Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Nov 4, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #3,679 of 7,699
Quote:
Today I was marching in a parade and used my IE80 as a noise filter, and removed the cables. Unfortunately, I lost the stock cables, and now I am searching for a replacement. Can you recommend me any good replacement cables for the Sennheiser IE80 for under $50?
While the tips work fine with me, I am searching for better. Which small comply silicon tips (without modding) are the best for the IE80? Thanks.
Note: Surprisingly, I haven't had issues with fit.

Hi here is a link I got from Sennheiser Germany. It is the German source for original Sennheiser spare parts. Prices are in Euro.
http://www.kopfhoerer-ersatzteile.de/product_info.php/info/p4130_Sennheiser-Anschlusskabel--kurz-0-6m-fuer-IE80.html
http://www.kopfhoerer-ersatzteile.de/product_info.php/info/p3834_Sennheiser-Anschlusskabel--kurz-0-6m-fuer-IE8.html
http://www.kopfhoerer-ersatzteile.de/product_info.php/info/p3835_Sennheiser-Anschlusskabel-mit-Kabel-Fernbedienung-fuer-IE8i.html

Nov 5, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #3,680 of 7,699
Hi there, just want to give a heads up to everyone here, mostly the future buyers!

For my first set of IE80s from amazon, there was  flexing of the driver cone on the right side earpiece, and sometimes the left. Easily inducible with stock medium tips. 

Got a replacement from amazon (kind of them) It is perfect, no driver flex issue when I put the earpieces into my ear. 

Also, even with driver flex (probably not a real defect since it's a dynamic earphone) there was no difference in sound quality, and everything was perfect. I was just worried it might spoil in the future due to the extra stress (AGAIN HIGHLY UNLIKELY) I'm just paranoid, and spent over 200pounds on a earphone, and so I was hoping for something perfect.

I'm not sure what this means, but I hope it helps someone!

Cheers guys, love these earphones, love this thread :)

Nov 5, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #3,682 of 7,699
Quote:
Would somebody be kind enough to explain this Tape Mod to me?

Ok you know the adjustable bass knobs (you use a small screw driver or the tool included to adjust these)? You get a small piece of tape and put it over both of the bass tuning knobs. That's it. I suggest you get acquainted with the sound as well. Listen to it for a few hours. Then try go back and see what you think. For me going back it ruins the IE80s. Once I go back it makes me want to sell them. Such a big difference. Mids are so upfront, treble is definitely more detailed and has more presence. Mid bass is very well controlled and emphasis is on sub bass. There is more bass impact. Seems with usage bass has also increased but in a good way. No mid bass bleed. Its all on sub bass emphasis. Sound stage is about the same size so I see no negatives here at all. The sound is very balanced to my ears. Even a bit mid-centric to my ears.

Nov 5, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #3,684 of 7,699
How is putting a piece of tape over that knob going to change anything?

That little area is just a hole, it actually adjusts how much air is allowed into the enclosure behind the driver when turning the knob, which in turn effects bass response. By blocking the hole all these marvellous things occur that were obviously completely over looked by several engineers involved around designing IE80.

But Lee sussed it out. :wink:

Nov 5, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #3,686 of 7,699
Quote:
Today I was marching in a parade and used my IE80 as a noise filter, and removed the cables. Unfortunately, I lost the stock cables, and now I am searching for a replacement. Can you recommend me any good replacement cables for the Sennheiser IE80 for under $50?
While the tips work fine with me, I am searching for better. Which small comply silicon tips (without modding) are the best for the IE80? Thanks.
Note: Surprisingly, I haven't had issues with fit.

