Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Feb 9, 2012 at 4:58 AM Post #1,396 of 7,699
Totally agreed. Even if the cables do make any difference, it's not going to be huge, like it can change sound signature or frequency response, you'd need an EQ to do that.

Quote:

A can of worms indeed. Here's something I wrote nearly a year ago:

I always find it rather curious that:

If an IEM happens to have harsh treble, an aftermarket cable tames the high frequencies.

If an IEM has recessed mids, an aftermarket cable solves the problem and brings the mids forward, just to where they should be.

If an IEM has bloated/booming bass, an aftermarket cable suddenly makes the bass tight and refined.

If an IEM has a narrow soundstage, suddenly that soundstage widens with an aftermarket cable.

And so on, and so forth.

To this day I don't believe in such miracles. My experience with such cables has shown me there's no change whatsoever.

Feb 9, 2012 at 5:37 AM Post #1,397 of 7,699
Just because you haven't heard a change in sound or don't believe in it doesn't make it impossible. I can't say that my silver cable made a night and day difference but I can clearly tell the difference with the cable and with the stock. I've compared 2 IE80s side by side and there is clearly a difference. Your opinion doesn't invalidate others as it is just an opinion. Same goes with mine. What I can say is the difference in sound warrants me keeping this cable over stock, that's for sure.

Feb 9, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #1,398 of 7,699
That's exactly my point, does that small difference (whether it improves the fidelity of the phones or not) justify for a price that sometimes cost more than the IEM itself? For me it doesn't, I'd rather spend it on a better pair of phones. For instant, the price difference between the IE8 and the IE80 is a lot less than an aftermarket cable, I'd rather get the IE80 than an IE8 with a magic cable. Just my 2 cents. 
wink.gif

Quote:
I can't say that my silver cable made a night and day difference but I can clearly tell the difference with the cable and with the stock. I've compared 2 IE80s side by side and there is clearly a difference. Your opinion doesn't invalidate others as it is just an opinion. Same goes with mine. What I can say is the difference in sound warrants me keeping this cable over stock, that's for sure.

Feb 9, 2012 at 6:24 AM Post #1,400 of 7,699

Quote:
That's exactly my point, does that small difference (whether it improves the fidelity of the phones or not) justify for a price that sometimes cost more than the IEM itself? For me it doesn't, I'd rather spend it on a better pair of phones. For instant, the price difference between the IE8 and the IE80 is a lot less than an aftermarket cable, I'd rather get the IE80 than an IE8 with a magic cable. Just my 2 cents. 
wink.gif

Fair enough. Although my magical cable didn't cost me an arm and a leg. The twag cables are way to expensive IMO.

It also did have a bigger effect on the IE8s than the IE80 but still quite noticeable.

Feb 9, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #1,401 of 7,699

Quote:
I'd hope so lol its my first language. Is English your first language?

Third. Russian->Ukrainian->English:)

I want some new IEMs. I was trying almost everything what i want and now decided to buy something "classical" like Adidas Superstar/Levi's 501 style earphones.

Maybe take a look on something another. I know IE8 very well, but they were not my favourites.

Or maybe try to find some another sound, like EHP100, RE272.

Also i'm tired to pay a lot of money for a "good products".

Feb 9, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #1,402 of 7,699

Quote:
If anything you should notice some improvements in sound stage & imaging but not so sure if its worth the extra bulk. If you really wanna upgrade you are better served to look into a more powerful and resolving DAP so you won't even have a need to carry around an amp. T51 was a good option but the reliability was $hit for me and I'm still hearing many complaints regarding it. The Studio V so far is my favorite on the go with the IE80. The E11 is a decently cheap amp though so if you are looking for slight improvements it could be a good option. Still the Cowon doesn't have a true line out and its amp section would be its weak point. So double amping a somewhat decent amp with a better amp won't yield you as good of results from using a line out on a good DAP.

Ok,thanks for your input! :D
Think I'm probably gonna get the E17 as it has an amp and a dac,and im also on a budget. xD

Feb 9, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #1,403 of 7,699
And I'm still arguing that you won't even need an amp to the J3, especially with the IE80.. I could barely hear any differences between J3 and E11 with my RE-262's and those things are quite hungry.

Feb 9, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #1,404 of 7,699

Quote:
And I'm still arguing that you won't even need an amp to the J3, especially with the IE80.. I could barely hear any differences between J3 and E11 with my RE-262's and those things are quite hungry.

really??? o.O
Man im confused!!!

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #1,406 of 7,699

Quote:

A can of worms indeed. Here's something I wrote nearly a year ago:

I always find it rather curious that:

If an IEM happens to have harsh treble, an aftermarket cable tames the high frequencies.

If an IEM has recessed mids, an aftermarket cable solves the problem and brings the mids forward, just to where they should be.

If an IEM has bloated/booming bass, an aftermarket cable suddenly makes the bass tight and refined.

If an IEM has a narrow soundstage, suddenly that soundstage widens with an aftermarket cable.

And so on, and so forth.

To this day I don't believe in such miracles. My experience with such cables has shown me there's no change whatsoever.

Haha that was a good read. Sounds pretty ridiculous how people thinks cable will magically fix those problems. Anyhow, putting that aside I never bought a custom cable and probably never will.

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #1,407 of 7,699
The Silver Galaxy cable for the IE8 easily pulls away from my IE80's.  Anyone who purchased have similar issues?
Btw, the P4 is "THE" amp to use with these babies.  Never thought an Ipod lod could sound so good with anything.

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #1,408 of 7,699

Quote:
Haha that was a good read. Sounds pretty ridiculous how people thinks cable will magically fix those problems. Anyhow, putting that aside I never bought a custom cable and probably never will.

You can pretty much substitute "aftermarket cable" with "burn-in" in those descriptors, too.

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #1,409 of 7,699

Quote:
The Silver Galaxy cable for the IE8 easily pulls away from my IE80's.  Anyone who purchased have similar issues?
Btw, the P4 is "THE" amp to use with these babies.  Never thought an Ipod lod could sound so good with anything.

When did you get the cable. Try and contact the seller and see if he is willing to do an exchange with you. I'm not having those issues with my cable. Then again I'm not constantly removing them and putting them back on.

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #1,410 of 7,699

Quote:
You can pretty much substitute "aftermarket cable" with "burn-in" in those descriptors, too.

Until you try it for yourself Muppet and Boky you'll never know. You can speculate but you'll never now...

And I never said it was an all in one wonder that fixes all issues. It sure does improve my IEMs though. Others have confirmed this as well (burtomr, Dannybai). Both of them also experienced the sibilance issues for a few days with their IE8s just as I did. Once the drivers settled back down what remained was noticeable improvements in all 3 frequencies. Take it with a grain of salt if you will, I could give a rats #$$.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back