Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Apr 10, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #2,146 of 7,699
From my experience, the EX1000 is not that much sensitive to tips. If they fits then you likely got it. But IE80's seem to be different animals responding to tips. The tips make quite difference to the overall balance of the sound. I have about 4 pairs of the tips they all fit me nicely, but among them there is one pair bringing me the best out of the IE80. So make sure you try more tips (stock or non-stock) to experience the difference in sound.

Look forward to your impressions.

May i know what tips ur using? I tries several tips and i cant seem to find anytips that works for me

Apr 10, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #2,147 of 7,699

Quote:
Quote:
From my experience, the EX1000 is not that much sensitive to tips. If they fits then you likely got it. But IE80's seem to be different animals responding to tips. The tips make quite difference to the overall balance of the sound. I have about 4 pairs of the tips they all fit me nicely, but among them there is one pair bringing me the best out of the IE80. So make sure you try more tips (stock or non-stock) to experience the difference in sound.
Look forward to your impressions.

May i know what tips ur using? I tries several tips and i cant seem to find anytips that works for me

See this post for the tips I am using right now.

Apr 11, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #2,148 of 7,699
Galaxy Silver Cable - First Impressions

i bought this based on recommendations in this thread plus the ebay guy was having 10% off for easter + free shipping so bought them i did. I got them this morning and have been listening all day.

I wasn't really expecting to hear much of a difference and am well aware of imaginary perceptions especially after forking out money but the instant i plugged them in i could hear it alright and had to check that my EQ wasnt on some weird setting. Sound is smoother, more refined, bass is warmer and the harsh trebles that my ears were sensitive to were mostly gone altogether. I have now been able to reset the EQ on the cowon back to flat and so far most tracks of all genres are sounding good without having to do much adjustment.

For me after spending reasonably big bucks to buy the ie80's the extra $107 for a cable was a good investment as it really feels like i have just gone up several large steps in SQ.

Highly recommended !!!  (and i dont have golden ears - if i can hear the difference anyone can)

Edit: Forgot to mention that the cable is much stronger than the stock- everytime i accidentally snagged the stock cable i gave myself a heart attack thinking that i may have ripped them out of the connections or damaged them. The galaxy is just right without being bulky and instils a lot more confidence when wearing them.

Apr 11, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #2,149 of 7,699

Quote:
Galaxy Silver Cable - First Impressions

i bought this based on recommendations in this thread plus the ebay guy was having 10% off for easter + free shipping so bought them i did. I got them this morning and have been listening all day.

I wasn't really expecting to hear much of a difference and am well aware of imaginary perceptions especially after forking out money but the instant i plugged them in i could hear it alright and had to check that my EQ wasnt on some weird setting. Sound is smoother, more refined, bass is warmer and the harsh trebles that my ears were sensitive to were mostly gone altogether. I have now been able to reset the EQ on the cowon back to flat and so far most tracks of all genres are sounding good without having to do much adjustment.

For me after spending reasonably big bucks to buy the ie80's the extra $107 for a cable was a good investment as it really feels like i have just gone up several large steps in SQ.

Highly recommended !!!  (and i dont have golden ears - if i can hear the difference anyone can)

Edit: Forgot to mention that the cable is much stronger than the stock- everytime i accidentally snagged the stock cable i gave myself a heart attack thinking that i may have ripped them out of the connections or damaged them. The galaxy is just right without being bulky and instils a lot more confidence when wearing them.

Told ya. Its so easy to spot the differences. I bet you though your IE80s would have improved regardless with burn in. That treble becomes silky smooth after long usage. Things will open up more, treble will become smoother yet very extended and detailed. The mid range will open up more and bass depth improves. Bass will become a bit more controlled with usage and the emphasis is on sub bass. I generally keep bass knob on minimum :) Enjoy.

Apr 11, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #2,150 of 7,699
One more impression like this I will grab one of these silver cables. Hard to believe the IE80's with that amazing sound can be further improved. So far the mighty improvement in sound for me was from (iphone 4s + IE80 + 320 kbps) to (RB'd ipod 5g + IE80 + FLAC's). The RB'd ipod 5g simply blew the iPhone 4s out of water.

Apr 11, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #2,151 of 7,699
Would someone be kind enough to take a picture of them wearing their iem's with the silver galaxy cable? I'm curious to see if it rests well/ comfortably behind the ears

Cheers guys

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Apr 11, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #2,152 of 7,699
Looks like you're out $100. had a slight issue with the left connector being a bit loose, but a bit of time with a hair dryer fixed that. Only real downsides, stock case was now too small, and the beefy nature of the plug meant that I couldn't plug it into my iPhone 4S while it was in the case. An Altoids tin solved the first issue, second problem pending resolution (the iPhone is not my primary listening device).

Quote:
One more impression like this I will grab one of these silver cables. Hard to believe the IE80's with that amazing sound can be further improved. So far the mighty improvement in sound for me was from (iphone 4s + IE80 + 320 kbps) to (RB'd ipod 5g + IE80 + FLAC's). The RB'd ipod 5g simply blew the iPhone 4s out of water.

