Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Feb 7, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #4,082 of 7,699
Received some black medium JVCs today and am looking forward to trying them out. Even more interested in comparing them with the Comply Tx-500s I've also ordered which cost ten times as much and won't last nearly as long.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Feb 7, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #4,084 of 7,699
Finally received my IE80.

I have to say, they definitely look more expensive than the IE8. I absolutely love the brushed metal finish, and the cable seems to be even better with a nicer finish.

Speaking of sound, they are receiving brain burn-in right now, so I'm not gonna comment yet as I've only listened for an hour.

I can advise that I can't get a good seal on any of the TIPS! I'm gonna go home and try some of the Monster Gel tips I have lying around. I ordered the JVC tips you guys suggested.

Absolutely no mods are being applied yet. Need to listen to it for at least a week..

Feb 8, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #4,085 of 7,699
I've been using IE8 almost 4 years... And after using IE80 for a month i don't see any audible difference in quality.

But i do like the new design :)

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #4,087 of 7,699
Quote:
I've been using IE8 almost 4 years... And after using IE80 for a month i don't see any audible difference in quality.

But i do like the new design :)

i cannot agree upon this statement my dear friend... cuz i had the ie8's for 2 years and nw i have my IE80s. so i can say IE80's have a clear mid range response + a less amount of bass compared to the old ie8.  I'm really surprised that u cant see any kind of a   audible difference.

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #4,088 of 7,699
It's a very small difference I would say. Bass is heard in different areas, and the sounds are not as harsh. I loved the way the IE8 sounded after about 200-300 hours use. It wasn't as sharp to the ears. The IE80 off the bat sounds like an IE8 burnt-in about 100 hours. There are improvements nonetheless.

Feb 9, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #4,090 of 7,699
Quote:
Do Sony tips work well with the IE80? I'm desperate for some new tips and the bundled IE80 ones don't seal right. There is a local Sony store hence the request. Cheers

I don't feel they do. They ruin the sound and it's a bitch to get them on. Not easy at all. I recommend the JVC tips I posted the link to earlier. If you look slightly back I think someone else posted the link to them. I recommend the black ones as those are the exact ones I use to buy from amazon (which are a lot more expensive and you got less). I'm not so sure about the other colors as some of them look to be a different material from the pics....

Feb 9, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #4,092 of 7,699
Quote:
How do they ruin the sound? The only ones that fit OK are the dual flange silicones, but they recess the high end making them even warmer. 

I'll order the JVC ones as mentioned, but right now, its hard for me to truly enjoy the IE80 :frowning2:

The Sony hybrid tips compress the sound stage (they kill it) and make the sound cluttered. Some enjoy congested sound but personally I do not. Overall the sound is just off. From bass, treble to mids are all altered in an undesirable way IMO with these tips. This is due to the bore in the Hybrid tips being smaller than the actual nozzle of the IE80 so it changes the sound as it is compressing the sound into a smaller passage. I understand you are having fit issues on the IE80. Join the club. 99% of us all were there. I don't know where Sennheiser learned to make tips. Seems like they were designed for aliens lol because even I could not get a good seal until I bought aftermarket tips.... :p

Feb 9, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #4,095 of 7,699
Quote:
Lee, this is the link to the JVC? http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-x-JVC-Replacement-Ear-Phone-Ear-Bud-Gel-Tips-Various-Colours-Size-Large-/350573446310

Yep you got it. I recommend going for black as I used those. I haven't tried the other tip colors but from the looks of those blue ones they look to be of a different material. I could be wrong but just putting it out there. Different material can also mean different fit and sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back