Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Nov 17, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #451 of 7,699

Quote:
Well, it's a slightly different matter when it comes to more bass driven genres than classical. Listening to Markus Schulz / Progression right now and the IE80's low end is a most enjoyable step up from their predecessor's, with better deep bass and overall improved definition.

James do you have the GR07? Are these IE80s a clear upgrade to them. They sound like it to me even from early impressions thus far.

Nov 18, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #453 of 7,699
Quote:
James do you have the GR07? Are these IE80s a clear upgrade to them. They sound like it to me even from early impressions thus far.

Sorry, I haven't heard the GR07. But from what I've read they're studio monitors and thus the target group seems very different to me. In my book the IE80 are targeted at consumers who want a fun and engaging, but at the same time very high quality (high-end) IEM. The IE80's sound signature will most likely not appeal to analytical listeners, even though there's plenty of detail if you look for it. But for casual listening on the move they're almost perfect in my book, unless you need very high isolation. I prefer a little bit of ambience in order to catch what's going on around me, and the IE80 have just the right bass level and overall balance to drown out ambient noise and let me concentrate on my music, without isolating me completely from my surroundings. At home my preference is clearly for more analytical IEMs, but for on the go these hit a sweet spot with me.

Quote:
even if they are as of now you have to remember the infamous burn in time the IE 8's required...

I haven't experienced much change on my IE8 after the first few days. Of course I can't rule out very small, gradual long-time changes, but certainly nothing significant.

Nov 18, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #454 of 7,699
Thats also whats intriguing me. The fact that your IE80s may not change so drastically, or not become as mellow. Although I did enjoy how mellow they could be. Just at some point it mellowed out a bit too much.

Quote:
Sorry, I haven't heard the GR07. But from what I've read they're studio monitors and thus the target group seems very different to me. In my book the IE80 are targeted at consumers who want a fun and engaging, but at the same time very high quality (high-end) IEM. The IE80's sound signature will most likely not appeal to analytical listeners, even though there's plenty of detail if you look for it. But for casual listening on the move they're almost perfect in my book, unless you need very high isolation. I prefer a little bit of ambience in order to catch what's going on around me, and the IE80 have just the right bass level and overall balance to drown out ambient noise and let me concentrate on my music, without isolating me completely from my surroundings. At home my preference is clearly for more analytical IEMs, but for on the go these hit a sweet spot with me.

I haven't experienced much change on my IE8 after the first few days. Of course I can't rule out very small, gradual long-time changes, but certainly nothing significant.

Nov 18, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #455 of 7,699
Is the housing solid metal or still plastic with a thin slab stuck to the flat part? It's hard to tell from the pictures. I wasn't expecting an improvement because sennheiser would be advertising it. I think it's just cosmetic to beat the pirating. 
I sold ie8 a few weeks ago to get these but wish I'd kept them now. I love them for orchestral music.  Now do I buy them again or get FX700?

Nov 18, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #456 of 7,699

Quote:
Thats also whats intriguing me. The fact that your IE80s may not change so drastically, or not become as mellow. Although I did enjoy how mellow they could be. Just at some point it mellowed out a bit too much.

Which is why I find myself using EQ to cut through the "veil" by increasing the mids and/or upper frequencies. I find this works very well and now I can un-mellow my IE-8's at will...
smile.gif

One of the advantages of running Rockbox player software is the ability to store/recall numerous different EQ settings.

Nov 18, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #457 of 7,699
Quote:
Is the housing solid metal or still plastic with a thin slab stuck to the flat part? It's hard to tell from the pictures. I wasn't expecting an improvement because sennheiser would be advertising it. I think it's just cosmetic to beat the pirating. 
I sold ie8 a few weeks ago to get these but wish I'd kept them now. I love them for orchestral music.  Now do I buy them again or get FX700?

It's just a thin metal faceplate, purely cosmetic. I'm a bit stumped regarding cassical music, since I really didn't expect the IE80 to sound less pleasant than the IE8 with it, but there's still a chance that they'll smooth out over time. I keep them playing from my home stereo overnight and they have about 50 hours on them. In theory the slight changes in tuning vs. the IE8 should be beneficial for all genres. Guess we'll have to wait and see...

As for alternatives with orchestral music, it depends on whether you can take more forward treble than the IE8's. If the answer is yes, then I recommend the EX1000 and FX700, in that order. But if you like it more laid back, then I'd stick to the Senns.

Nov 18, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #458 of 7,699
Hi everyone,

I don't know much about earphones but I have this rather weird question relating to the entertainment systems on board airplanes: would the IE80's minimum volume be too loud on board those airplane entertainment systems even when you set the movies to the lowest? 

Thanks.

Nov 20, 2011 at 6:37 AM Post #461 of 7,699
Since about a month ago I accidentally and stupidly stepped on my IE8, I've been planning to get it replaced.
(Funny how you always miss something when it's gone, now whenever I use my westone 3 I always think about my poor deceased IE8)
Now I listen mostly to alt. rock and some symphnic metal, would you guys suggest to wait for the ie80 or get FX700/EX1000 ?  

Nov 20, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #462 of 7,699

Quote:
Since about a month ago I accidentally and stupidly stepped on my IE8...would you guys suggest to wait for the ie80 or get FX700/EX1000 ?  

Ahhh....I suggest you should wait because, like the rest of us, IE-80's are not really available here is the US yet. Should be soon I hear like the next couple of weeks. Then you'll get some more feedback about IE-80's. There's always the replace your squished IE-8's option, too.

Nov 21, 2011 at 8:00 AM Post #463 of 7,699
Thanks James.

I already have the Ex1000 and love the detailed and engaging sound but they do faitgue my ears quickly. I'm going to try making some comply tips for them to reduce the treble.

Nov 21, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #464 of 7,699
Hi James444, I've got a question......Have you managed to interchange the cable on the IE8 with that of the IE80? If so, what were the results? I ask this because, I have been through almost three pairs of IE8s and all of them sounded great out of the box. I honestly can't say that I noticed any changes with prolonged use. They sound the same now as they were at the beginning. On a different tangent though, I perceived some minor differences in overall sound presentation when I used a touted "upgrade cable". I was rather skeptical at first, but I've conceded that some cables do make a difference, at least to my ears. I see you have some suspicions that the cable on the IE80 might be a slight variant to that of the IE8. Could it be possible that both IE8 and IE80 are actually tuned the same, but that the differences you are hearing could be the result of a different cable on the IE80? 

EDIT: I recognize that this might be a controversial question since some folks don't subscribe to the notion that cables alter the sound(rightfully ,so haha). Hence, you may PM me if you feel more comfortable doing so.

Nov 21, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #465 of 7,699
looking to get something close to HD-600/650's in the IEM world, these puppies sound like they may be the ticket - need fairly flat response and enough sub bass.

My only concern is the isolation - I would use these daily while travelling on the tube, and I don't really want to ruin my ears by having to turn up the volume because of ambient noise (the old clunky London Underground is quite noisy!)

How is the real world isolation on these, and can it be improved by changing the tips (without affecting the sound quality too much?)

Any other suggestions for similar audio quality IEMs, with excellent isolation?

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back