Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Sep 6, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #3,001 of 7,699
I agree it changed the sound too much for my liking. I did get a couple enjoyable listening sessions with them on my IE8s however. But with enough time and comparing it to my regular tips it was a downgrade to be honest. Really cuts down the sound stage, does focus the treble somewhat but still cuts into the overall sound. Bass seems to get more focus as well. Not a better sound IMO. Kinda finding these Hyrbid tips to be doing the same thing on my MDR-7550s. Making the sound stage too narrow for my liking. I'm using V-moda bass tips on my Sonys and prefer it for fit, comfort and sound.

Sep 6, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #3,002 of 7,699
This cable looks interesting to me:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OCC-upgrade-cable-for-Sennheiser-IE8-IE80-GOOD-IN-BASS-/261088430617?pt=UK_Home_Garden_CD_DVDStorage_SM&hash=item3cca154a19

Going through all the possible options. I typically don't buy cables and expect some massive performance improvement. I usually get an aftermarket cable to get a cable that is more usable for me. Sometimes I'm looking for a custom length, but often I'm looking for a cable to is softer and more flexible. I don't like light and "springy" cables. I also don't like heavy and rigid. I have Norse and Q Audio cables for my full sized hp's, but unfortunately they do not make IEM cables that I know of. 

Sep 7, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #3,005 of 7,699
Yay! My Monster Miles Davis Tributes sadly broke few weeks ago and since I bought them from "unauthorized" dealer - Pixmania, I didn't get Trumpets as a return, but they gave me back full amount (I bought them for 280 €).

I had a huge dilema two months ago, when I had to chose between IE80s and MDTs. I decided for MDTs because of their gorgeous look and beautiful packaging. Firstly when I heard them, I was a bit disappointed. Though, after proper burn-in, they were amazing, I am no audiophile so I am not familiar with expressions you guys use, but their bass, mids and treble was brilliant, listening to Pink Floyd was pure joy. All though, after some time - (note - I took awesome care about them, I never just put them into pocket without properly convolving them and inserting them into pouch) - strain reliefs broke. I fixed it with super glue, they were functional for almost one month and then right ear piece went off :frowning2:

Since MDTs are not for sale anymore, I decided for IE80s, as many people said that they are slightly better. Hands down, I have to agree. Its not a huge difference, but it is. I'd say they are on pair on treble and bass quantity, even tho I found that bass tuning useless and I can't really tell difference between 1 and 5, but bass quality is something different. For example - Space RockerZ Feat. Tania Zygar - Puzzle Piece (Daniel Heatcliff's Farewell Remix) 56 sec onwards sounded flat with MDTs but its completely something different with IE80s.

Its been just few hours since I got them so they are not properly burned in yet, but so far I am 110% satisfied.

Sep 7, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #3,006 of 7,699
Quote:
And sound becomes compact with boomy bass, less mids and highs but with a better seal.
IE8/80 needs tips with a wide nozzle.
Try from HiFiman, Altec, V-Moda etc

I notice tighter soundstage when i first used the hybrids as well.
I have switched between lots of silicon tips along the journey.
I have tried comply foam tips as well but my ear canal are too small for them to fit in even when compressed.

The only time when i got back to the hybrids was when i switched my cables to a pair of Twag V2s, along with it
came lots of other silicon tip i hope to get excellent sound with.

For some reason that i couldn't understand nor explain, the hybrids did not compressed the sound, unlike what i heard initially.
I know it's weird... couldn't understand as well how cable could change that, i'm not implying u shud get any cables here.

On a side note, i've bought the hybrids on two seperate occasion, with 1.5yrs ago and recently.

I actually notice slight changes, the opening of the silicon tips are slight more forward, u could see that the driver are pushed in more,
secondly, i notice that the openings are slightly bigger as well, but still smaller than sennheiser's default eartips.

On my cowon, i have stereo enhance enable, it helps to widen the soundstage further but sacrifices a bit of clarity for it, imo the sacrifice was pretty small so left the stereo enhance on all the while.

Sep 7, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #3,007 of 7,699
Quote:
Yay! My Monster Miles Davis Tributes sadly broke few weeks ago and since I bought them from "unauthorized" dealer - Pixmania, I didn't get Trumpets as a return, but they gave me back full amount (I bought them for 280 €).

