Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Oct 25, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #3,646 of 7,699
Quote:
I don't think I'm gonna look for an IE80 replacement soon.

It must be a hell of an IEM to outperform IE80's sound and flexibility. An IE80 upgrade it gonna cost you much more cash then ~300$ . 

If you can buy IE80's for 250$ (even used), GRAB THEM, as long as these sound good and all accessories are there.

If you find them too bassy , ISO_Mod them, if you want even more transparency, recable them.

So many options in a single package...Hard to beat. But an expensive one indeed. 400$ in my opinion is too much for an universal, as long as it's not titanium base, pure-silver cable, unique design, extreme comfort & isolation.  

lol so they are growing on your even more I see Alex :p.

Waiting for my silver cable to come in the mail. I paid zeroshoe to repair my cable. He upgraded my connectors to the ones Toxic cable offers and also changed out my plug. Can't risk loosing my IEMs due to lose connectors. It happened 3 times :p.

Oct 26, 2012 at 8:01 AM Post #3,647 of 7,699
I've had these for two days, extremely disappointed with the supplied tips. My ears tend to be somewhere around medium and I've never really have a problem with fitting before, but here even the large double flange - which was the only tip that worked even a little - was way too small.
Then I realized the issue wasnt really the width of the tips but the length - the bulky IEM itself just blocks short tips from getting far enough in for a seal.

So I found something interesting in this thread about putting a large single flange on a large double flange for better length - and it works really well actually! Not perfect, but I can finally get a kindof-seal that doesn't disappear the second my finger stops pressing. I can't believe ears built like mine are so uncommon that they'd ship 10 pairs och tips in all sizes and not a single long one... Seems most people have trouble with the fit too, tho maybe not to my extent...

Either way, my question. Anyone know a good tip that is similar to this little mod?  Preferably slightly smaller actually, but the length is perfect! If not what else would be similar length wise... triple flange? or just an extra long single or double flange of some sort? Or maybe just bust out some glue and rock the mod. I've got some JVC tips coming as well because someone recommended those before I learned about the tip-stacking.

Oh also I bought the Ie80's brand new from an authorised reseller and the left one is like semi-DOA, it every few hours it switches between no sound, ~30% volume and 100%. Would've thought the QC would be better at this level!

Either way despite all the problems I can definitely already tell these are incredible headphones, especially for a basshead like me. Can't wait til everything's sorted! :)

Oct 26, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #3,648 of 7,699
If the double flange doesn't do it for you then the JVC won't do anything, they're actually shorter.  I've had similar problems but the Sony Hybrid worked ok, though I'm now back on stock single large flange and I shoved the small foams beneath it just for increased isolation.  I am also surprised at the number of medium tips that Sennheiser threw in but did not decide to include many larger ones.

Oct 26, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #3,650 of 7,699
lee730, yes, I came down to fall in love with them, using HiFiMan middle black tips, ISO Mod (tape mod) and good Teclast T51 DAP. It's hard to find a really good all-rounder with minimum flaws, and IE80's are one of them, but I must admit, Sennheiser should bring much better package for a 400$ product. Stock tips are almost useless. 

Oct 26, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #3,651 of 7,699
Can't argue with you on the tips. Even I had a hard time getting a good seal with the large single flange and large double flange tips. I wonder if they even created those tips for humans?
tongue.gif

Oct 27, 2012 at 6:54 AM Post #3,652 of 7,699
So updated impression after 1 month with the IE80 (roughly 100+ hours burn in now).  Disclaimer: my source is a rooted Samsung Galaxy Nexus, I listen to mostly mp3s and would live in perfect harmony with 320kbps VBR, and I am fully aware of how unworthy I am by headfi standards.

Initial fit issues aside, I'm about 95% satisfied with the stock large flange now and my ears no longer hurt from trying to push the housing to form a seal like at the start.  I would like to give stuff like Complys a try but I'm not really keen on shelling out even more money on a regular basis.  The cable has also become much more flexible compared to their out of the box stiffness such that I have no trouble wearing it over the ear without the ear guides (the ear guides made the fit even more terrible for me at the start so I don't use them).  Even though I had some reservations about the size of the housing  and having to wear it over the ear, I've now become accustomed to doing so and the IE80 feels pretty close to the X10 in comfort.

When I first tried these the bass sounded really boomy and hollow to me with the bass dial turned up, in fact half way through I almost decided I wanted to dial it down to a minimum which is surprising given I come from Monster Turbines and Klipsch X10. Turns out it was because I had some 3D effect settings on from when I had my X10 - which had a huge mid bass hump and didn't really sound any different with the 3D effect turned on.  Before my purchase I had simply assumed that the bass dial meant MOAR BASS, or mid bass as I knew it, but what it actually seems to do is shift the bass curve left towards more sub bass - so much so after a week with the dials on max it became near headache inducing.  I'm now running with the dial solidly in the center and I think that's where it'll stay, with no EQing.

Speaking of EQing, from memory it seems like the IE80 is far more responsive to EQing than the Klipsch X10.  It's also got a much more forward mid and better highs - if I dial down the upper registers on the EQ it reminds me of what the X10 sounded like (not a surprise given the X10 FR has huge rolloff at the high end).  Listening to some songs that I've probably heard 1000 times (I don't expand my library very often) I began noticing things like cymbals in the background while it's going through some bass heavy sections;  basically things I don't really think i've noticed before with the X10.  Some of the poorly encoded MP3s in my collection also started revealing themselves with the IE80, where as the X10 was much more forgiving.  The IE80 is also more sensitive (16ohms vs 50 for the X10 I believe?), so it's more prone to hissing and noise from bad encodes.

