Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Jan 29, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #1,291 of 7,699
I can get the IE8's for 200 USD from my friend..does the new design/sound justify the extra money in your opinions? Really want to get the IE80's but would like to stay under $300 as a budget..

Jan 29, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #1,292 of 7,699

Quote:
Guys, I´m getting crazy here.

I sent my first pair of IE80´s back because the bass was overpowering.
Got an new pair.
Same problem!!!

I just found out that an airtight seal really causes the bass to go boomy as some members here said.

What´s wrong with Sennheiser? If I get a deep seal the bass is crap. A loose fit is really hard to get, especially with the Sennheiser tips.

Any idea?

Sorry to hear that. Be patient and keep trying all the tips and probably other 3rd-party tips (which I had no experience). Also keep in mind the new IE80 may sound a little bit rough and boomy in the beginning. It will definitely improve after one wk as the burn in kicks in. yes from my experience a deep and airtight seal will contribute to the boomy sound as well as discomfort after long hrs of music. The proper seal should not be airtight or loose (sacrificing bass). My own theory is the vibration of the driver in an airtight space may have some thing to do with the "boomy" sound effect.

Good luck. if you can find a good seal you will be rewarded with the patience. The IE80 hardly leave my ears now.

Jan 29, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #1,293 of 7,699

Quote:
I can get the IE8's for 200 USD from my friend..does the new design/sound justify the extra money in your opinions? Really want to get the IE80's but would like to stay under $300 as a budget..

I think its worth the money but if you are willing to live with having to EQ your IE8s to make them sound good then go for it. Just IMO the IE8s got too laid back for my taste with extended use and the fact of having to EQ them to make them sound good was very irritating at such a premium. Also how long of warranty do you still have with these used IE8s?

Jan 31, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #1,295 of 7,699

Please listen to this song with IE80. Experience the power of IE80 (pay attention around 3:10 in the track).

Becoming a Geisha- Memoirs of a Geisha Soundtrack

Edit: Cello is by Yo-Yo Ma. I am really shocked by the capability of IE80 - that BIG sound stage and SQ. Please let me know if there is another pair IEM's which can duplicate the performance of the IE80.

Jan 31, 2012 at 4:29 AM Post #1,296 of 7,699

Quote:

Please listen to this song with IE80. Experience the power of IE80 (pay attention around 3:10 in the track).

Becoming a Geisha- Memoirs of a Geisha Soundtrack

Edit: Cello is by Yo-Yo Ma. I am really shocked by the capability of IE80 - that BIG sound stage and SQ. Please let me know if there is another pair IEM's which can duplicate the performance of the IE80.

please define "performance". Which trait are you looking for? soundstage? bass? both? or something else that isn't listed?

Jan 31, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #1,297 of 7,699
Very nice on my IE8's.... I would love to hear that directly off CD, as opposed to my computer....

Jan 31, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #1,299 of 7,699
Did you ever try the Sony Hybrid tips? I have the large ones on my IE8's (same size as IE80's, I believe) - I wear them over the ear and get a perfect seal every time. In addition, there is no discomfort whatsoever.

Jan 31, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #1,300 of 7,699
Quote:
So I sent my second pair of IE80´s back because finding the right fit was always a problem.
However, I really loved them every time I got the right fit.

What´s next?
RE262?
GR07?

Anything with a similar, warm sound signature?

Check out the Aurisonics thread, http://www.head-fi.org/t/589520/anyone-heard-of-aurisonics-custom-iem

They have a new universal dynamic (ASG-1)  that shows some promise (along with a custom). 

They can be had for less than $200 if you order from one of Aurisonics dealers.  I'm flip flopping between upgrading my ES7 to ESW9s or ordering the ASG-1.

Jan 31, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #1,301 of 7,699

Quote:
please define "performance". Which trait are you looking for? soundstage? bass? both? or something else that isn't listed?

Performance is the overall sound effect including everything that matters to the music.

Feb 1, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #1,302 of 7,699

Quote:
Performance is the overall sound effect including everything that matters to the music.

Then probably you would like the Dark Knight OST

But it really sounds better on my DT48, which has very good transients, I felt my heart jump at the climax, but with the IE80 seems slow, even HD650 full mod seems slow.

Feb 1, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #1,303 of 7,699

Quote:
Then probably you would like the Dark Knight OST
But it really sounds better on my DT48, which has very good transients, I felt my heart jump at the climax, but with the IE80 seems slow, even HD650 full mod seems slow.

I didn't seem to notice the slowness with the IE80. Sounds very good.

Feb 2, 2012 at 7:21 AM Post #1,304 of 7,699

Quote:
I didn't seem to notice the slowness with the IE80. Sounds very good.

I think if you compare your EX600 with the IE80 you'll notice it is faster. The note decay is faster while the IE80s notes will fade away slower. To me this is a preference thing as I like the IE80s decay.

Feb 2, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #1,305 of 7,699
A quick question. I'm probably gonna end up getting the IE 80 today or tomorrow, I just wanted to know if playing 320 kbits/s mp3 with and iPod touch unamped is going to have an effect on the sound quality, FLAC files are just to big for me to get my music collection on the go. 

Also I feel as this song might be a cool song to listen to with the IE 80. Was reminded of it when I heard "Becoming a geisha" a couple posts up. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back