Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Jan 27, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #1,261 of 7,699

Quote:
Aren't the Coppers supposed to be more fun / colored IEMs? The IE80 seems more on the analytic / reference side by comparison.

I think the IE80s are quite fun as is but I'm sure you are right about the coppers being noticeably more colored. The drivers they use though aren't as good as the IE80s and don't give as good of performance either.

Jan 27, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #1,262 of 7,699

Quote:
I think the IE80s are quite fun as is but I'm sure you are right about the coppers being noticeably more colored. The drivers they use though aren't as good as the IE80s and don't give as good of performance either.

I've never heard the Coppers, but from what I've read they seem like some of the most colored IEMs around. The IE80s will probably sound like reference monitors by comparison lol. I agree that they're fun, especially with the tuning ability. Fun, but in a sophisticated slightly serious German Sennheiser-y way.

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #1,263 of 7,699

Quote:
I've never heard the Coppers, but from what I've read they seem like some of the most colored IEMs around. The IE80s will probably sound like reference monitors by comparison lol. I agree that they're fun, especially with the tuning ability. Fun, but in a sophisticated slightly serious German Sennheiser-y way.

The thing is I prefer the knob on minimum. While I could easily turn it up it just adds a bit too much "fun" for my taste. Not to mention I don't use EQ so it just works great on stock. With the DX100 I use flat EQ on Custom settings and I must say its a very excellent sound.

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #1,265 of 7,699

Quote:
ThanKs lee :) I had the ie 8s before and I miss them and muppetface sorry man I was writing before I got to work no need to cry and make a deal of it. 

I think you may have taken muppetface's comment out of context. She was just trying to add to the conversation and not insult.

If you liked the IE8 I think you will love the IE80s. You won't need to EQ down the mid bass and bass like it was required to on the IE8 to just find them listenable. That was the biggest thing that made me hate the IE8. You should not have to EQ a $300.00+ IEM to just find it somewhat listenable lol.

Jan 27, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #1,266 of 7,699
I turn down the sound volume on my iphone 4s to the lowest possible but it still sounds a little bit too loud in my office. What am I suppose to do now?

Jan 27, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #1,267 of 7,699

Quote:
I turn down the sound volume on my iphone 4s to the lowest possible but it still sounds a little bit too loud in my office. What am I suppose to do now?

Do you use eQU maybe that could help? So even on the lowest setting the IE80s are too loud for you lol?

Jan 27, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #1,268 of 7,699

Quote:
Do you use eQU maybe that could help? So even on the lowest setting the IE80s are too loud for you lol?

No equ. Yes too loud on some tracks probably due to recording. I want to keep the sound low so I will be able to hear people calling me in the office.

Jan 27, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #1,269 of 7,699

Quote:
No equ. Yes too loud on some tracks probably due to recording. I want to keep the sound low so I will be able to hear people calling me in the office.

Well eQU may help but I'm not 100% sure plus I haven't loaded music on my iphone4 since ios5 due to hating itunes with a passion. The only other alternative would be to get a sansa clip for you music as I'm sure that can go lower in volume. Or maybe get a portable amp and connect it via your iphone 4 via line out. Otherwise I really don't know what else you could do. The UHA4 excels with my IEMs and has a digital potentiometer for low volume listening with no channel imbalance.

Jan 27, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #1,270 of 7,699
Any noticeable improvement on the isolation of these things compared to the original, or still about the same? 

Cheers.

Jan 27, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #1,272 of 7,699

Quote:

Have you tried using the volume adjustment on the music app and not the volume buttons on the phone?  The steps on the hard buttons are to far apart IMHO.

Jan 27, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #1,274 of 7,699

Quote:
Well eQU may help but I'm not 100% sure plus I haven't loaded music on my iphone4 since ios5 due to hating itunes with a passion. The only other alternative would be to get a sansa clip for you music as I'm sure that can go lower in volume. Or maybe get a portable amp and connect it via your iphone 4 via line out. Otherwise I really don't know what else you could do. The UHA4 excels with my IEMs and has a digital potentiometer for low volume listening with no channel imbalance.

Thanks for the suggestions but that sounds like too complicated to me.

Quote:
Have you tried using the volume adjustment on the music app and not the volume buttons on the phone?  The steps on the hard buttons are to far apart IMHO.

I tried and the problem is my finger is too big once it gets to the very end of the volume bar.

Jan 29, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #1,275 of 7,699
So, my parents were invited to us yesterday and my father brought the RE-262's. While they're an awesome set of IEMs, truly remarkable for some music (really..they are) I think the IE80's were superior.

Anyway, he brought his tips along, and we traded some. I took his smaller ones and he took my bigger ones, including the foam tips. I still stand behind the notion that HifiMans tips are quite a bit better than Sennheisers tips. At least for me. Even the ones of the same size, single flanged olives, the Hifiman tips did a greater job at sealing and properly isolating than the Sennheiser ones. Furthermore, Sennheisers tips had a bad habit of crawling out of my ears with usage, making me having to push the IEMs back in from time to time while listening, while the HifiMan tips made the IEMs to stay put at all times.

So, basically I'm saying that if you find the Sennheiser tips weird or not especially good, try Hifimans tips. Especially their double flanged silicone tips are real good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back