In terms of sound stage etc I now think that the IE80 does a far better job than the X10, though my memory could be playing tricks on me.  Either way I am not a purist and would happily apply what software crossfeed I could get my hands on to move the sound out of my head even if I was using regular headphones.  If you want the whole 'sounds like speakers' experience I don't think there's any possible way to do that without crossfeed no matter what you've got.  

I found no use for the included cable clips so far because there is little to no noticeable microphonics to me.  I am also not using the carrying case because it's a chore to wrap it around properly, plus I found that the large tips actually get squished if you don't take them off before storing the earpiece.  With the cable now spending a bit of time in my pocket it is starting to twist and tangle a little bit, though nothing like some of the cheaper headphones I've owned in the past.

One obvious weakness of the IE80 is the poor isolation.  Normally with the music up it's not really an issue (people have to wave their hand or tap my shoulder at work), but when playing quiet passages that guy sitting next to you yapping on his cellphone becomes part of the concert.  Granted this is a pretty well noted problem and it wouldn't sound like the IE80 if it wasn't for the semi open design, but given the amount of time I spend on transit it's really too bad I can't have the best of both worlds.  On the plus side it's a bit safer to walk around with, though that's largely negated by the amount of dog poo on the crosswalk and my habit of just looking at the smart phone screen while walking.  At times I also wish that the IE80 comes with remotes so I can at least skip tracks, though the option to purchase IE8i cable is always there (for about 50 bucks from Sennheiser UK's website).

Overall for me I believe that this was the right choice at my budget of $300.  At full MSRP however I would've taken a more serious look at the competition and could have easily gone with a different set given my noisy listening environment.  (sorry I should sound more excited, but it's 4 AM and I should be in bed)

etysmile.gif

Oct 27, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #3,653 of 7,699
I have upgraded after using IE7 for 3-4 years, to IE80, a few days ago. 
Wow. I am happy, it worth the money. I sold my IE7 for 40 quids, bought my IE80 for £190. Not a bad deal, to have IE80 for £150/240$.
Even my first impressions were pretty good, knowing, Sennheisers need more burning in time. Bass was a bit too much, I expected more details at first try.
But after 30-40 hours of burn in time, it blows IE7 away... Much more detailed in every spectrum. Highs are sparkling, mids are releveant, and nice, balanced bass. Bass does not  overshadow the mids and highs, like IE7 had a tendency to do that.
Exceptionally clear, balanced compared to IE7.
I use them on bass level 1 from 4. It is much more than enough. I am very happy with my upgrade. It worth the money. Everytime I got home in last few days, I started to use them. Really enjoyable. Honestly I didnt expect such a great upgrade compare to IE7.
I have already ordered my Comply foam tips, to have better experience.

I wonder, if anyone has experience with silver upgrade cables. Does it worth the money? 

Oct 27, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #3,654 of 7,699
I too have decided on these. Going to get them soon or wait till black friday for a price reduction. I want to know about the cable upgrade as well. Coming from an audio technics ck10. I need headphones that tailor more to Hip Hop, House & Rock music. Finally understand the terms behind low, mid and treble. So i need good lows and a mid that is not too recessed. Good instrument separation. These seem to do the trick after an exhaustive search.

Oct 27, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #3,657 of 7,699
Quote:
I have upgraded after using IE7 for 3-4 years, to IE80, a few days ago. 
Wow. I am happy, it worth the money. I sold my IE7 for 40 quids, bought my IE80 for £190. Not a bad deal, to have IE80 for £150/240$.
Even my first impressions were pretty good, knowing, Sennheisers need more burning in time. Bass was a bit too much, I expected more details at first try.
But after 30-40 hours of burn in time, it blows IE7 away... Much more detailed in every spectrum. Highs are sparkling, mids are releveant, and nice, balanced bass. Bass does not  overshadow the mids and highs, like IE7 had a tendency to do that.
Exceptionally clear, balanced compared to IE7.
I use them on bass level 1 from 4. It is much more than enough. I am very happy with my upgrade. It worth the money. Everytime I got home in last few days, I started to use them. Really enjoyable. Honestly I didnt expect such a great upgrade compare to IE7.
I have already ordered my Comply foam tips, to have better experience.

I wonder, if anyone has experience with silver upgrade cables. Does it worth the money? 

Getting a silver-plated cable was worth it for me and it didn't break the bank. I have been using an Athena 8 for several weeks, but I just got a 6N OFHC Silver Plated Cable off the Bay for a pittance! Cleaned up some bass rumble (rock music) and lifted the veils off the mids/trebles even more than the Athena 8 did.Sweet,balanced and articulate as a 192-320kbps mp3 can be...

I am using large V-Moda Bliss silicone tips since the large double flange almost fit. Easy seal and you don't need to rape your ear canal to do it. I'm also going to order large Klipsch ovals, since they sealed my old S4s very nicely and were super comfortable. Worth comparing the two for fit and sonic properties anyway...

Oh yeah, welcome to Head-fi! Sorry about your wallet...

Oct 31, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #3,660 of 7,699
my toxic cable for ie80 had just arrived. i had them burned in for around 60 hour now.

first impression:this cable suits me better than my whiplash twag for ie80. I find the twag abit bright and harsh when paired with the ie80 and studio v.
The toxic cable is just nice, it extended the treble while maintaining the ie80 smooth treble without making it too bright or harsh. there are other improvement as well compared to the stock cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back