Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Feb 2, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #1,306 of 7,699

Quote:
A quick question. I'm probably gonna end up getting the IE 80 today or tomorrow, I just wanted to know if playing 320 kbits/s mp3 with and iPod touch unamped is going to have an effect on the sound quality, FLAC files are just to big for me to get my music collection on the go. 

Also I feel as this song might be a cool song to listen to with the IE 80. Was reminded of it when I heard "Becoming a geisha" a couple posts up.

I think it's a good idea to use high bit mp3 as you are talking about. FLAC will yield a slight benefit but not enough to warrant the wasted space on an iPod. iPods aren't revealing enough to warrant lossless so stick with your mp3s and enjoy.
:)

Feb 2, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #1,308 of 7,699
Awesome, thanks for the quick reply. Just ordered them. Curious to hear the changes from the IE 6 I have (Fell asleep with them on and woke up with them under my back and I had pushed of the plastic tip where the grill and where you place the silicon tip on so I had only one ear piece I could use. Tired to glue but it didn't last longer than a day) 

Feb 2, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #1,310 of 7,699
Interesting he gave the IE80's an 8/10 and the IE8i's 9/10...... 

Feb 2, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #1,313 of 7,699

Quote:

I think it's a good idea to use high bit mp3 as you are talking about. FLAC will yield a slight benefit but not enough to warrant the wasted space on an iPod. iPods aren't revealing enough to warrant lossless so stick with your mp3s and enjoy.
:)

100% agreed.  After doing so much research, 320gbps makes the most sense.

Feb 2, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #1,315 of 7,699

Quote:
+1. I wiped out all mp3's from my ip4s and ipod previously below 320 kbps.

But if you do go to the realm of Audiophile DAP then of course stick to lossless. I in now way consider the iphone to be in the audiophile realm. Its a nice sounding player but there is much better options for portability with sound in mind :wink:.

Feb 2, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #1,316 of 7,699

Quote:
But if you do go to the realm of Audiophile DAP then of course stick to lossless. I in now way consider the iphone to be in the audiophile realm. Its a nice sounding player but there is much better options for portability with sound in mind :wink:.

+1 apple lossless doesn't sound any different (when compared to 320kbs) out of a iPhone

Feb 3, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #1,317 of 7,699
Anyone have suggestions for IE80 replacement cable or if it's even necessary? I'm pretty happy with the sound now. Can I buy replacement cable designed for the IE8s or should I just wait it out?

Feb 3, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #1,318 of 7,699

Quote:
Anyone have suggestions for IE80 replacement cable or if it's even necessary? I'm pretty happy with the sound now. Can I buy replacement cable designed for the IE8s or should I just wait it out?

I may get a IE8i cable with mic and remote for my iphone but that's not necessary.

As far as the sound, these bad boys have absolutely exceeded my expectations for ALL the music now I throw at them, not mentioning the fit, comfort, 2-yr warranty and HIGH quality of the build. Let me put (or hype if you say) this way, it can't be any better as far as I am concerned. I have found out a proper seal can really push these bad boys to the limit of excellence.

I am surprised that the OEM's actually don't emphasize enough the importance of the seal leading to the best sound. Each type of seals have different damping characteristics which directly affect the perceptions to the sound.

Feb 4, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #1,319 of 7,699

Quote:

Silver Galaxy cable from Zeroshoe on ebay. You can haggle him down a little bit. Maybe $5.00 off. His cables are very sturdy and clean looking. These are real silver cables not silver plated.

Feb 4, 2012 at 6:04 AM Post #1,320 of 7,699
Experience the power of IE80

Users who are viewing this thread

Back