Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Feb 9, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #1,412 of 7,699

Quote:
That too. To this day, I still don't know how people comes up "x amount of hours" before it takes effect. 

Well by listening one can do this. I never burned in my IE8s/IE80s other than actually listening to them and noticing the changes. The IE8s were the ones that really changed quite a bit with usage. Not so much the IE80 other than it smoothing out a bit. Now the IE7 sounded like horse %hit and I could not stand to listen to it until after 220 hours of constant burn in. It just sounded like garbage when compared to my well used IE8s. Take that with a grain of salt if you will lol.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #1,413 of 7,699
My new IE80 sounded a little bit muddy, boomy and slow. After a couple of weeks of burn ins and with a pair of screwing tips, my search for a pair of satisfactory IEM's is all over.

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #1,415 of 7,699

Quote:
The dealer where I bought mine said it will not sound good out of the box and needs at least 30 hours.

Well can you confirm this yourself instead of going on what the dealer said? What are your feeling on this? Did your IE80 improve with usage?

Feb 9, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #1,420 of 7,699

Quote:
:S that sounds awful. I swear, I sometimes take too many things for granted.

When I say vultures I mean it in personification to the greedy private companies who have plagued our system for several years and have killed many in the name of profit...

Feb 9, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #1,422 of 7,699
Got mine today and have listened for around maybe 3 hours and I really like the them and the bass. Big step up from my previous IE6. On some tracks the soundstage is pretty swell as well, not all to noticeable on others though. Also, again on some tracks, they don't sound "loud" enough in the sense that the sound is not so much in my head but feel like it's more in the background even though I got a good seal, and I can't hear it all to clearly, muddy might be word I'm looking for, but I'm getting more use will solve this problem. 

Also the the double flanged tips gives me a good seal but they aren't as comfy as the foam or regular silicone tips which is slightly frustrating.  

And what setting on the "bass dial" to you guys use? I think I'm gonna roll with it turned down all the way just cause it's seem the least fatiguing and work with the best overall with different genres. 

Feb 9, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #1,423 of 7,699

Quote:
really??? o.O
Man im confused!!!

Quote:
The biggest benefit of an amp for me personally is the elimination of hiss. I have no idea how hissy the J3 is with the IE80, though.

Testing here right now. With no music on, the J3 is audibly a little "hissier" than the E11 at some volumes (which was a rather weird experience - at volume < 30 there was no hissing, at 31 some, at 32 even more, at 33 none, at 34 some, at 35 more, and so on). Otherwise I can't hear any differences. I'm not saying that there aren't any, but that if there are differences they certainly aren't obvious to me. Sounds pretty much the same.

Feb 9, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #1,424 of 7,699
I generally use minimum settings myself. The standard tips Sennheiser gives is a joke IMO and you may find much better alternatives from other manufacturers as I have.

Quote:
Got mine today and have listened for around maybe 3 hours and I really like the them and the bass. Big step up from my previous IE6. On some tracks the sound stage is pretty swell as well, not all to noticeable on others though. Also, again on some tracks, they don't sound "loud" enough in the sense that the sound is not so much in my head but feel like it's more in the background even though I got a good seal, and I can't hear it all to clearly, muddy might be word I'm looking for, but I'm getting more use will solve this problem. 

Also the the double flanged tips gives me a good seal but they aren't as comfy as the foam or regular silicone tips which is slightly frustrating.  

And what setting on the "bass dial" to you guys use? I think I'm gonna roll with it turned down all the way just cause it's seem the least fatiguing and work with the best overall with different genres. 

Feb 9, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #1,425 of 7,699

Quote:
Got mine today and have listened for around maybe 3 hours and I really like the them and the bass. Big step up from my previous IE6. On some tracks the soundstage is pretty swell as well, not all to noticeable on others though. Also, again on some tracks, they don't sound "loud" enough in the sense that the sound is not so much in my head but feel like it's more in the background even though I got a good seal, and I can't hear it all to clearly, muddy might be word I'm looking for, but I'm getting more use will solve this problem. 

Don't worry about the little muddy sound and it will be gone given some time. Tips are important parts of the bad boys - not just for comfortable fit also for optimal sound. This is the trick that the OEM's can not do it for you as it varies from individual to individual. Don't just stop at satisfying with the fit and also try more tips (including non stock tips) to feel the sound difference (due to damping, mass, depth of insertion, etc I believe).

As for the dial, I personally enjoy the default bass at the lowest . I tried once by switching both L&R from the lowest to the highest, the sub bass was overwhelming to both my ears and music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back