Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Jan 31, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #4,067 of 7,699
Quote:
Thanks Lee!! I am torn between medium and large - I will do a little research with the large Sony's before I order - wow there are some wild colors - at first I didn't think they had black at I was going to have to pick one of those neon colors - ugh. I'll get those and the Auvio from Radio Shack - you can't go wrong with lots of tips...

Plus they are quite cheap so :).

Jan 31, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #4,068 of 7,699
Quote:
Plus they are quite cheap so :).

Even cheap to ship to the USA - I'm glad I pulled out my Sony Hybrids - I was using the largest size - the white (they had a little greenish tint since they were stretched over the IE8's post - but they aren't the green ones) So I will order a set of the large ones.

Jan 31, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #4,069 of 7,699
Quote:
Even cheap to ship to the USA - I'm glad I pulled out my Sony Hybrids - I was using the largest size - the white (they had a little greenish tint since they were stretched over the IE8's post - but they aren't the green ones) So I will order a set of the large ones.

If those give you a seal then I'm 95% sure the JVCs will work as well :). The material actually improves with usage. It will grab more once your oils from your ear coats it and makes it look shiny :). I'd say the actual width of the ear piece may be slightly wider (not by much) than the hybrids which for me allows for a great seal since my ear canals are quite wide lol.

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #4,070 of 7,699
Quote:
If those give you a seal then I'm 95% sure the JVCs will work as well :). The material actually improves with usage. It will grab more once your oils from your ear coats it and makes it look shiny :). I'd say the actual width of the ear piece may be slightly wider (not by much) than the hybrids which for me allows for a great seal since my ear canals are quite wide lol.

Yep i second that.. Bought some JVCs based on lee730's recommendation and they are perfect for me with the IE80s...

Feb 1, 2013 at 4:38 AM Post #4,071 of 7,699
Yeah, I can't put my finger on it but yeah, I kind of like the tape mod. Not sure that I hear such a big difference either, but there's something about it that makes everything slightly more enjoyable as a whole.

Feb 1, 2013 at 5:10 AM Post #4,072 of 7,699
Quote:
Yeah, I can't put my finger on it but yeah, I kind of like the tape mod. Not sure that I hear such a big difference either, but there's something about it that makes everything slightly more enjoyable as a whole.

The difference was quite subtle to begin with, yeah. But I'd been listening to it taped for a few hours (out and about as well as stationary), then I removed the tape and it was immediately evident what had been tweaked (mids and treble became more present, bass shied back just a tiny bit, but it doesn't lack punch).

I agree that it's enjoyable - the IE80's capacity to reproduce little details shines through the bass with the tape on the vents, so for lossless music I definitely like the tape mod.

I am glad you like it. The IE80 is really a very versatile IEM!

Feb 1, 2013 at 7:42 AM Post #4,075 of 7,699

Quote:
Is it important to cover just the hole? Or the whole back of the iem?

Quote:
Before you apply the tape mod, does it matter if you have the bass knob turned up all the way on or off? Also does it matter what kind of tape you use? Scotch? Duct? Electrical?

I cover the vent itself with a small, squarish piece of Scotch tape, barely visible unless held up to light. The vent is on minimum, as I was listening to it on minimum before I taped it up. Duct or Electrical tape would look too industrial for my liking, so I like the clear tape.

Covering just the hole has made plenty of difference, about the same as when I initially covered the whole back of the IEM. Whatever works, works - trust your ears on this one. I think the mod is pretty cool!

Feb 7, 2013 at 4:55 AM Post #4,078 of 7,699
I'm still experimenting with the tape mod at the moment using a variety of music. The bass seems less muddy but with less impact. However it goes very deep and I can hear the actual notes from a 32 foot organ pipe as well as the deep bass that Deadmau5's dubstep produces. The one downside at the moment is that I am using Comply TsX 500s (small) and I feel that these colour and muffle the sound. I'll switch back to my Mobeast tips and see what happens. I still feel that the correct tips are the secret to these iems and I want to try the Auveos from Radio Shack when they next become available in medium. My ears always feel hot when I remove the Complys and this doesn't happen with the Mobeast tips. The Complys tend to itch after a while and the Mobeast don't! Also, I should be able to put them in and move my head without affecting the sound.

Feb 7, 2013 at 5:41 AM Post #4,079 of 7,699
Quote:
I'm still experimenting with the tape mod at the moment using a variety of music. The bass seems less muddy but with less impact. However it goes very deep and I can hear the actual notes from a 32 foot organ pipe as well as the deep bass that Deadmau5's dubstep produces. The one downside at the moment is that I am using Comply TsX 500s (small) and I feel that these colour and muffle the sound. I'll switch back to my Mobeast tips and see what happens. I still feel that the correct tips are the secret to these iems and I want to try the Auveos from Radio Shack when they next become available in medium. My ears always feel hot when I remove the Complys and this doesn't happen with the Mobeast tips. The Complys tend to itch after a while and the Mobeast don't! Also, I should be able to put them in and move my head without affecting the sound.

I posted earlier on in this thread where you can get JVC tips which worked beset on these IEMs IMO. The have them in S,M and L. :)

Feb 7, 2013 at 5:41 AM Post #4,080 of 7,699
Quote:

I agree with your impressions; to me, the bass after the tape mod is no better or worse, I hear it extending just as low, but it is a little more subdued. I also agree that the IE80s in particular can really be enhanced by the tips.

I used foam tips too (from Hippo, the M+), and in the end, I found them to muffle the sound. These JVC tips which lee730 recommends are very good in that they fit the IE80 nozzle perfectly, and don't obscure the vent at all, and they also provide a better fit for me. I bought the M and the L, but only the M has arrived. It fits and seals far better than the stock silicone M tips (the stock L don't fit me at all). The Auveos look good too, but these JVC tips are a winner for me. Perhaps give them a try.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Compatible-With-JVC-Replacement-Gel-Tips-Various-Colours-x-6-Pieces-/350698501877?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var&hash=item51a74276f5&_uhb=1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back