Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Oct 14, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #2,506 of 4,913
Oct 14, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #2,508 of 4,913
Oct 15, 2021 at 5:41 AM Post #2,513 of 4,913
Listening to Coldplay - Music of the Spheres -> N6ii -> A02 -> Periodic Audio Nickel, one word Awesome.

This combo honestly brings out the best in the ie900 (other combos are available) :)

Happy listening everyone and have a great weekend!
The Periodic Audio Nickel is amazing.
I own them a review...

Oct 15, 2021 at 5:51 AM Post #2,514 of 4,913
Listening to Coldplay - Music of the Spheres -> N6ii -> A02 -> Periodic Audio Nickel, one word Awesome.

This combo honestly brings out the best in the ie900 (other combos are available) :)

Happy listening everyone and have a great weekend!

Looking forward to trying n6ii - going for the Ti with R01, can't wait to hear it with IE900 and others!

Oct 16, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #2,515 of 4,913
So I managed to find an alternate store that had one left. Feeling pretty lucky, as these are hard to come by these days.

20211016_121148_2.jpg

Intriguing listen for sure. I would say I'm wow'd by them at first listen. Gonna hold off my complete impression until ample time and ear-adjusting to them. What shouldn't be a surprise is the bass is what grabbed my attention immediately, for better or worse. I knew these things were gonna be bass-strong, but it's more than would've thought Senn would do for a flapship. And I've only listened using my neutral Hugo 2 so far.

Unless you're a basshead, I would not recommend this is an only headphone. But in a collection, it's definitely one to have. To me it's a properly done IER-Z1R, which to me was a super fun IEM but missing refinement that the IE-900 corrects: a much less intrusive dip in the mids and crisper treble. It has a similarly wide soundstage like the Z1R, and maybe even stronger low-end (going by memory, as I haven't had the Z1R in a while). Senn also always has a natural and cohesive tone that I appreciate.

At this early point, I don't see this replacing my KSE1200, and honestly, it isn't technically close. It's easily discernable when analyzing the bass, since it's so loud. It's a good quality but doesn't have the micro details that the KSE and my Utopia reveal so easily. I am quite impressed with the IE-900's treble tho. It's super crisp and articulated without going over the edge to peaky. I am quite used to the KSE's treble though, which can be fatiguing. In comparison, the IE-900's treble is just right.

With fit, I totally get most peoples' criticism with seal. It was my hope that Senn would've learned from the IE-800's tips, but they're done in similar fashion here. They're stubby and and too soft (which affects both the chance of a good seal and isolation). Just like the IE-800, I have to shove them deep in my ears and play with them a bit to get a proper seal. But I guess nothing I'm not used to. Just something Senn should have improved by now. Fit can make/break an earphone; it's an important thing.

I like the look/feel of the cables a lot. I get peoples' complaint about the ear hooks/memory wire. My KSE has a similar offense. So again, if I wasn't used to it, I'd be complaining too. I have a Linum SuperBaX cable that I may try, if the MMCX socket fits.

All-in-all, I foresee the IE-900 being the set I have for causal listening (i.e. while working, travelling, just want to chill or want a bassy listen). It's the most balance I've heard between pleasantness and detail. But if you're an analytical listener like a lot of us on Head-Fi are, I would not recommend this as a primary headphone.

Oct 17, 2021 at 5:51 AM Post #2,516 of 4,913
With fit, I totally get most peoples' criticism with seal. It was my hope that Senn would've learned from the IE-800's tips, but they're done in similar fashion here. They're stubby and and too soft (which affects both the chance of a good seal and isolation). Just like the IE-800, I have to shove them deep in my ears and play with them a bit to get a proper seal. But I guess nothing I'm not used to. Just something Senn should have improved by now. Fit can make/break an earphone; it's an important thing.
I second this. Problem is in my ears the casing of the headphones can rub on my ear when i push them too far. Thats also why i ordered some custom sleeves. Gonna post my impressions how good they are with the IE900 here if someone is interested.

Oct 17, 2021 at 8:39 AM Post #2,517 of 4,913
I also cant get a consistent and reliable seal with the Senn tips, or any other tips, on eother the IE300 or IE900.

Except for the Spintfit CP240 that is. Perfect fit, perfect seal, everytime.

I also use the little filter from inside the Senn foamies in the Spinfits. Fit great and saves getting any ear-goo in the nozzle!

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #2,518 of 4,913
Fit issues are the main reason I haven’t pulled the trigger on purchasing the IE900s. I had the same problem with the AKG N5005s. In spite of trying 7 or 8 tip types I still find the bass recessed.

Oct 17, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #2,519 of 4,913
For people who just cant get a seal i can recommend the Beyerdynamic Xelento Eartips. I had so many people who couldnt get a good seal with any eartips but when i give them these they all loved them. If they are comfortable especially with the casing is more personal but im super picky with that. Go with XL, 2XL or 3XL tho. XL is more like an M.

Oct 17, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #2,520 of 4,913
For people who just cant get a seal i can recommend the Beyerdynamic Xelento Eartips. I had so many people who couldnt get a good seal with any eartips but when i give them these they all loved them. If they are comfortable especially with the casing is more personal but im super picky with that. Go with XL, 2XL or 3XL tho. XL is more like an M.
Where can you buy these?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back