Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Apr 12, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #2,161 of 7,699
     Quote:
Haha, when you do things like hiking, I wouldn't recommend having anything in your ears, ever.

I'm in a rural area, and do my walking mostly on back roads, and trails in the woods near my house, so no worries.  I do 4-5 miles per day, usually 5 days a week.  The music helps the miles go by.  

In the last 3 years, I've dropped nearly 60 lbs. and my cholesterol has gone from 245 to 188.  It's important for me to have IEMs that not only can produce quality sound, but can stay properly sealed without having to adjust them, and so far the IE 80s seem like they're going to be perfect.  

Apr 12, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #2,162 of 7,699

Quote:
     Quote:

I'm in a rural area, and do my walking mostly on back roads, and trails in the woods near my house, so no worries.  I do 4-5 miles per day, usually 5 days a week.  The music helps the miles go by.  

In the last 3 years, I've dropped nearly 60 lbs. and my cholesterol has gone from 245 to 188.  It's important for me to have IEMs that not only can produce quality sound, but can stay properly sealed without having to adjust them, and so far the IE 80s seem like they're going to be perfect.  

Props man! Feels good when the results show up!  I remember riding my bike with my ie8's when I first got into competitive bike racing.  Did they improve isolation on the ie80's at all? I remember going about 20mph on the trails, and the wind just tears the low end up on the ie8's.  Or are the ie80's a closed system now?

Apr 12, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #2,163 of 7,699
The isolation is OK, but yes, when the wind blows, some of it gets inside, and the bass diminishes a bit.  When walking (or biking, I guess) outside, there's a fine line; my JH-13s isolation was almost too good.  You couldn't hear anything outside at all.  But every footstep was like kicking a live microphone stand, and it was just eerie walking with them in.

Other phones I've tried didn't isolate enough, and outside noises would tend to drown out the music if you didn't want to blast the volume.

The IE 80s are right in between, and so far they are the best I've tried for this particular use.

Apr 13, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #2,166 of 7,699
Are these in short supply for any good reason? My local NY retailers and Amazon is out of them.

Apr 13, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #2,167 of 7,699

Quote:

Thanks for the link. I had a feeling something new was coming.

Quote:
600 euro earphones with a non removable cable... yeah...

The problem is not from normal use and for that matter you can trust the Sennheiser's engineering design. It's the unexpected accidents like the cable is cut for whatever reason that worries me.

Quote:
Are these in short supply for any good reason? My local NY retailers and Amazon is out of them.

IE80 or IE800?
wink_face.gif

Apr 13, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #2,168 of 7,699
And that's why I skipped the minor upgrade over the IE8. The rep confirmed something was in the works, but didn't want to tell me when they were coming.

Well there's my answer, and less than a year after the IE80's. Glad I waited

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Apr 13, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #2,170 of 7,699
Those IE800s look so cool, shame the US price will be way beyond what I can afford.  €599 is almost $800 dollars!

Apr 13, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #2,171 of 7,699

Quote:
Perhaps i rushed my impressions. After further listening, these aren't as good as the originals at all. All that's improved is bass, but soundstage suffers a lot. Also it seems as if instruments and different sounds are much closer together rather than spaced out and airy that u get with the originals. 

Consider these tips a disappointment to me. But purchasing these actually brought to light an issue i didn't know that i had, bad seal. I'll try look for other tips now, preferably ones that achieve the best of both worlds, ie.. good seal and good soundstage. Anyone have any tips (pun intended :p)?

Do you use the same tips while comparing both the iems? Sony hybrids are always a good choice for the sennheisers.

Apr 13, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #2,175 of 7,699

Quote:
I guess the IE800 will be like the HD800 of the IEM line.

No I think the JH13 is more like the HD800 of the iem line. I don't think the IE800 will come anywhere close to the HD800, but then again I don't think the JH13 will either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back