I had a huge dilema two months ago, when I had to chose between IE80s and MDTs. I decided for MDTs because of their gorgeous look and beautiful packaging. Firstly when I heard them, I was a bit disappointed. Though, after proper burn-in, they were amazing, I am no audiophile so I am not familiar with expressions you guys use, but their bass, mids and treble was brilliant, listening to Pink Floyd was pure joy. All though, after some time - (note - I took awesome care about them, I never just put them into pocket without properly convolving them and inserting them into pouch) - strain reliefs broke. I fixed it with super glue, they were functional for almost one month and then right ear piece went off :frowning2:

Since MDTs are not for sale anymore, I decided for IE80s, as many people said that they are slightly better. Hands down, I have to agree. Its not a huge difference, but it is. I'd say they are on pair on treble and bass quantity, even tho I found that bass tuning useless and I can't really tell difference between 1 and 5, but bass quality is something different. For example - Space RockerZ Feat. Tania Zygar - Puzzle Piece (Daniel Heatcliff's Farewell Remix) 56 sec onwards sounded flat with MDTs but its completely something different with IE80s.

Its been just few hours since I got them so they are not properly burned in yet, but so far I am 110% satisfied.

The sound staging should be noticeably bigger on the IE80. I'd say treble is more refined and smoother as well. You also have the option to upgrade the cable to silver cable and further improve the sound.

Sep 7, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #3,008 of 7,699
No ie80 for me today. 
frown.gif
 No one home for the delivery...signature required. Maybe tomorrow. 

Sep 8, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #3,009 of 7,699
Finally got mine this morning!! Good build quality and nicely packaged. I will have to work on the right tips for me. When I push down on them while they are in my ears, the sound improves significantly. Got to get a better seal!! Sounds great when they are sealed. 

Sep 8, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #3,011 of 7,699
Yeah, I've changed tips to the smaller foam and sound and comfort both improved. With the first tips, the right ear would not seal at all...now the left ear is the problem child. It seals for a few minutes and then gradually unseals. The right ear is perfect with the foam. Jeez!!

I have to say that right out of the box, the sound is impressive. I have not tweaked the bass control and I'm finding it about perfect at the default setting. I assume that the default setting is at the lowest bass setting. If these improve at all with burn in, I'll be humbled by the SQ. If they don't change at all, I'll be very happy with them still. 

The cable is not very impressive though. I guess I was expecting a little more given the price. I'm definitely looking into an after market cable this weekend. 

I'm listening with a 7 gen ipod and e17 with l9 cable. Does the ie80 benefit from the e17 or would it sound as good straight from the ipod.

Thanks guys and especially to lee for all the help and for leading to this fantastic IEM!!

Sep 8, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #3,012 of 7,699
Your welcome :). That cable is actually more durable than you'd think. It may not look like much but it and especially its older siblings (the IE8) have some of the most durable cables out of all IEMs. I didn't upgrade my cable to the silver galaxy for durability or usability at all. It was purely for the sound quality improvement.

Sep 8, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #3,013 of 7,699
Quote:
Your welcome :). That cable is actually more durable than you'd think. It may not look like much but it and especially its older siblings (the IE8) have some of the most durable cables out of all IEMs. I didn't upgrade my cable to the silver galaxy for durability or usability at all. It was purely for the sound quality improvement.

And if I can ask, what did you hear in terms of the SQ improvement from the silver galaxy?

Sep 8, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #3,014 of 7,699
I've mentioned it earlier on in the thread. Improved clarity, added treble extension, a more forward mid-range, tightened bass, mid bass decreases and sub-bass slightly increases. The sound-stage slightly increases. The combined difference is enough to make quite a nice improvement. I'd say its along the lines of getting a good amp in comparison. But do both and you know where I'm heading with this :wink:. Lets say its enough of a difference for me to be disappointed in the IE80 with the stock cable. I did a side by side comparison between my dads pair and I was left underwhelmed by his set (stock cable). Once you get accustomed to the sound its very easy to point out the differences.

Sep 8, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #3,015 of 7,699
After about two solid hours of listening, I will say that this is a truly impressive IEM. I am surprised by the bass. Hits hard with texture. Not sloppy or boomy. Great impact...this is audiophile bass to my ears. I would call this a somewhat dark signature in the mid and upper register. This is a bonus for me. I tend to gravitate towards a dark signature, as bright tends to fatigue with me quickly. 

I have listened to everything from Brahms Symphonies to Maxwell MTvUplugged. The ie80 has handled everything really well. I have wanted an IEM for years. Something to add to my collection of equipment for when I didn't want to use full sized hp's. Well, the search is over. These are wonderful. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back