Hi here is a link I got from Sennheiser Germany. It is the German source for original Sennheiser spare parts. Prices are in Euro.
http://www.kopfhoerer-ersatzteile.de/product_info.php/info/p4130_Sennheiser-Anschlusskabel--kurz-0-6m-fuer-IE80.html
http://www.kopfhoerer-ersatzteile.de/product_info.php/info/p3834_Sennheiser-Anschlusskabel--kurz-0-6m-fuer-IE8.html
http://www.kopfhoerer-ersatzteile.de/product_info.php/info/p3835_Sennheiser-Anschlusskabel-mit-Kabel-Fernbedienung-fuer-IE8i.html

I think the Comply TX 500 is the one that fits.

I've swapped out my IE80 cable for an IE8i cable as the iphone remote is a must for me. I don't subscribe to the opinion that cables will make a sonic difference, so it's all about functionality for me.

That being said, the IE8i cable has some drawbacks for me. The remote works like it should. The placement is fine. However, the cable itself is a tad thinner than the IE80 cable. I have trouble keeping the cable over and behind me ear without using the cable guides. (I don't have this issue with the IE80 cable). Also, there's a tiny bit more microphonics.

Does anyone know of a good third party cable for the IE80 that has an iphone remote built in?

Nov 6, 2012 at 7:07 AM Post #3,687 of 7,699
Quote:
Ok you know the adjustable bass knobs (you use a small screw driver or the tool included to adjust these)? You get a small piece of tape and put it over both of the bass tuning knobs. That's it. I suggest you get acquainted with the sound as well. Listen to it for a few hours. Then try go back and see what you think. For me going back it ruins the IE80s. Once I go back it makes me want to sell them. Such a big difference. Mids are so upfront, treble is definitely more detailed and has more presence. Mid bass is very well controlled and emphasis is on sub bass. There is more bass impact. Seems with usage bass has also increased but in a good way. No mid bass bleed. Its all on sub bass emphasis. Sound stage is about the same size so I see no negatives here at all. The sound is very balanced to my ears. Even a bit mid-centric to my ears.

I can't remove the tape mode now :)

I think this mode is also depending of the used source, at less with the T51, the tape mode give me the perfect amount off bass I was looking for. The fit can also play a role and the mode can be unnecessary for someone , but is just so easy to try it and remove it, not a big deal and every one can find happiness.

Nov 6, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #3,688 of 7,699
Quote:
Hi everyone,
I have a question. Has anyone here tried to compare IE 80 ( with stock and upgraded cable) with HD 650 ? i'd like to hear some comparisons on them. Thanks

It's no competition there.
The HD650 wins the IE80 flat out.

But that said, the IE80 is the top of the line IEM offering by sennheiser.
Both sounds sonically the same in terms of signature

Except that HD650 has tighter bass. And has more definition all around.

I'm running both my IE80 and HD650 on twags.

Nov 6, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #3,689 of 7,699
I have my IE80 for after 150 burning in hour now. 
I am really pleased with the sound quality, and the sound improvement compared to the beginning.

The bass knob is set to the lowest level. More than enough. I was just wondering, if Shure SE535 would have been a better choice for me, as bass is still too much sometimes for my taste. (Saying this as more than 50% I listen to music where bass is essential, emphatic...)

Also anyone has experience with B&W P5 headphone compared to the mentioned IEMs?

Not as I were not happy with my IE80, I am. They are incredible. I am just curious about these competitors, as I didnt have the chance to try them before purchasing...

Nov 6, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #3,690 of 7,699
Quote:
That little area is just a hole, it actually adjusts how much air is allowed into the enclosure behind the driver when turning the knob, which in turn effects bass response. By blocking the hole all these marvellous things occur that were obviously completely over looked by several engineers involved around designing IE80.
But Lee sussed it out.
wink.gif

Tried the mod today. This dampens the bass response. It is like closing the bass reflex holes of a speaker system. I needed to remove the mod, as for me the sound got kinda anemic overall. But that is just my feeling.... The whole thing is maybe also influenced from the fact that I run the IE80 directly unamped from my Ipod Classic and not amped from my Stepdance, because I need as small as possible rig on the go and @ work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back