Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Feb 9, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #1,426 of 7,699

Quote:

Don't worry about the little muddy sound and it will be gone given some time. Tips are important parts of the bad boys - not just for comfortable fit also for optimal sound. This is the trick that the OEM's can not do it for you as it varies from individual to individual. Don't just stop at satisfying with the fit and also try more tips (including non stock tips) to feel the sound difference (due to damping, mass, depth of insertion, etc I believe).

As for the dial, I personally enjoy the default bass at the lowest . I tried once by switching both L&R from the lowest to the highest, the sub bass was overwhelming to both my ears and music.

Good to know. Before my IE6 broke I was looking at getting some comply foam tips for them, might just get them for these instead. 

Feb 9, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #1,427 of 7,699
As long as you like the sound sig, be patient before you find the right tips (stock or non stock) for your seals. When you hit it with that "what I call magic" tips, these bad boys sure will deliver the results to their fullest potential. When that occurs, you simply enjoy the music only and never bother anymore with those fancy audiophile terms.

You can search a couple of pages back where I posted a pic of the non-stock tips I am using. But that doesn't necessarily mean it will work for everyone.

Feb 9, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #1,429 of 7,699
To keep beating that dead horse, I have to say that an aftermarket cable did improve the sound of the IE8 that I own.  And the cable I bought was only silver plated.  The IE8's sound sig was still there but it did make the bass tighter, trebles sparkle a bit more.  I was never a believer in cables and personally don't think it's worth the while with the prices companies charge for a small increment in sound but with a couple of earphones/headphones that I own the changes that I hear are welcomed.  

Feb 9, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #1,430 of 7,699

Quote:
Well can you confirm this yourself instead of going on what the dealer said? What are your feeling on this? Did your IE80 improve with usage?

It's true, when I first listened to them I wanted to return them and there's no question, they did get much better after several all night long burn-ins.

Feb 9, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #1,431 of 7,699

Quote:
Good to know. Before my IE6 broke I was looking at getting some comply foam tips for them, might just get them for these instead. 

I'd recommend against the comly tips, it will increase the bass and you'll lose treble detail, pretty much muddying up the sound. What size tips are you wearing? I'll post the tips I've bought again for you as it may be the solution for you. I used the large double flanges before and the large single flanges from Sennheiser (but they didn't seal to well and I lost the seal easily). With the 2 below links, these tips give great comfort and seal, while giving a more balanced sound presentation to my ears. Good luck.

EDIT: Sorry about that :wink: that may have been linked to my account while I was logged on. Below should be the proper links. Keep in mind there are also medium and small versions of these tips available. So if you find the large single or double flanges from the Sennheisers to do a decent or so so job these may do an even better job as they have for me.

http://www.amazon.com/HA-NCX77-Replacement-Silicone-Tips-Large/dp/B003P8XOQ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328861564&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Clear-Replacement-Silicone-V-MODA-V-moda/dp/B002X866S2/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1328861320&sr=8-6

Feb 10, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #1,433 of 7,699

I own both the IE80 stock cable(at the moment)t and the HD650 with Equinox and foams removed and to me they arent much different in SQ, just that HD650 is open and airy, I have driven the HD650 from a BCL and do find similarities between them, of course without the ear flapping. I also am waiting for my Silver Galaxy, probably the changes will match equinox. A desktop setup and a portable are for different occasions, you should have both.

Quote:
I don't want to spoil your fun, but I would take the risk going with a headphone over an IEM any day. I own both the IE8's and HD600/650, and the headphones are in a totally different league. 

It's up to you to discover

Feb 10, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #1,434 of 7,699
I totally agree, a simple LOD with different cables, made differences to transparency, better instrument separation and crisper sound. These are real valid reasons to upgrade he and my Silver Galaxy is on its way, If there were no changes in SQ, then most of the audiophiles here are probably wrong, or have collected too much earwax to be able to hear the differences.

Quote:
Just because you haven't heard a change in sound or don't believe in it doesn't make it impossible. I can't say that my silver cable made a night and day difference but I can clearly tell the difference with the cable and with the stock. I've compared 2 IE80s side by side and there is clearly a difference. Your opinion doesn't invalidate others as it is just an opinion. Same goes with mine. What I can say is the difference in sound warrants me keeping this cable over stock, that's for sure.

Quote:
Until you try it for yourself Muppet and Boky you'll never know. You can speculate but you'll never now...

And I never said it was an all in one wonder that fixes all issues. It sure does improve my IEMs though. Others have confirmed this as well (burtomr, Dannybai). Both of them also experienced the sibilance issues for a few days with their IE8s just as I did. Once the drivers settled back down what remained was noticeable improvements in all 3 frequencies. Take it with a grain of salt if you will, I could give a rats #$$.

Feb 10, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #1,435 of 7,699

Quote:
I'd recommend against the comly tips, it will increase the bass and you'll lose treble detail, pretty much muddying up the sound. What size tips are you wearing? I'll post the tips I've bought again for you as it may be the solution for you. I used the large double flanges before and the large single flanges from Sennheiser (but they didn't seal to well and I lost the seal easily). With the 2 below links, these tips give great comfort and seal, while giving a more balanced sound presentation to my ears. Good luck.

EDIT: Sorry about that :wink: that may have been linked to my account while I was logged on. Below should be the proper links. Keep in mind there are also medium and small versions of these tips available. So if you find the large single or double flanges from the Sennheisers to do a decent or so so job these may do an even better job as they have for me.

http://www.amazon.com/HA-NCX77-Replacement-Silicone-Tips-Large/dp/B003P8XOQ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328861564&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Clear-Replacement-Silicone-V-MODA-V-moda/dp/B002X866S2/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1328861320&sr=8-6

Appreciate the tips and info. However I don't know where I'd find those tips in a store that ship them to Sweden. But I'm sure I'll be able to buy cheap replacement tips somewhere. Also I use the large size. Having had them for another day I get sense I'm listening to the music as it was meant to be heard. Everything is just so much clearer with the 80's which is a pretty awesome. Folk music sounds awesome on them. 

Feb 10, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #1,436 of 7,699

Quote:
Appreciate the tips and info. However I don't know where I'd find those tips in a store that ship them to Sweden. But I'm sure I'll be able to buy cheap replacement tips somewhere. Also I use the large size. Having had them for another day I get sense I'm listening to the music as it was meant to be heard. Everything is just so much clearer with the 80's which is a pretty awesome. Folk music sounds awesome on them. 

There you go and that's what it matters with the IEM's and the tips.
wink_face.gif

Feb 10, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #1,437 of 7,699

Quote:

If you are willing to pay for the items and shipping I could send them to you but not sure if its worth it to you though. :frowning2:. That's the problem with living abroad...

Feb 10, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #1,438 of 7,699

Quote:

Have you tried just ordering them?

Otherwise, amazon.co.uk ships to Sweden.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back