Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Feb 7, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #1,351 of 7,699
Feb 7, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #1,352 of 7,699

Quote:
damn,that sounds very promising! except for the midrange being forward..not sure if i like that..and is there any sibilance present on the IE80? xD

Oh, and could you please take a picture and show us your rig with your Silver Galaxy Cabled IE80! :D
PLEASE!!!! 

Your wish is my command

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #1,354 of 7,699
While the default and the bi-FLG stock tips both provide me with excellent fit, I actually found a pair of the stock tips for the EPH100 works the best for me in terms of the comfort and non-fatigue sound for long hrs of music (I mean pretty much 8 hrs everyday when I am in the office).

Here is a shot of the tip:

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #1,355 of 7,699

Quote:
While the default and the bi-FLG stock tips both provide me with excellent fit, I actually found a pair of the stock tips for the EPH100 works the best for me in terms of the comfort and non-fatigue sound for long hrs of music (I mean pretty much 8 hrs everyday when I am in the office).

Here is a shot of the tip:

Same here, I want to find more of the yamaha tips.

Feb 7, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #1,357 of 7,699
Hi,I've owned a pair of ie 8s for the past three years as my only 'phones.I intended getting some HD 650s at some point,but am not so sure now,I'm actually quite happy with IEMs,and have reservations about full sized 'phones clamping my head.The ie 80s have really got me thinking,it sounds as though there a big improvement on the ie 8s.I'll be using a Nuforce HD dac/amp with a laptop and lossless files.I'd consider a cable upgrade if it's worth while,as well as custom molds.In the UK,ACS no longer make Senn. molds,a company called ProGuard do,but for ie 8s.Are the nozzles on the two 'phones the same guage? I understand it's not realistic to compare an IEM with a full sized 'phone,but is there a huge difference between the two.For practical reasons, IEMs suit my lifestyle a lot better.I'd really appreciate any pointers or advice anyone can give.Thanks.

Feb 7, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #1,359 of 7,699
oh and guys,what amp suits the IE80 best? Would a FiiO E11 or E17 be good? or an iBasso D-Zero? or iBasso P4?

I was thinking of getting a new setup, what are your opinions on it?

Cowon X7/Z2/J3 > iBasso CB06 > FiiO E11/E17/iBasso D-Zero/P4 > Sennheiser IE80.

Is it a good setup? Why?

Feb 7, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #1,360 of 7,699

Quote:

So did you try the tips on your IE8 and how that work for you?

Outstanding, been using auvio tips from radioshack to great success up to this point, the the yamaha tips are better for me, sound stage is reduced a little but details are much more noticeable with the new tips.

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #1,361 of 7,699

Quote:
Hi,I've owned a pair of ie 8s for the past three years as my only 'phones.I intended getting some HD 650s at some point,but am not so sure now,I'm actually quite happy with IEMs,and have reservations about full sized 'phones clamping my head.The ie 80s have really got me thinking,it sounds as though there a big improvement on the ie 8s.I'll be using a Nuforce HD dac/amp with a laptop and lossless files.I'd consider a cable upgrade if it's worth while,as well as custom molds.In the UK,ACS no longer make Senn. molds,a company called ProGuard do,but for ie 8s.Are the nozzles on the two 'phones the same guage? I understand it's not realistic to compare an IEM with a full sized 'phone,but is there a huge difference between the two.For practical reasons, IEMs suit my lifestyle a lot better.I'd really appreciate any pointers or advice anyone can give.Thanks.

Well with the IE8s you have a major mid bass hump issue. You can EQ it out but you still won't get the exact sound the IE80s have. Its naturally more in your face with a slightly smaller sound stage. I was turned off of the IE8 due to it being too laid back. With the IE80 its solved that for me. So basically you can enjoy the IE80 without having to use EQ and it sounds great. Its emphasis is on sub bass and not on mid bass as the IE8 was. Its mid range is not clouded and nor is its treble overshadowed by mid bass. So you get a more dry (less warmth) presentation with more detail.

The HD650 will still win hands down from what I hear. The sound stage is noticeably bigger since these are full size headphones and I'm sure all other aspects of the sound are still superior. But with  the IE8/IE80 you do get that full size headphone type sound stage but not up to par with HD650. In the end its up to you. I mean you could always sell your IE8s as well if you wanted to fund both. Just haggle your Sennheiser dealer for a great price on both items or even just one if you do opt for one of these. Don't pay full MSRP. Not worth it.

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #1,362 of 7,699

Quote:
Outstanding, been using auvio tips from radioshack to great success up to this point, the the yamaha tips are better for me, sound stage is reduced a little but details are much more noticeable with the new tips.

Glad the tips work for you. Honestly I am happy that I bought the EPH100 even just for this reason, otherwise I wouldn't possibly have the chance to try these tips on my IE80. It amazes me that the sound is so sensitive to the tips.

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #1,363 of 7,699

Quote:
Glad the tips work for you. Honestly I am happy that I bought the EPH100 even just for this reason, otherwise I wouldn't possibly have the chance to try these tips on my IE80. It amazes me that the sound is so sensitive to the tips.

Now aren't you curious how my tips sound :). The material is a bit thicker than the flimsy one on the stock IE80 tips so it makes for a more comfortable and good seal. Not air tight but it allows for great bass response and a more even presentation.

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #1,364 of 7,699

Quote:
Now aren't you curious how my tips sound :). The material is a bit thicker than the flimsy one on the stock IE80 tips so it makes for a more comfortable and good seal. Not air tight but it allows for great bass response and a more even presentation.

Yes more comfortable yet no airtight fit (you know I hate deep and airtight fit). I believe the bass quantity may be reduced a little bit at the default level in my case (which I feel perfect). But you can adjust the bass level if you want. The details/separations seem to be more opened up with the tips. The sound is more non-fatigue than using the stock tips for long hrs of music.

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #1,365 of 7,699

I generally try to do low volume listening for long listening sessions. Sometimes I'll bump it up but not for long.
Quote:

Yes more comfortable yet no airtight fit (you know I hate deep and airtight fit). I believe the bass quantity may be reduced a little bit at the default level in my case (which I feel perfect). But you can adjust the bass level if you want. The details/separations seem to be more opened up with the tips. The sound is more non-fatigue than using the stock tips for long hrs of music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back