Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Feb 8, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #1,381 of 7,699
I was plugging my IE8 to different sources. Yeah, they loves power!:)
And as a portable device i was having iTouch.
If Fuze, so maybe and Clip/Zip?
It can be interesting combo with a good price when little device+high capacity card + IExx:)

Feb 8, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #1,382 of 7,699
iPhone 4s drives the IE80 effortlessly and I have to lower the vol to the lowest possible in my office most of the time.

Feb 8, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #1,383 of 7,699

Quote:
iPhone 4s drives the IE80 effortlessly and I have to lower the vol to the lowest possible in my office most of the time.

iphone 4 does a pretty nice job but they do noticeably open up with really good sources such as my Studio V and DX100. Really no comparison between them and the iphone though :p

Feb 8, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #1,384 of 7,699
I like power, not a loudness:)
You can plug your IEMs to a powerful source and do not increase a high volume level and feel all great things of your IEMs.
For example with iTouch i was making high volume level to feel IE8 potential. It was good combo, but for example any soundcard, portable recorder, true China player, or any non portable amp making them sounds like a big good headphones.

Feb 8, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #1,385 of 7,699

Quote:
iphone 4 does a pretty nice job but they do noticeably open up with really good sources such as my Studio V and DX100. Really no comparison between them and the iphone though :p

Even using the same 320 kbps?

Feb 8, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #1,386 of 7,699

Quote:
I like power, not a loudness:)
You can plug your IEMs to a powerful source and do not increase a high volume level and feel all great things of your IEMs.
For example with iTouch i was making high volume level to feel IE8 potential. It was good combo, but for example any soundcard, portable recorder, true China player, or any non portable amp making them sounds like a big good headphones.

Exactly. Its not just about how loud you can get them but the dynamics you can get out of them. The more so you can drive them even at lower volume levels the better the source is.

Feb 8, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #1,387 of 7,699

Quote:
Exactly. Its not just about how loud you can get them but the dynamics you can get out of them. The more so you can drive them even at lower volume levels the better the source is.

Your English is better than mine
regular_smile%20.gif

Feb 8, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #1,389 of 7,699

Quote:
You don't need an amp with the J3 and IE80. E11 works well if you must have one.

How does the IE80 compare unamped and amped with an E11? Is there any noticeable improvements?

Feb 8, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #1,390 of 7,699
What to give it a try, but not sure which makes more sense at this point:

iphone 4s (own now) + AMP + IE80

or

DAP + IE80

??

Feb 8, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #1,392 of 7,699

Quote:
Here's something weird, when I turn the dials to max the sound feels less cramped.

Are you talking about the bass port? This is because the drivers get more air to breath so yes you'll have a bigger sound stage. This was at least the case when I did this with my silver cabled IE8s. I turned the bass knob to max and EQ down the mid bass and bass and got a bigger sound stage, more detail and reverberation. Haven't done so with the IE80 because I don't want to use EQ period.

Feb 8, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #1,393 of 7,699

Quote:
How does the IE80 compare unamped and amped with an E11? Is there any noticeable improvements?

If anything you should notice some improvements in sound stage & imaging but not so sure if its worth the extra bulk. If you really wanna upgrade you are better served to look into a more powerful and resolving DAP so you won't even have a need to carry around an amp. T51 was a good option but the reliability was $hit for me and I'm still hearing many complaints regarding it. The Studio V so far is my favorite on the go with the IE80. The E11 is a decently cheap amp though so if you are looking for slight improvements it could be a good option. Still the Cowon doesn't have a true line out and its amp section would be its weak point. So double amping a somewhat decent amp with a better amp won't yield you as good of results from using a line out on a good DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back