Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Feb 4, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #1,321 of 7,699
I bought some IE7s when J&R was getting rid of their stock for cheap, and one of the cables had the inside wiring detach (no more sound). I sent it in for warranty service, and according their email they're sending me the IE80. I didn't even know there was a new model out.

I'm really excited to check these out, but I'm still having a hard time believing that they're sending me new IEMs that are $300+ more than what I had originally payed, although it make sense since there isn't exactly a proper replacement for the IE7 (IE60 would probably be a downgrade). Gotta love Sennheiser.

Feb 4, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #1,322 of 7,699

Quote:
I bought some IE7s when J&R was getting rid of their stock for cheap, and one of the cables had the inside wiring detach (no more sound). I sent it in for warranty service, and according the their email they're sending me the IE80. I didn't even know there was a new model out.

I'm really excited to check these out, but I'm still having a hard time believing that they're sending me new IEMs that are $300+ more than what I had originally payed, although it make sense since there isn't exactly a proper replacement for the IE7 (IE60 would probably be a downgrade). Gotta love Sennheiser.

Congratulations to you. You will enjoy the IE80 a LOT (assuming with a good seal).

I wish I bought that IE7.
wink_face.gif

Feb 4, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #1,323 of 7,699

Quote:
Congratulations to you. You will enjoy the IE80 a LOT (assuming with a good seal).

I wish I bought that IE7.
wink_face.gif

Thanks! I've always had a good fit with Sennheiser's tips (CX300, IE7) while having a bad time with Logitech/UE and other brands. If they're like the rest of the Sennheiser IEMs in terms of fit, I should be good to go. 

Feb 4, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #1,324 of 7,699

Quote:

Thanks! I've always had a good fit with Sennheiser's tips (CX300, IE7) while having a bad time with Logitech/UE and other brands. If they're like the rest of the Sennheiser IEMs in terms of fit, I should be good to go. 

They have to send you them. If they cannot match the current model they have to give you the upgrade. Its always been that way. Congratulations.

Feb 5, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #1,325 of 7,699
Man, the metal finish on these looks great.
But then, the cables look uninspiring. And so does the price :p

Feb 5, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #1,326 of 7,699

Quote:
Man, the metal finish on these looks great.
But then, the cables look uninspiring. And so does the price :p

If you can get them for a decent price they are worth it. I paid $333 for my pair. The cable is very strong and durable. Its not as supple as the older IE8 cable but not far from it at all and much better than most IEM cables on the market still.

Feb 6, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #1,327 of 7,699

Quote:
I already have them IE80, take a look at my post at headphiles with Pics.

http://www.headphiles.org/index.php/topic,3307.new.html#new

Maniacl71 I am curious if your pair is a prototype of the IE80. It seems the pair I got from ebay is just the same. I was thinking they were fake at one point but realized that they are indeed real. They look slightly different from the pair I have from RAZERDOG, even the plating is a little recessed in comparison to the completely flat one on the other pair. But indeed the sound is there. It would appear these particular IE80s are a little harder to drive than my other pair which was most likely giving me the sense they were fake to being with. My dad will very much enjoy these babies though :).

Feb 6, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #1,329 of 7,699
For those who has custom cables, is it worth the money? I know I am opening can of worms but do you guys hear the difference? Just curious, since IE80 should be arriving in a week or two... I hope... I hate slow shipping lol.

Feb 6, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #1,331 of 7,699

Quote:
Do you EQ your IE8s to get rid of the mid bass hump. That fixed the issue for me with the mids being overpowered. I also upgraded my cable to Silver cable which brought the highs our more, brought more clarity, tightened the bass and moved the mids more forward.

I believe this conversation took place on the 50th-60th pages.

Feb 6, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #1,332 of 7,699

Quote:
I believe this conversation took place on the 50th-60th pages.

Yes even on the IE80s the silver cable will have a nice effect. I noticed this even on my first listen to my second pair of IE80s. I was a bit underwhelmed when I first plugged them in, then remembered to put my silver cable back on. Then it was exactly how I remembered the first pair sounding. For what its worth though the difference was more apparent on the IE8 IMO but it still offers a nice upgrade to the already nice sounding IE80.

Feb 6, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #1,333 of 7,699
Man, I would really like to own these. If only I had the cash. :/

Someone want a trade for the Hifiman HE-300 + $80? 
biggrin.gif

Feb 6, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #1,334 of 7,699

Quote:
Yes even on the IE80s the silver cable will have a nice effect. I noticed this even on my first listen to my second pair of IE80s. I was a bit underwhelmed when I first plugged them in, then remembered to put my silver cable back on. Then it was exactly how I remembered the first pair sounding. For what its worth though the difference was more apparent on the IE8 IMO but it still offers a nice upgrade to the already nice sounding IE80.

Where does one buy the silver cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back