Apr 11, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #2,153 of 7,699

Quote:
Looks like you're out $100. had a slight issue with the left connector being a bit loose, but a bit of time with a hair dryer fixed that. Only real downsides, stock case was now too small, and the beefy nature of the plug meant that I couldn't plug it into my iPhone 4S while it was in the case. An Altoids tin solved the first issue, second problem pending resolution (the iPhone is not my primary listening device).

Hey impression like this will only keep me from getting the cable.
wink_face.gif
  The only time I will use that stock case is when I either sell the IE80 or return it to Sennheiser for replacement.

Apr 11, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #2,154 of 7,699

Quote:
- sore ear lobes- the housing pushes into my earlobes and just annoys me - tried bigger tips to raise the housing outwards but still a pain

So true. I wish you can get the IE80 in Shure's shell.

Apr 11, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #2,155 of 7,699
I just got my IE80s today; first impressions are pretty good.  I had been looking for a pair of IEMs with this type of sound signature to use on long outdoor walks.  These work well; the cable is not very microphonic, and the isolation is not too severe (I want to hear car horns and barking dogs, just faintly).  

I've tried lots of IEMs, and for brisk walks, there's always been something wrong with them; either the cable is too microphonic, the seal isn't good, the cable doesn't fit well over the ears, etc.  I even had a pair of JH-13s, and although the sound was fantastic, they were not suitable for walking; the seal was perfect, of course, but every step I took I could feel inside of my head.  And the cable was noisy, as well.

So far, the IE80s are about the best I've tried with all of the issues mentioned above.  None of the stock tips that came with them were usable for me; I'm using Comply large foam tips, and today I walked 5 miles with them in, and the seal was fine the whole way.  I get the feeling that the Complys muffle the high end just a bit though; I wonder if there are any other large size tips I could try?

I'm using mine with an iPod 160GB classic, and an ALO RX amp and LOD.  

I'm letting them play overnight, and hopefully I'll get to try them on another hike tomorrow.  

Apr 12, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #2,157 of 7,699

Quote:
I just got my IE80s today; first impressions are pretty good.  I had been looking for a pair of IEMs with this type of sound signature to use on long outdoor walks.  These work well; the cable is not very microphonic, and the isolation is not too severe (I want to hear car horns and barking dogs, just faintly).  

I've tried lots of IEMs, and for brisk walks, there's always been something wrong with them; either the cable is too microphonic, the seal isn't good, the cable doesn't fit well over the ears, etc.  I even had a pair of JH-13s, and although the sound was fantastic, they were not suitable for walking; the seal was perfect, of course, but every step I took I could feel inside of my head.  And the cable was noisy, as well.

So far, the IE80s are about the best I've tried with all of the issues mentioned above.  None of the stock tips that came with them were usable for me; I'm using Comply large foam tips, and today I walked 5 miles with them in, and the seal was fine the whole way.  I get the feeling that the Complys muffle the high end just a bit though; I wonder if there are any other large size tips I could try?

I'm using mine with an iPod 160GB classic, and an ALO RX amp and LOD.  

I'm letting them play overnight, and hopefully I'll get to try them on another hike tomorrow.  

Welcome to the IE80 club. yeah isolation is not the best but very practical. Perfect for 24/7 use in terms of comfort of wearing and absolutely non-fatiguing sound, at least for me.

I don't think I will have this thing on for hiking though. I have done some nasty hiking - crossing multiple streams, walking up and down muddy and slippery trails trying to keep balanced. Even if I had the iem's on, I don't think I would care about the SQ or isolation.
wink_face.gif

Apr 12, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #2,159 of 7,699

- sore ear lobes- the housing pushes into my earlobes and just annoys me - tried bigger tips to raise the housing outwards but still a pain

Quote:

So true. I wish you can get the IE80 in Shure's shell.

interesting to see its not only me - i do wonder why the masters of design and engineering (the Germans) chose such a non-ergonomic design - they must have undergone rigorous testing and development so perhaps its only a few of us that really feel the sharp angles of the housing against the ears - i must admit though i am getting used to it and will probably find the best tip and positioning with more use

Apr 12, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #2,160 of 7,699

Quote:
Would someone be kind enough to take a picture of them wearing their iem's with the silver galaxy cable? I'm curious to see if it rests well/ comfortably behind the ears

Cheers guys

i know i should be multi-quoting but ....

its a bit tricky to take a side on photo of yourself with a large slr camera but the galaxy cable even though its stronger and thicker it actually retains the hook shape of your over ear and you dont need the senn over-ear holders as they sit quite well without them. Plus there not heavy or feel like you got a large cable wedged behind your ear.
In fact the stock cable with holders are thicker so the galaxy cable by itself is preferable to me as i found those holders fiddly to put on and never used them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back