the most popular tips here for ie 900 and I’ll compare them with these and with the stock foam (which I like as well but I’m not usually into foam).

Hopefully this info can be useful :)

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2022 at 4:04 AM Post #2,983 of 4,837
Glad to have gotten the IE900 in my collection!

Cracks the top 5!
DAD54FCA-7199-47B0-9466-A05C20C19B5D.jpeg
B2E782B8-B418-4629-AB55-AD44878E173A.jpeg
8CB26D6C-99D8-4530-81D5-EA69F96C7F44.jpeg

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back