Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Apr 16, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #2,192 of 7,699
so i just got my silver cable just now. anyone knows how to remove the ie80 from the stock cable?

Apr 16, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #2,195 of 7,699

Quote:
so i just got my silver cable just now. anyone knows how to remove the ie80 from the stock cable?

Look forward to your impression on the sound change (if any) by the Silver cable. I promised one more good impression I would jump on the silver cable bandwagon. So be honest with your impression and don't trick me.
wink_face.gif

Apr 16, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #2,196 of 7,699
I have been listening to my IE80s for over 10 hours now and while good, these definitely are not as extraordinary as I had hoped.

Some observations:
Very good clarity and detail over almost any music genre
On pop music - sibilance and hiss means I cannot listen for more than 30 minutes in one sitting
On classical and choral - great separation and enveloping sound, nothing I can nitpick about
On dubstep - cannot seem to get the "subwoofer effect" on a lot of the bass tracks; definitely disappointed here because even my PFE132s did better
On metal/hardcore - separation seems to suffer; music is in-your-face and soundstage seems to suffer
On alternative - again plagued by sibilance and soundstage issues

I am aware of burn-in but I'm also wondering if this has more to do with ear tips seal and fit. On the Sensaphonics test, the higher note is unmistakeably louder. Of all the stock tips, the large dual-flange have been the best fit.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Apr 16, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #2,198 of 7,699
Look forward to your impression on the sound change (if any) by the Silver cable. I promised one more good impression I would jump on the silver cable bandwagon. So be honest with your impression and don't trick me. :wink_face:

I will write my impression after i get back from school. Cant wait to try the silver cable:D

Apr 17, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #2,199 of 7,699

Quote:
Look forward to your impression on the sound change (if any) by the Silver cable. I promised one more good impression I would jump on the silver cable bandwagon. So be honest with your impression and don't trick me.
wink_face.gif

lol how many times do I gotta tell ya lostid :wink:. Many people have confirmed it. You'll never know til you try it yourself. You trusted my advice on the IE80 and you loved it. Do you think I'll steer you wrong in this regard? :)

Apr 17, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #2,200 of 7,699

Quote:
I have been listening to my IE80s for over 10 hours now and while good, these definitely are not as extraordinary as I had hoped.

Some observations:
On pop music - sibilance and hiss means I cannot listen for more than 30 minutes in one sitting
On classical and choral - great separation and enveloping sound, nothing I can nitpick about
On dubstep - cannot seem to get the "subwoofer effect" on a lot of the bass tracks; definitely disappointed here because even my PFE132s did better
On metal/hardcore - separation seems to suffer; music is in-your-face and soundstage seems to suffer

I am aware of burn-in but I'm also wondering if this has more to do with ear tips seal and fit. On the Sensaphonics test, the higher note is unmistakeably louder. Of all the stock tips, the large dual-flange have been the best fit.

Well when you say sibilance that is not a characteristic of the IE8/IE80. They definitely do improve with usage. The treble on the IE80s is very smooth and non-fatiguing.

Apr 17, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #2,201 of 7,699

Quote:
lol how many times do I gotta tell ya lostid :wink:. Many people have confirmed it. You'll never know til you try it yourself. You trusted my advice on the IE80 and you loved it. Do you think I'll steer you wrong in this regard? :)

hey I believe you just that I don't believe those guys.
wink_face.gif

Apr 17, 2012 at 6:04 AM Post #2,202 of 7,699

Quote:

Some observations:

i found that some tips effect sound as in if they allow the iem to move or wiggle you can lose the bass and mid range. I find if i push the tip deeper into the ear i get more bass so i ended up going for the double flange initially to get a deeper insertion. However the double flange felt like i had a football wedged in my ear after a while so settled for the single flange.

Also if you care to look back through a couple of pages i mentioned similar findings to what you described though not in your detail and I was advised to give it burn in time but me being me I bought the galaxy silver cable and it took away all the trebly/sibilance that was annoying me. 

BTW what are you using as a source and are you playing flacs - all those observations could just as easily be a source issue - try another player if you havent already

EDIT: just been reading about the effect on sound that different tips make over here http://www.innerfidelity.com./content/comply-foam-tips-and-effects-tip-selection
well worth a read

Apr 17, 2012 at 7:32 AM Post #2,203 of 7,699
After Mepp's observations, I am no longer longing to get IE80's. I got rid of my SE535's for lack of deeper bass, among other things.

Apr 17, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #2,204 of 7,699

Quote:
After Mepp's observations, I am no longer longing to get IE80's. I got rid of my SE535's for lack of deeper bass, among other things.

Well Mepp is the only one so far having issues with sibilance. Another headfi member had issues with it before they burned in after which their IE8s were no longer sibilant in any way. They are one of the most non-fatiguing IEMS out there period to none.

Apr 17, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #2,205 of 7,699

Quote:

Some observations:

I find the ie80's sub-bass/jet rumble really great, actually I was thinking in my mind how good it was excatly when I was reading your post haha. IMO the IE80's lower freq go even deeper (although just slightly) than the FX700's (but for some reason I still prefer the bass on the fx700), and equally deep if not more than the EX1000's (much more presence, ex1000's go allllll the way down and sound great, just not enough bass volume).

I'm still in this rock/paper/scissors conundrum of which I prefer out of the three...

for me:

the FX700's sound 'off' after listening to the IE80's
the IE80's sound 'off' after listening to the EX1000's
and the EX1000's sound 'off' after listening to the FX700's

I bring two of the three to work every day, and its always a difficult decision on which two

EDIT: not the slightest sibilance or harshness in treble

Users who are viewing this thread

Back