Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Sep 26, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #3,332 of 7,699
The thing about the IE80s is they play nicely with most genres when compared to other IEMs. With the mod however I'm even finding them to excel in genres where they lacked somewhat. They were always pretty good in dub-step but had just a bit too much bass IMO. With the mod they fit it perfectly now and also excel very much at rock. They are excellent all-arounders IMO. This is a very important aspect in an IEM for me. I could have an IEM that is the best in the world at a few genres and one that is good at most genres in general and I'd go for the one that is the better all-arounder hands down. I am not into genre specific IEMs. For me its a waste of money. My music preferences vary quite a bit and I need an IEM that will be able to accommodate for them all.

Thanks Lee. :beerchug:

Sep 26, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #3,334 of 7,699
I'm considering getting these, because I have a discount for $300. However, I would like to know how they are compared to the Sony MDR-7750s, VSonic GR07s, and the Phonak Audeo PFE122.

Are there any better options under $300 that I should consider as well?

My original thread can be found here.

Thanks to all feedback I receive :)

Sep 26, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #3,336 of 7,699
I thought mine sounded good OOB also. I burned them in for a few nights. But I've only got maybe 60-70 hours on them. Some say that at about twice that they will sound their best. 

Sep 26, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #3,337 of 7,699
Quote:
I'm considering getting these, because I have a discount for $300. However, I would like to know how they are compared to the Sony MDR-7750s, VSonic GR07s, and the Phonak Audeo PFE122.

Are there any better options under $300 that I should consider as well?

My original thread can be found here.

Thanks to all feedback I receive :)

Give us more info on what you want in your sound signature Robots? The IE80s have a bigger sound stage. More full sound, more 3D. They are also less fatiguing, silky-smooth treble, lots of bass and a nice mid-range. The MDR-7550s are very neutral IMO. Still a fun sound. a rather large sound-stage. Mids are quite nice, not too dry, not to wet. The treble is just right. Not going overboard yet still being quite detailed. The bass is very well controlled and goes deep. If you want a more fun sound go with the IE80, if you want a more neutral sound go with the MDR-7550s. If you are a treble head and can stand treble spikes, go for the EX1000.

Sep 26, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #3,338 of 7,699
Can those of you who have used the tape mod put up pictures, I would like to see how much of it you guys have covered and how it looks. 

Sep 26, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #3,340 of 7,699
Ur fingering is depressingly horrible..! hahah.. TRY the MOD and TALK!!! 

Sep 26, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #3,341 of 7,699
Quote:
dont cover the bass knob , it ruins the sound. just try to cover bass ports by putting finger when you have them in your ears you ll see that make sound totally crap. Main difference in tape mode is a lot smaller transparency in highs which makes soundstage smaller also.

Ur fingering is depressingly horrible..! hahah.. TRY the MOD and TALK!!! 

Sep 27, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #3,342 of 7,699
Quote:
Can those of you who have used the tape mod put up pictures, I would like to see how much of it you guys have covered and how it looks. 

I already posted a picture of the mod a few pages back. You can just tape up the bass tuning knobs and it will work. I chose to cover the entire plate to make it look better (clear tape).

Sep 27, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #3,344 of 7,699
More fun sound. Smoother treble (more refined IMO). The sound stage is both wide and has lots of depth while the EX1000 focuses on width in its sound-stage and sounds narrow. If you want a more fun sound I'd say go for IE80. If you can handle treble spikes the EX1000 would be the best technical performer. If you want similar technical ability without the spiked treble go for the MDR-7550s.

Sep 27, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #3,345 of 7,699
Quote:
How do the Sennheiser IE80s compare to these headphones?

-Sony MDR-EX1000
-Westone 4
-Shure SE535
-VSonic GR07
-Phonak Audeo PFE232
-EarSonics SM3

Before I make a decision on which to buy? :) Thanks

Recently i got hold of denon c400 for an audition.
I was "wow" even thought i had my ie8s with the twags v2.

They sounded really good and u may want to include them into your audition list.
It may use BA drivers but its bass is strong as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back