Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Nov 25, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #482 of 7,699

Quote:
More like the former, he was obviously impressed that Sennheiser made small, but effective adjustments vs. the IE8, without changing the basic sound signature.

Basically the IE80 is a noticeable improvement over the stock IE8?
cool.gif

Nov 26, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #483 of 7,699
Well, let's wait for him to chime in on that topic. I've already posted my POV and it's not an easy answer. My IE8 are still smoother with classical, but I prefer the IE80 with pretty much everything else. That's from a flat source. With EQ things get much closer.

Nov 26, 2011 at 5:47 AM Post #484 of 7,699

Quote:
Well, let's wait for him to chime in on that topic. I've already posted my POV and it's not an easy answer. My IE8 are still smoother with classical, but I prefer the IE80 with pretty much everything else. That's from a flat source. With EQ things get much closer.

Crossing my fingers james! If I can get a pair from seller for a good price, I'm on board. Burtmor and I are looking into this route. I won't go a cent over $300.00 for these IEMs. I'm shooting for $270.00 in all honesty.

Nov 26, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #487 of 7,699
Sorry, have to chime in here as a dealer with a lot of customers on this board and as someone who does NOT lie to make a sale or lie to make a larger than normal profit.  Sennheiser dealers do not make 150%-200%. As a dealer for several years, I can assure you this isn't the case. In ALMOST every case, MSRP is about 50% higher than dealer dealer cost. A $450 set of earbuds for example costs over $300 to a dealer. So going below $350 with bank fees, shipping, etc...yes puts a dealer at a $20-30 profit on one sale. Doesnt' make a lot of sense to do so when inventory is limited.

Take the popular IE 8 with a retail of $399. Most people here will tell you that finding these(authentic!) new for less than $260 is next to impossible. Why? If you take the 50% markup to retail, that puts dealer cost at around $250. So, anyone who thinks dealers like myself make 150%-200% is not doing the industry any favors. Email me anytime and I'm happy to show you my invoices!

Thanks for listening!
Quote:

So that would mean razerdogg is lieing and in that case I won't give him my business this time around.

Nov 26, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #488 of 7,699

Thanks for the correction RazorDog. Of course I'm still looking for the deals :).
Quote:
Sorry, have to chime in here as a dealer with a lot of customers on this board and as someone who does NOT lie to make a sale or lie to make a larger than normal profit.  Sennheiser dealers do not make 150%-200%. As a dealer for several years, I can assure you this isn't the case. In ALMOST every case, MSRP is about 50% higher than dealer dealer cost. A $450 set of earbuds for example costs over $300 to a dealer. So going below $350 with bank fees, shipping, etc...yes puts a dealer at a $20-30 profit on one sale. Doesnt' make a lot of sense to do so when inventory is limited.

Take the popular IE 8 with a retail of $399. Most people here will tell you that finding these(authentic!) new for less than $260 is next to impossible. Why? If you take the 50% markup to retail, that puts dealer cost at around $250. So, anyone who thinks dealers like myself make 150%-200% is not doing the industry any favors. Email me anytime and I'm happy to show you my invoices!

Thanks for listening!

Nov 27, 2011 at 7:50 AM Post #490 of 7,699
OK I've had the IE80 for a few days.
Although I no longer have the IE8 to compare with I am very familiar with the IE8 sound, having used them every day for years moving from IE8 to IE8i.
I would estimate they had more than 600 hours on them when I sold them.

I listen to classical music about 98% of the time. I only listen to other genres when exercising and then I use my HF2 for the isolation.
The IE8 was my favorite for orchestral music - concertos and symphonies because the bass hump added body to the orchestra and the large sound-stage added to the atmosphere.
I didn't use them for other genres because the bass was overwhelming and flabby even on the minimum notch.

Well I'm hearing big differences with the IE80.
The bass hump is still there but reduced and the bass is MUCH faster and tighter.
The entire frequency range is distinctly clearer.
Highs are crisper. Violins have more texture it's like the veil is gone.
Overall the sound is drier and more detailed - I like it!

Here are some observations with music I test every pair of new earphones/headphones.
"Living In America" - James Brown
    IE8 : Bass overwhelming and flabby couldn't bear to listen to it.
    IE80: Listened all the way through! Bass is tighter, more controlled. Bass is less prominent but still plenty.

"What A Wonderful World" - Katie Melua & Eva Cassidy.
    IE8: When the double bass enters it's too prominent.
    IE80: Bass fits much better. Piano and guitar sound more realistic
    At about time 2:10 the hi-hats are crisp.

The Four Seasons "Winter" - Vivaldi (Fabio Biondi)
        Violins clean and textured
        Drier detailed sound.
        Noticed strong reverb at end of first movement. Didn't notice it with IE8.

I'm wondering if these differences are more to do with my previous IE8 being worn out and a newer IE8 would sound closer to the IE80.
Also I never used the original case which includes the silica gel, so maybe moisture changed the sound of the IE8?
I'll be using the original case from now on because I don't want my IE80 to change :)
I hope burn-in doesn't change them because I can#t afford a new pair every 100 hours.

Conclusion: IE80 are my favorite for all genres :)

Nov 27, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #491 of 7,699

Quote:
Given that the IE8 are down to €180 now and the IE80 cost a whopping €100 more, I concur with your decision. The IE8's slightly stronger and less controlled bass won't make that much difference with classical. Plus, you get the better cable.
wink.gif

What?! 180 euro?! Could you please tell me where you find them that cheap online?

I recently returned my IE8 earphones cause the cable was damaged. I bought them for 200 british pounds from Amazon UK, and that's without VAT and shipping cost which rose the price to 240 Euros. Im gonna get my refund sometime next week and am currently looking for a site to get the IE8 since Amazon doesnt have stock anymore.

I was considering the IE80 but 240 Euro is the highest i can go for. So could u please tell me where you find the IE8 that cheap.

Nov 27, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #492 of 7,699

Quote:
What?! 180 euro?! Could you please tell me where you find them that cheap online?

I recently returned my IE8 earphones cause the cable was damaged. I bought them for 200 british pounds from Amazon UK, and that's without VAT and shipping cost which rose the price to 240 Euros. Im gonna get my refund sometime next week and am currently looking for a site to get the IE8 since Amazon doesnt have stock anymore.

I was considering the IE80 but 240 Euro is the highest i can go for. So could u please tell me where you find the IE8 that cheap.

James PM me where you got them for that cheap as well. Mucho gracias :)

Nov 27, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #493 of 7,699
Quote:
Conclusion: IE80 are my favorite for all genres :)

Thanks for your first impressions and glad that the IE80 work for you :) 

Tbo, I'm not so fond of the dryness you mentioned, and my IE8 have comparable detail if I EQ down the bass hump, without sounding that dry. To each their own, I suppose.

Quote:

Quote:
James PM me where you got them for that cheap as well. Mucho gracias :)

Sorry folks, too late :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back