Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Apr 16, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #7,652 of 7,699
If any of you use a DAP with TRRS balanced port, try this cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0745YCPJX/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
No more mid-bass hump for you, in fact, you will need a good seal! I'm not saying this setup will turn your pair of IE80 into a pair of Audio Technica ATH-MSR7, but the change will be dramatic, the sound I'm getting is breathtaking. (Open the bass-port by one notch only, or leave it closed)

How can a cable change the frequency response of a flat impedance dynamic driver IEM such as the IE80?
Anyway, for the price of that cable you can almost buy the Yamaha EPH 100, whose sound signature beautifully complements the IE80's one.

Apr 16, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #7,653 of 7,699
Looking for a IEM with good bass.

I heard the IE80 has good sub-bass and soundstage but is V-shaped. How are the mids? I like to hear my vocals not drowned out by the lows and highs. Deciding between this and Orveti Basic which apparently have good bass too and energetic mids.

IE80 is going like this

Bass > Mids > Treble

I find the treble smooth and too little in amount, or rather it isn't smooth, but it is too little in amount, while the midrange is thick, with a mid-bass hump. Sub-bass impact is most impressive, but the whole FR is colored by the mid-bass.

I'd try iBasso IT-01 for more sparkle in the treble. Not the width of the soundstage of IE80 though, but still amazing, and a top pick at 100$.

ONP is good, but does not have the soundstage width of IE80, nor the sub-bass impact, but ONP might have a clearer overall sound and a more balanced sound, no midbass hump means that it comes through as somewhat clearer and less warm.

Ie80 sounds incredibly wide though, if you're looking for warmth, bass, thickness and soundstage width, IE80 is quite impressive.

Apr 16, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #7,654 of 7,699
How can a cable change the frequency response of a flat impedance dynamic driver IEM such as the IE80?
Anyway, for the price of that cable you can almost buy the Yamaha EPH 100, whose sound signature beautifully complements the IE80's one.

Cables can do that, although I wouldn't recommend fixing IE80 with a cable more than fixing it with EQ, as I actually used to do that a lot when I was using it, something like -5 around 100Hz and a +3 around 8kHz, and a +7 around 16kHz this balances things out, makes them clearer, more sparkly, and more balanced.

Apr 16, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #7,655 of 7,699

If you'll use a TRRS vs. a SE connection, there will be an audible sound improvement, usually towards a tighten bass and more clarity.

Apr 16, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #7,656 of 7,699
Frankly, I have no idea. This is my third cable upgrade for the IE80, and each previous cables offered substantially different sound! This was the cable I used previously, and the sound produced was even leaner than the current one's: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiio-RC-IE...ment-Cables-/381563306483?hash=item58d6f201f3
As for headphones, I'm happy with the ATH-MSR7, needless to say I bumped up it's stock cable as well: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RTL477K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. The improvement was not as dramatic as in the IE80's case, but noticeable. Bottom line, as I noted in one of my earlier posts, I was getting ready to ditch the pair of IE80, I was just too lazy to eBay them. Since they were just laying around here collecting dust, I gut curious and tried different cables. The results surprised me as much as you are in disbelief...

Apr 16, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #7,658 of 7,699
Frankly, I have no idea. This is my third cable upgrade for the IE80, and each previous cables offered substantially different sound! This was the cable I used previously, and the sound produced was even leaner than the current one's: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiio-RC-IE...ment-Cables-/381563306483?hash=item58d6f201f3
As for headphones, I'm happy with the ATH-MSR7, needless to say I bumped up it's stock cable as well: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RTL477K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. The improvement was not as dramatic as in the IE80's case, but noticeable. Bottom line, as I noted in one of my earlier posts, I was getting ready to ditch the pair of IE80, I was just too lazy to eBay them. Since they were just laying around here collecting dust, I gut curious and tried different cables. The results surprised me as much as you are in disbelief...

For the little I understand, the main requirement of cables is to have negligible resistance. Maybe the trick is that, purposely or by accident, these upgrade cables have non-negligible resistance, thus audibly altering the sound signature. But again, as IE80 impedance curve is flat, so how can this happen? Maybe something related to the electrical damping? Does anybody made any measurements of any of those cables?

May 6, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #7,659 of 7,699
Sennheiser IE80 was the one that got me hooked on to this hobby. 3 years later and I still enjoy it very much. So when the IE80S was released, I was quite excited to know how it sounds and see how it compared to the original IE80. Luck had it that, I was offered an opportunity to review the 80S. Thanks to @twister6 and Sennheiser for that opportunity. Here is my review of the IE80S with comparisons to the IE80:

https://twister6.com/2018/05/05/sennheiser-ie80s/

May 6, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #7,660 of 7,699
Sennheiser IE80 was the one that got me hooked on to this hobby. 3 years later and I still enjoy it very much. So when the IE80S was released, I was quite excited to know how it sounds and see how it compared to the original IE80. Luck had it that, I was offered an opportunity to review the 80S. Thanks to @twister6 and Sennheiser for that opportunity. Here is my review of the IE80S with comparisons to the IE80:

https://twister6.com/2018/05/05/sennheiser-ie80s/
Great review, Thanks! I was very curious how the IE80s would compare to its predecessor...

May 22, 2018 at 3:24 AM Post #7,664 of 7,699
My feelings about the IE80 and cables.The stock cable is garbage.The plastic sheathing is too brittle and cracks around the join with the earphone units.The IE8 cable is far better,a much softer plastic and much more durable.I now have two Forza Audioworks cables.A copper and a copper silver hybrid.Both have different sound signatures as one might expect,but both make a huge difference to the sound.I really was quite shocked when I first heard the difference.They are also extremely well made,so should easily stand up to extensive mobile use.In fact,my son is using the copper one,and he's a cable destroyer! It's still going strong,testimony indeed!
Incidentally,the IE80s scale really well.I use mine at home with a Chord DAC and full size headphone amp.I like what I read about the IE80S,it sounds as if the slight "rough edges" on the IE80 have been effectively smoothed.I am intrigued by other DD iems out there,in particular the Campfire Vega.At four times the price of the Senns,would they really be so much better?

May 22, 2018 at 7:36 AM Post #7,665 of 7,699
My feelings about the IE80 and cables.The stock cable is garbage.The plastic sheathing is too brittle and cracks around the join with the earphone units.The IE8 cable is far better,a much softer plastic and much more durable.I now have two Forza Audioworks cables.A copper and a copper silver hybrid.Both have different sound signatures as one might expect,but both make a huge difference to the sound.I really was quite shocked when I first heard the difference.They are also extremely well made,so should easily stand up to extensive mobile use.In fact,my son is using the copper one,and he's a cable destroyer! It's still going strong,testimony indeed!
Incidentally,the IE80s scale really well.I use mine at home with a Chord DAC and full size headphone amp.I like what I read about the IE80S,it sounds as if the slight "rough edges" on the IE80 have been effectively smoothed.I am intrigued by other DD iems out there,in particular the Campfire Vega.At four times the price of the Senns,would they really be so much better?

You can consider IE800S as well if you cross intro that territorry.

Also, Beyerdynamic Xelento :)

https://audiophile-heaven.blogspot.ro/2017/11/Xelento-Elegance-Enthusiasm-Euphoria.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back