Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Jan 30, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #4,037 of 7,699
I could never find a decent fit for my IE8's with the supplied tips - I tried comply's - but didn't like the attenuation of the highs - hell, the IE8 is bass heavy already - why kill highs and mids? I ended up with the Sony Hybrids - it is a chore getting them on the post - but the seal and the sound is perfect! I think I ended up using the light green ones. (the tip is black, but the rubber of the inside cylinder is colored.

Try these before giving up on your IE80's!

Jan 30, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #4,038 of 7,699
I could never find a decent fit for my IE8's with the supplied tips - I tried comply's - but didn't like the attenuation of the highs - hell, the IE8 is bass heavy already - why kill highs and mids? I ended up with the Sony Hybrids - it is a chore getting them on the post - but the seal and the sound is perfect! I think I ended up using the light green ones. (the tip is black, but the rubber of the inside cylinder is colored.

Same here, the Hybrids always seem to cut it for me. I use the large ones, but they're so much better than the supplied tips. I just need to work on getting the IE80s to sit right. Even if the seal's right, I find the angle they're at makes the cable awkward to get around my ear.

Jan 30, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #4,039 of 7,699
Quote:
Same here, the Hybrids always seem to cut it for me. I use the large ones, but they're so much better than the supplied tips. I just need to work on getting the IE80s to sit right. Even if the seal's right, I find the angle they're at makes the cable awkward to get around my ear.

I go over the ear and tug at the top of the lobe when inserting - I can actually get a little depth that way - it isolates as good as it can that way (there being an open port on the IE8) - when the music is low or off, I can hear around me - but when the music is on - you have to enter my POV to get my attention.

Jan 30, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #4,040 of 7,699
Quote:

Are these Sony Hybrids you are talking about?

Jan 30, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #4,041 of 7,699
Jan 30, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #4,042 of 7,699
Hey guys,

Have you tried these?

AUVIO Silicone Replace Tips    

From Radio Shack, Cost $5, come in S, M, L

Way better than SONY's Hybrids.

Why?
1.) They fit the Senn IE8 and IE80 nozzles PERFECTLY, no stretching.
2.) They offset the tip 1/8" deeper into your ear for a better fit, no fallout, no loosening.
3.) Built with 2 different densities of Silicone ('Hybrid' like the SONY's): Denser around the nozzle, Softer for the ear bulb.
4.) These babies are as comfortable as silk sheets.
5.) They last for literally years from my experience.

Oh, and the best reason: They DO NOT reduce the Senn nozzle diameter, the hole is the same size all the way though, no reduction of highs whatsoever. 

Jan 30, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #4,047 of 7,699
Quote:
Hey guys,

Have you tried these?

Why?
2.) They offset the tip 1/8" deeper into your ear for a better fit, no fallout, no loosening.
3.) Built with 2 different densities of Silicone ('Hybrid' like the SONY's): Denser around the nozzle, Softer for the ear bulb.

Oh, and the best reason: They DO NOT reduce the Senn nozzle diameter, the hole is the same size all the way though, no reduction of highs whatsoever. 

How about the change to sound comparing with the stock tips?

Jan 30, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #4,048 of 7,699
Quote:
Hey guys,

Why?

I'm going to get my brother to get these for me and try it out.  Not sure to get medium or large though.

These are the comply tips on mine.

Jan 30, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #4,049 of 7,699
Quote:
Hey guys,

Have you tried these?

Why?

You know, I always wondered if the REALLY small diameter of the Sony Hybrids was messing with the highs - I don't think they do - I mean my IE8's are bright as hell - I might give these a try, though - it is just the seal with the Sony's are perfect - I haven't been able to replicate it with anything else.

Jan 30, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #4,050 of 7,699
Quote:
How about the change to sound comparing with the stock tips?

Quote:
You know, I always wondered if the REALLY small diameter of the Sony Hybrids was messing with the highs - I don't think they do - I mean my IE8's are bright as hell - I might give these a try, though - it is just the seal with the Sony's are perfect - I haven't been able to replicate it with anything else.

@DMinor,

I think they sound way better than the stock tips, all the stock tips, because they seal deeper and better. The stock tips are not made as well - the dual density construction makes all the difference.

@Ivabign,

The restriction at the outlet with the SONY hybrids DOES funk-up the sound compared to no restriction with the AUVIO's. Straight through is better just like your cars exhaust pipe(s). See the comment above about the seal. If you like the 'SONY seal' (I do) you will love the AUVIO's its even better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back