Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Dec 30, 2021 at 6:26 AM Post #2,851 of 4,836
I went back to Xelento large tips (Dark Vador's helmet style) ... and, after all, those ultra soft tips are probably the most comfortable I could use with a very good seal/external noise-cancelling and still a very good sound quality.

For many months now, I was used to connecting the IE900 in balance mode with a Qudelix 5K, but, this morning, after giving a try with the Fiio M17 => I am just amazed by the sound quality difference between the two combos. The Qudelix 5K is even clearly clipping in 2V or 4V even in Performance mode playing Max Richter's Cradle to the Grave (@1min) !!!!!

So now ... I want to find another alternative to the Qudelix 5K. Should I go to ifi blu go or shanling UP5 ? Or will they clip in low and ultra frequencies too like with the Qudelix 5K ? does some have any experience with those 2 BT5.0 adapters ?

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 7:31 AM Post #2,852 of 4,836
So now ... I want to find another alternative to the Qudelix 5K. Should I go to ifi blu go or shanling UP5 ? Or will they clip in low and ultra frequencies too like with the Qudelix 5K ? does some have any experience with those 2 BT5.0 adapters ?
After a 3h walk with UP5+IE900 I just finished I may conclude it's more than enough. Power wise I still have head room (high gain - 50/64) and it jams as it should. Sure it's no Gryphon or a DAP, but for that pocket friendly form factor it does the job. Any particular songs you'd like me to check for clipping?

On another note, the IE900 might be the comfiest universal I own, no issues with fit (the Falcons and the Hero require some fiddling, WFs form hotspots sometimes). Hopefully we'll get more low profile IEMs in the future and finally escape the limbo that is multidriver configurations.

Dec 30, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #2,853 of 4,836
Any particular songs you'd like me to check for clipping?

If you could try Max Richter Cradle to the Grave (Hostiles album) between 55" to 1'10 .. My IE 900 is clipping with Qudelix 5K and not at all with the FIIO M17.
Thank you.

Dec 30, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #2,854 of 4,836
I went back to Xelento large tips (Dark Vador's helmet style) ... and, after all, those ultra soft tips are probably the most comfortable I could use with a very good seal/external noise-cancelling and still a very good sound quality.

For many months now, I was used to connecting the IE900 in balance mode with a Qudelix 5K, but, this morning, after giving a try with the Fiio M17 => I am just amazed by the sound quality difference between the two combos. The Qudelix 5K is even clearly clipping in 2V or 4V even in Performance mode playing Max Richter's Cradle to the Grave (@1min) !!!!!

I own the UP5, Go Blu and BTR5 and had the 5k too. In terms of raw power, Go Blu is definitely the obvious choice. I prefer it to all others for SQ too. However it has some potential drawbacks. No dedicated app and weaker BT range. Not a problem for me and my use case though, which is to use on the go and out and about, but it’s something to consider.

Dec 30, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #2,855 of 4,836
I don't know why, a few months ago, I didn't go to the Large Xelento tips on the IE 900 and I stopped with the medium size..
I will see the next days, but, actually I am really impressed with those today, particularly with the Fiio M17 as DAP so comfortable in the ears (far less inserted inside my ear canal than my usual AZLA SednaEarfitLight) and it offers rich sound quality !!!!
IE900 - Xelento Tips small size.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #2,859 of 4,836
Just tried out balanced and unbalanced with the 5K and i couldnt detect any clipping in balanced mode. In Unbalanced however at the max volume i would use in some tracks i could get them to distort. This is very rare tho and only when im at volumes where the music will hurt my ears after a few minutes. I think thats also why the balanced is considerd sounding better because it doesnt get nearly as close the the edge of what the 5K can deliver without problems. Most of the time its fine but if im gone a little longer from my home setup (vacation or something) i definitely will swap cables to balanced. Of course they dont sound as good as on my RME ADI-2 DAC but no idea how you get to clipping in balanced.
Sounds like something is wrong either with your 5k or with the way you set it up.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #2,860 of 4,836
Are the ie900 any good for gaming? I know that optimum tech uses the ie300 these days. Looking to get rid of my hd800s/rme adi 2 and switch to IEMs.

The UTWS5 seems interesting because I could potentially just connect those through Bluetooth and call it a day (for gaming). Has a built in mic too which prob sounds like poop compared to my MKH416 but that’s fine, at least it’s there.

Dec 30, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #2,861 of 4,836
Are the ie900 any good for gaming? I know that optimum tech uses the ie300 these days. Looking to get rid of my hd800s/rme adi 2 and switch to IEMs.

The UTWS5 seems interesting because I could potentially just connect those through Bluetooth and call it a day (for gaming). Has a built in mic too which prob sounds like poop compared to my MKH416 but that’s fine, at least it’s there.
Funny thing is i actually changed to using my IE900 for gaming as well. (On the RME ADI-2 even)
For me the crazy good imaging and wide soundstage (for an closed back iem at least) really set them apart and are a huge uplift over the IE300 optimum tech uses. The IE900 almost feels like its made with gaming in mind but could also just be them being the incredible allrounder again. I really cannot go back to full time over ear for my gaming setup because the comfort is just too good.

Dec 30, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #2,862 of 4,836
Funny thing is i actually changed to using my IE900 for gaming as well. (On the RME ADI-2 even)
For me the crazy good imaging and wide soundstage (for an closed back iem at least) really set them apart and are a huge uplift over the IE300 optimum tech uses. The IE900 almost feels like its made with gaming in mind but could also just be them being the incredible allrounder again. I really cannot go back to full time over ear for my gaming setup because the comfort is just too good.
Nice, im thinking of retiring my HD800s for the IE900. Just bought the ifi Gryphon as well :) Gonna test with the Mojo, ADI 2, etc. Probably getting rid of ADI 2 though, seems overkill. And my Babyface Pro FS honestly even does well for HD800s so that might be a good option.

Do you guys use the balanced cable and notice any diff over 3.5mm?

Dec 31, 2021 at 3:27 AM Post #2,863 of 4,836
So you recommend the IE 900 for FPS games like CS:GO? I have not tried it with IE 900 yet. I have been playing with my old trusty Game Zero which is the closed back headphone since it has mic.

Dec 31, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #2,864 of 4,836
So you recommend the IE 900 for FPS games like CS:GO? I have not tried it with IE 900 yet. I have been playing with my old trusty Game Zero which is the closed back headphone since it has mic.
Highly recommend it. Even though they are obviously kinda overkill i think they are pretty much the best Gaming IEMs you can have.

Dec 31, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #2,865 of 4,836
Nice, im thinking of retiring my HD800s for the IE900. Just bought the ifi Gryphon as well :) Gonna test with the Mojo, ADI 2, etc. Probably getting rid of ADI 2 though, seems overkill. And my Babyface Pro FS honestly even does well for HD800s so that might be a good option.

Do you guys use the balanced cable and notice any diff over 3.5mm?
I remain with my opinion on that. The only real advantage of the balanced cable for normal users is that you can push more power. If your source is capable of running unbalanced without getting close to the max power output there isnt a difference

Users who are viewing this thread

Back