Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Sep 5, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #2,986 of 7,699
Quote:

If you are sensitive to treble spikes you may have problems with the EX600 and EX1000. The MDR-7550 would be a better bet if you are concerned in that regard (fatiguing highs). The IE80s are great IEMs and have managed to stay with me the longest out of the rest of my gear.

Thank you. I never really liked most Sony Headphones I tried, but after reading reviews, I expected the EX600/1000 to be different. I guess not. I was wondering if you (or anyone else) knows how the Klipsch X10 compare to the IE8s. I know that they are Klipsch's flagship and supposedly MSRPed for $350, $100 than the IE8's MSRP. They street price is much lower, however.

Once again, thanks for all the advice and time and money saved.

Sep 6, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #2,987 of 7,699
Quote:

Thank you. I never really liked most Sony Headphones I tried, but after reading reviews, I expected the EX600/1000 to be different. I guess not. I was wondering if you (or anyone else) knows how the Klipsch X10 compare to the IE8s. I know that they are Klipsch's flagship and supposedly MSRPed for $350, $100 than the IE8's MSRP. They street price is much lower, however.

Once again, thanks for all the advice and time and money saved.

I did mention the Sony MDR-7550. That is Sonys second highest flagship in the line. The EX1000 is considered the top flagship. The MDR-7550s really do deserve some credit. Excellent IEMs IMO.

Sep 6, 2012 at 7:12 AM Post #2,988 of 7,699
I decided to go with the IE80. Thanks to Lee for your help finding the best deal!! I'm starting to research an aftermarket cable and any help would be appreciated. 

Also, I've had trouble with IEM tips in the past and it seems like the comply tips are highly regarded. If anyone has other suggested please let me know. 

thanks...M

Sep 6, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #2,989 of 7,699
Quote:
I decided to go with the IE80. Thanks to Lee for your help finding the best deal!! I'm starting to research an aftermarket cable and any help would be appreciated. 

Also, I've had trouble with IEM tips in the past and it seems like the comply tips are highly regarded. If anyone has other suggested please let me know. 

thanks...M

What size tips do you use? I recommend using silicone tips as comply tips will muffle the sound, increase bass and muddy the mid-range up a bit. I use large silicone tips from JVC. You can get them for really cheap from ebay. There are also other sizesso if you check out this guys store you can find different size options (large, medium and small). These are by far the best tips I've used. They sound excellent on my IE80s and Tralucent 1Plus2s.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-x-JVC-Replacement-Ear-Phone-Ear-Bud-Gel-Tips-Various-Colours-Size-Large-/350573446310

Regarding a replacement cable. I use the silver galaxy cable and find it to bring a very nice improvement to the IE80s sound.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Advanced-Upgrade-Cable-SENNHEISER-IE8-Galaxy-silver-/120916313726?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D1342048670427243026%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26

You can make him an offer and bring his price down some. Maybe by $10.00. Not sure if you can get him lower though. Never hurts to try :p.

I also opted for a 3 year square trade warranty on this cable so in the event it ever goes defective after the original warranty is up square trade will reimburse me the total cost. Very well worth that little extra. I haven't had to use it yet though and I've had my cable for over a year now. :).

Sep 6, 2012 at 7:32 AM Post #2,990 of 7,699
Thanks Lee!! I'll check out those items that you suggest. I have a smaller ear canal and it's tough for me to find comfortable tips. This is what I fear the most and the reason I gave up on IEM's originally. About 6 years ago, long before I had gotten into HF, I had a crazy impulse and splurged on a very nice pair of Shure E4's (don't remember if this model is right, gave them to my dad). 

After lot's of reading, I know that the sound signature of the ie80 is what I'm after. I just hope that I can achieve a reasonable level of comfort and isolation. 

Thanks to all who have contributed to this awesome thread!!

Sep 6, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #2,991 of 7,699
Where will you be using them?  The IE80s aren't bad at isolation but not the very best in isolation. So if you ear canals are on the smaller side I'd recommend you consider both small and medium tips. Since they are really cheap it wont be much of an extra cost and will really help in ensuring one of those tips give you a good seal. I was also persistent myself in thinking the medium tips would work for me but I was wrong. Its gotta be large or no deal across the board with all tips pretty much.

Sep 6, 2012 at 7:43 AM Post #2,992 of 7,699
Sep 6, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #2,993 of 7,699
Looks nice but its Copper plated wire. The Silver galaxy is pure silver cable. There will be a difference in sound between both.

Sep 6, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #2,994 of 7,699
I know that with the cables I own, the detail is usually better with silver and the warmth is usually better with copper. Would this be true in this case with IEM cables?

Sep 6, 2012 at 7:51 AM Post #2,995 of 7,699
Quote:
I know that with the cables I own, the detail is usually better with silver and the warmth is usually better with copper. Would this be true in this case with IEM cables?

Yep :). You get a warmer sound with the copper wire (I had silver-plated copper wire before I upgraded to the silver galaxy). I also liked that sound as well. Wasn't as good as the silver cable but was better than stock. There was more control to the overall sound. I really liked them with Rock at that time though. Something that wire did for Rock was very appealing. That cable was also from zeroshoe on ebay and was slightly cheaper. Silver cable gives more treble extension, a more forward mid-range, added clarity and tightened bass. Sub bass emphasis increases while mid-bass slightly decreases IMO.

Sep 6, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #2,997 of 7,699
Looking forward to your impressions. They still impress me til this day. They may not be my best IEMs but they have staying power and a satisfying sound that would be to hard to part with :p.

Sep 6, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #2,998 of 7,699
If someone has a fit issue with ie80 , would be a good idea to re-shell at Unique melody ?
http://www.custom-iem.com/reshell-only-p-622.html

I wondering about difference in sound after re-shelling , mainly about soundstage , how You think Guys ?

Sep 6, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #2,999 of 7,699
Quote:

thanks...M

I'm using the Sony Hybrids, they're quite highly regarded as well.
And due to them being hybrids, it suits the likes of dynamic drivers.

There's tons of sizes available for it, I have small ear canals too.
The sizes available are SS, S, SM, M, ML, L, LL
I suggest buying a pair of each, if ur canals are small u may want to stop at M size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back