Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Feb 9, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #4,111 of 7,699
I was using the large Hybrid tips, but then I found some JVCs from some old Air Cushions I had lying around, and the difference is pretty surprising.

Not that the Hybrids were bad, but I feel like I'm finally experiencing the "monsterous" soundstage for the first time. Honestly, listened to the intro of Red Barchetta and it was like night and day.

Also, a lot less picky on the insertion angle. With the Hybrids, if the angle was off by a bit, I found I lost the top end.

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #4,114 of 7,699
Quote:
I just tried the Sony hybrid tips. No good. They let me try one but felt like I was gonna snap the bores.

Argh! Waiting 2 weeks for the JVC tips to come in will be interesting...

Yep they don't inspire much confidence lol. You can stretch them to fit but the sound will still be off. But if you are desperate it may be worth a shot :p. I use a pencil/pen to stretch the core a bit so I could fit them on easier.

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #4,115 of 7,699
I might end up buying some that's for sure. Comfort would be amazing, but yeah I'm interested to know how sound would be affected as you mentioned. It should at least buy me time until the JVC's come in.

Bottom line, is that these are a keeper for sure. Sound was amazing when I used those tips that didn't seal. Bass was phenomenal. 

I was messing with the soundstage using this. Download "The virtual haircut". Its cool.

http://onemansblog.com/2007/05/13/get-your-virtual-haircut-and-other-auditory-illusions/   

Feb 10, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #4,116 of 7,699
How does it compared to the senn momentum, ie60 and what about the durability? And where did it make in? Do you fell comfortable and how is the isolation

Feb 10, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #4,117 of 7,699
Quote:
How does it compared to the senn momentum, ie60 and what about the durability? And where did it make in? Do you fell comfortable and how is the isolation

Hey minh, about 14 pages ago I posted my very brief impressions comparing the Momentum and the IE80. I've never heard the IE60, but I would rate the Momentum and the IE80 about equal for SQ, depending on your use (see below). Durability-wise, the IE80 are a tank. The cable is very tough, with great strain reliefs (although a bit stiff when it's cold out), and the housing is impervious to most forms of shock, even when tossed in my bag or jacket pocket. I suspect it's the rigid plastic and the unusual shape of the IEM. I carry mine around in a hard case, but overall the IE80 is super durable to me.

With the right tips (Hippo foams and the JVC Medium tips), comfort has been great for me. I can wear them for hours at a time, on planes and trains too, so I don't reckon isolation is an issue either, but of course, some of my other IEMs such as the Klipsch X10s isolate better as they insert deeply. The caveat here; you'll need the right tips for the IE80. The stock tips are oddly shaped (causing discomfort after an hour or so for me) and don't isolate too well. The JVC is an unusual tip as it's shallow-insertion but provides decent isolation, although if I need to shut out I would switch to foam.

Post from way back:

Quote:
Sorry to hear that you were disappointed in the IE80. I personally never had any problems with the bass being not low enough. I also listen to some DnB, mainly Pendulum and i have
to say to my ears they sound absolutely fine.  By the way how the Momentum compares to IE80 in terms of SQ.

Hey Filleri, I own and enjoy both. I'd say in terms of SQ, the Momentum has a much more neutral sound signature than the IE80. It's not flat by any means, and it does pack some bass emphasis like most portable 'phones. Both of them have a slightly dull, non-fatiguing treble, which I happen to enjoy, so no comment there. The mids on the Momentum are wonderful, superior to the IE80s if you ask me. As you probably already know, the IE80 packs some seriously awesome bass, both quantity and (to my ears) quality - however, the Momentum is no slouch. They are not at all lacking in bass, and it's more precise and punchy than heavy. I think both headphones sound great, but I'd pick the IE80 for EDM, pop and orchestral, and the Momentum for jazz and acoustic listening on the go.

Feb 10, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #4,119 of 7,699
Feb 10, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #4,122 of 7,699
for cables, what are the differences between 4 wires and 8 wires? I've been browsing Taobao, and i found some relatively cheap silver plated cables here.
Was wondering if anyone could give me any tips on getting starter cables...

The reference cables can be found here
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.10.30.fCZuhy&id=12929101694&_u=aavmktpe265

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #4,123 of 7,699
Quote:
I can recommend sunricky's cables. I had the black version for my TF10 (Dark Lord)

Quote:
What do ya'll think of this cable upgrade?

Its cheap enough for me to give it a go. Silver plated, so not pure, but I'm going for both looks and function at that price.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261154242739?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

This guy is in HK, maybe i can pester him to do a local pickup and skip the shipping fees and give this one a try.
Thanks for the suggestion

Feb 10, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #4,124 of 7,699
I've put in an order for some JVC tips, hopefully they'll sound better than the sony hybrids I'm using now and fit just as well. As it is the fit with any stock tip is painfull and as a result unwearable, but the sound with the hybrids is excessively dark and bassy, even if the fit is really comfortable.

Feb 10, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #4,125 of 7,699
Quote:
I've put in an order for some JVC tips, hopefully they'll sound better than the sony hybrids I'm using now and fit just as well. As it is the fit with any stock tip is painfull and as a result unwearable, but the sound with the hybrids is excessively dark and bassy, even if the fit is really comfortable.

What size tips do you use? I use large. Still I think you may find them too bassy without applying the tape mod even after finding the perfect tip. The mid bass is really the cause for the problems on this IEM. I was just shocked at how much it actually changed the sound for the better :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back