Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Jul 16, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #1,771 of 4,836
Recording practices aside, I don't think that matters quite much in this scenario because other IEMs/headphones (at least what I have) don't have this "sibilance issue" from the track.

Where did you get the file? My file originated from ALAC 24/96. Then again, recording quality matters more than file formats...
Straight off the URL supplied.

Jul 16, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #1,772 of 4,836
Gentlemen (and ladies), my FULL REVIEW of the IE 900 is now live HERE. Make yourselves some coffee, maybe some lunch, plus a snack or two...it's a big one! I hope you find it useful. Feel free to hit me up in the comments, on this thread, or by PM. Enjoy!

IE900_15.jpg

Fantastic review - I mentioned a planned break from IE 900 but I felt it would be rude not to pop them in while reading your review!

As I'm still learning the 'language', it's great to read a review like this that really helps me link what I hear with the technical description.

Good to hear your reference also to the stereo speakers type experience, it really is unique for me in my short time in the IEM hobby and its nice to hear from someone who clearly has far more experience with IEMs sharing this sense.

Also, Legend X now a contender for next purchase!

Jul 16, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #1,773 of 4,836
Uncomfortably bright sometimes? Yes, it happened on maybe 10% of my material, and that's why i EQ the treble down, what works for me is -2dB, Q=0.9, at 7500Hz on my PAW6000.
Sibilant? No, i never had this issue with IE900.
This makes sense, and fits the design goals. There is a bit of treble lift (carefully tailored by the 3XR system), but the sibilants are addressed by the design of the acoustic vortex. I think you understand that sibilance isn’t the same thing as elevated treble… sibilants are the lisping and overly sharp “s” sounds in vocals.

You can create a song (or video, I’ve done it by accident while editing) that will sound sibilant even in the most veiled, soft, dulled sounding headphone, simply by overly compressing the volume dynamic range so that the leading and trailing edges of “ess” sounds are all the same volume and “hot” towards the top end of the DAC’s sample rate. A similar thing can happen with cymbals. De-esser tools used during the mastering phase can detect these moments and alleviate them somewhat, but perhaps not all the time. So, yes poor mastering will make sibilants more prominent, but they’re also more prominent when compressing the bitrate of a music file (it’s a more reliable way to tell the difference between a 196 kbs or 256 kbps MP3 and a hi-res file).

I know this isn't a track but this was when I first noticed it pretty noticeably. You only need to watch the first 5 seconds...

https://www.crunchyroll.com/86-eigh...-poppies-bloom-red-on-the-battlefield-811089\
If it’s any sort of validation for you, I’m 34 (more importantly, I can hear frequency sweeps up to 17 kHz), and I can clearly hear the compression artifacts on the narrator’s “ess” sounds in that Crunchyroll video, even with my iMac’s built-in speakers.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #1,774 of 4,836
Gentlemen (and ladies), my FULL REVIEW of the IE 900 is now live HERE. Make yourselves some coffee, maybe some lunch, plus a snack or two...it's a big one! I hope you find it useful. Feel free to hit me up in the comments, on this thread, or by PM. Enjoy!

I already said this in a comment on your review, but wow… what a gift to the community! So many questions answered, and yeah, those artistic photos are very enjoyable for me. Maybe pop one or two into the “Post Your Photography Here #2” thread?

Fantastic review - I mentioned a planned break from IE 900 but I felt it would be rude not to pop them in while reading your review!

As I'm still learning the 'language', it's great to read a review like this that really helps me link what I hear with the technical description.

Every time I think I’m out, they just reel me back in! 😂

I agree, GLer’s review is very educational. Don’t be intimidated though! There’s always space for more reviews and perspectives, one of the nice things about reviews is that they aren’t competitive (or at least, don’t have to be).

As a former reviewer myself, my biggest challenge was overcoming writers block… which I solved by asking myself “why, how, and who?” and starting with an outline. Breaking it up into an outline like that and filling in the pieces made things much easier for me.

As far as terminology goes… yeah, there’s a fair few! I need to get back into filming education videos on my YouTube channel, which I restarted last year specifically to focus on how things work and how to explain things. As long as calamity doesn’t interrupt again, I hope to make more videos soon!

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #1,775 of 4,836
Thanks @Chris Kaoss @Vitaly2017 @Scuba Devils and @Evshrug. Always nice to read positive feedback. I'm my own worst critic! Also I wrote the review in stages over two weeks so I really hope it's coherent (like the IE 900 ha ha). 😁🙏🏻

Jul 16, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #1,776 of 4,836
2D37677A-E63A-43EA-BDEE-B41C08AC77C6.jpeg
74FCF51B-9F8B-40F6-A1CA-1FF8721F5421.jpeg
96122C49-D3B7-4A86-97F2-CF7B6914244E.jpeg
Here are some of my photos with the beautiful IE 900

Jul 16, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #1,777 of 4,836
Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Jul 16, 2021 at 8:44 PM Post #1,778 of 4,836

IE900_15.jpg
Great review! I like the writing style and the in-depth look.
I haven't tried the Acoustune AET07, so I just ordered some today.

Jul 17, 2021 at 12:11 AM Post #1,780 of 4,836
After stalking this thread and others i've decided to grab the IE 900! It was between it and the MEST MK2 but i think I will be happy with the IE 900. Anyone have any dac/amp/dap recommendations? I was thinking of the L&P W2 to pair with it. This will be my first high end IEM.

Jul 17, 2021 at 1:09 AM Post #1,781 of 4,836
After stalking this thread and others i've decided to grab the IE 900! It was between it and the MEST MK2 but i think I will be happy with the IE 900. Anyone have any dac/amp/dap recommendations? I was thinking of the L&P W2 to pair with it. This will be my first high end IEM.
You replied to me recommending em on the other thread too! I’m glad you decided to go with them, excited to hear your thoughts!

Jul 17, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #1,782 of 4,836
You replied to me recommending em on the other thread too! I’m glad you decided to go with them, excited to hear your thoughts!
Yeah Labbed I think you may be right that it just perhaps is my perfect sound signature. We'll see and thanks for the rec!

Jul 17, 2021 at 11:08 PM Post #1,784 of 4,836
Hi everyone, new to the forum, I hope everyone is well. Received my ie 900 on Friday. I started noticing some issues as follows:
1, there is a thick glue coating between the mmcx head and the aluminium body.
2, same side again, some ZZZ noise under certain high frequency of listening.
I hope I'm the only one, a bit disappointed so far.

Jul 18, 2021 at 12:15 AM Post #1,785 of 4,836
What? :angry:
For 1.200,- USD price?
I´m a bit disappointed with you...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back