Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Nov 1, 2023 at 11:02 PM Post #4,427 of 4,948
Can someone suggest an upgraded cable for the IE900 that can enhance the mid and vocal performance? My combo is with Hifiman Hm901r. Everything with the stock cable is nearly perfect for me, except for the mid-range, which I'd like to bring forward. Thanks!

Nov 7, 2023 at 2:12 AM Post #4,428 of 4,948
Hello everybody,

Recently, i've been having some issues with my IE900 and i'm asking for your help in determining if this is really an issue or if it's normal behavior. The left ear-bud has some very noticeable distotion(i think). It's a snarly sound that comes and which i can replicate by listening to one particular song (which i'll post below) but it also appears during others (albeit a bit harder to replicate). I have listened to that specific song on other headphones and i can't replicate the effect so before starting an RMA with the retailer, i'd like to kindly ask you, IE900 owners, to try and listen to 10 seconds out of a song and please, post here (via reply) to let me know if it's normal or an issue.

I deeply appreciate any help i can get on this.

Assembly Line - starting from 02:49

Kind regards,
Chris F.

Nov 7, 2023 at 8:03 AM Post #4,429 of 4,948
Hello everybody,

Recently, i've been having some issues with my IE900 and i'm asking for your help in determining if this is really an issue or if it's normal behavior. The left ear-bud has some very noticeable distotion(i think). It's a snarly sound that comes and which i can replicate by listening to one particular song (which i'll post below) but it also appears during others (albeit a bit harder to replicate). I have listened to that specific song on other headphones and i can't replicate the effect so before starting an RMA with the retailer, i'd like to kindly ask you, IE900 owners, to try and listen to 10 seconds out of a song and please, post here (via reply) to let me know if it's normal or an issue.

Kind regards,
Chris F.
Loose connection is my 2 cents

Nov 7, 2023 at 9:11 AM Post #4,430 of 4,948
Hello everybody,

Kind regards,
Chris F.
Is that the actual source you're listening to (ie YouTube)?

Nov 7, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #4,431 of 4,948
Loose connection is my 2 cents
Triple-checked and even switched the L/R connectors
Is that the actual source you're listening to (ie YouTube)?
God, no. As i wrote in the OP, i listen to locally stored music. Most are ALACs (using an iPhone) but even those that are mp3s/aac are of the best quality.
The same file has been played on my headphones (HD800S/820 and HeKse) and not a hint of distortion.

That’s why i asked for other users’ help. Maybe there are particular songs that cause this behavior on the IE900.

Nov 7, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #4,432 of 4,948
Hello everybody,

Kind regards,
Chris F.
Nevermind, i just got home and once again, swapped the channels so i got R channel into left earbud and the distortion / rattling was off the charts. The sound that comes in at that particular moment is way more present in the right channel (in the normal configuration, R to R and L to L, there are zero issues with the right earbud). The IEMs are broken and off to the retailer they go.

Nov 7, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #4,433 of 4,948
Nevermind, i just got home and once again, swapped the channels so i got R channel into left earbud and the distortion / rattling was off the charts. The sound that comes in at that particular moment is way more present in the right channel (in the normal configuration, R to R and L to L, there are zero issues with the right earbud). The IEMs are broken and off to the retailer they go.
Glad you got it figured out. Good idea to test the way you did

Nov 20, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #4,435 of 4,948
All, if you’ve been on the fence about picking these up, now is the time. They’re $999.99 direct from Sennheiser now. I picked up mine for 999 in July, and I’ve listened to them every day. They’re fantastic. I enjoy them more than my U12T.

Nov 21, 2023 at 8:30 AM Post #4,436 of 4,948
Hey all,

Looking for a portable solution for my IE 900 setup. I'm considering mid range DAPs, but would prefer a dongle day to run with my iPhone 15 pro Max (simply so that I have the data option for streaming and for the UI). Currently using the BTR5 (2021) because of BT ability, but wanted to see if there are any others worth considering for pure SQ for the IE 900?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2023 at 8:38 AM Post #4,438 of 4,948
Hey all,

Looking for a portable solution for my IE 900 setup. I'm considering mid range DAPs, but would prefer a dongle day to run with my iPhone 15 pro Max (simply so that I have the data option for streaming and for the UI). Currently using the BTR5 (2021) because of BT ability, but wanted to see if there are any others worth considering for pure SQ for the IE 900?

Thanks in advance.
The Apple dongle works just fine with these - both the lightning and the USB-C one. When I’m not running mine off of my 1Z DAP, I’m using an Apple dongle. The sound is great.

Obviously, if you want a wireless/BT option, the BTR is pretty well-regarded too.

Nov 21, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #4,439 of 4,948
The Apple dongle works just fine with these - both the lightning and the USB-C one. When I’m not running mine off of my 1Z DAP, I’m using an Apple dongle. The sound is great.

Obviously, if you want a wireless/BT option, the BTR is pretty well-regarded too.
Thanks. Yes, I find that the apple dongle is fine too but leaves a lot to be desired, if that makes sense?

Nov 21, 2023 at 9:19 AM Post #4,440 of 4,948
Hey all,

Thanks in advance.
Love it with my Mojo2/Poly combo, though the Poly isn't quite as easy to use as Bluetooth, so I cautiously recommend it. Worth it to me, superb sounding portable system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back