Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Mar 18, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #7,487 of 7,699

I listen to my IE80s through a full-size headphone amp. paired with a Chord 2Qute,as well as fancy cables,dedicated power supplies,and laptop noise purifiers.The sound is nothing less than stunning! I have two pairs of IE80s and will buy another shortly.Why oh why can't Sennheiser fix the cable problem?! Each pair has had cable problems,they split near the earphone connection.The IE8 cable doesn't have this problem,it's more supple and far less brittle.So,replace the stock cable,Forza Hybrid cable is excellent,and the potential is there to have a truly world class IEM. I'm sure a lot of "audiophiles" would be shocked by how good they can sound when sourced and powered well.

Mar 18, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #7,488 of 7,699

I listen to my IE80s through a full-size headphone amp. paired with a Chord 2Qute,as well as fancy cables,dedicated power supplies,and laptop noise purifiers.The sound is nothing less than stunning! I have two pairs of IE80s and will buy another shortly.Why oh why can't Sennheiser fix the cable problem?! Each pair has had cable problems,they split near the earphone connection.The IE8 cable doesn't have this problem,it's more supple and far less brittle.So,replace the stock cable,Forza Hybrid cable is excellent,and the potential is there to have a truly world class IEM. I'm sure a lot of "audiophiles" would be shocked by how good they can sound when sourced and powered well.

I am shocked by your statements. 

Owned and still own them for a few years now.

The transients are not that defined and the top end doesn't have enough sparkle. The bass is pretty loose and the texture of bass is not great. 

Mar 18, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #7,489 of 7,699

Love using my IE 80 with the Mojo. It sounded great on Hugo as well. Next up is Hugo 2 when it's out 
biggrin.gif

Mar 18, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #7,490 of 7,699

Well I'm sorry to shock you,I was really only meaning to be helpful.I have a pair of Forza recabled 650s,I gave them to my son.I far prefer the IE80s!! The bass doesn't sound loose to me at all,and I really wouldn't want any more sparkle.Let's keep in mind that hearing,as with many things,is totally subjective.I have a very wide selection of music,as in genres,and everything sounds seriously good.They're a really good all rounder with a fantastic soundstage,plus the stock tips give me a perfect seal.What more could I want?

Mar 18, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #7,491 of 7,699

Well I'm sorry to shock you,I was really only meaning to be helpful.I have a pair of Forza recabled 650s,I gave them to my son.I far prefer the IE80s!! The bass doesn't sound loose to me at all,and I really wouldn't want any more sparkle.Let's keep in mind that hearing,as with many things,is totally subjective.I have a very wide selection of music,as in genres,and everything sounds seriously good.They're a really good all rounder with a fantastic soundstage,plus the stock tips give me a perfect seal.What more could I want?

Well, as long as you're happy, that's all that matters 
etysmile.gif

HD650 is not necessarily better, HD600 might be but HD600 lacks bass, and seriously laks bass in direct comparison to ie80. 

With the treble spark, it is disputable actually, depends on what else you've heard to date. I would recommend giving ie800 a listen if you can, the instrument separation is a serious step up from ie80. 

This being said, ie80 are not bad per se, they are really good and I also like them, but wouldn't really consider them an end-game setup. 

Mar 18, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #7,492 of 7,699
Hi again,
Thanks for the reply.I guess I'm old school,I come from a vinyl background,many years past.I had a LP12 deck,with Naim mono blocks,etc,etc..I love the convenience of computer audio,I certainly don't miss having to line up a tone arm on one particular track,track after track.The main criticism of digital audio has been,quite rightly,the the ineptitude of the DAC section.Rob Watts,and Chord,have gone a long way to bridging this gap.At long last,I am able to rip CDs to WAV,and flick from track to track,choosing from several thousand CDs ripped to a MacBook,no digital glare and in short,a vinyl equivalent SQ.I've absolutely no doubt that I could raise my game in terms of IEMs,but that said,the IE80s sound sublime to me.I'm happy to stick and simply enjoy the music.There's always going to be Mk 2 of whichever audio component one chooses to name,plus,I'm too big for rabbit holes!! Respect!

Mar 19, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #7,493 of 7,699
ie80's over the 650s? I'd love to hear these iems when I get the chance!

Mar 28, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #7,496 of 7,699
Anyone who has an issue with midbass bloat on the IE80, should try the CX 5.00. I bought a pair recently. Very impressive iem, closest thing to a Momentum Over ear in an iem form that I've heard so far.

Bass doesn't go quite as deep and soundstage isn't as wide as the IE80.

Mar 29, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #7,497 of 7,699
Anyone who has an issue with midbass bloat on the IE80, should try the CX 5.00. I bought a pair recently. Very impressive iem, closest thing to a Momentum Over ear in an iem form that I've heard so far.

Bass doesn't go quite as deep and soundstage isn't as wide as the IE80.

My main problem with ie80 was in the treble actually. I like more sparkle. Also, I like the mids to be more detailed / vivid. Like Sennheiser's own ie800 is 
biggrin.gif

For the mid bass, you can cover the bass ports with some tape, this fixes the bload and some of the veil for ie80. 

About the person who said that you an get much better results from ie80 with better amps; 

Actually, I think that is correct. Given that the driver of ie800 is not a very light driver, it could be true that you can get extremely good results with a very good driving gear. 

Mar 29, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #7,498 of 7,699

My main problem with ie80 was in the treble actually. I like more sparkle. Also, I like the mids to be more detailed / vivid. Like Sennheiser's own ie800 is 
biggrin.gif

For the mid bass, you can cover the bass ports with some tape, this fixes the bload and some of the veil for ie80. 

About the person who said that you an get much better results from ie80 with better amps; 

Actually, I think that is correct. Given that the driver of ie800 is not a very light driver, it could be true that you can get extremely good results with a very good driving gear. 

The thing about sparkly treble is that you get listeing fatigue much much faster. With the IE 80 I can listen for over an hour and just relax, with the IE 800 after twenty, thirty minutes I want to take them out of my ear because all that sparkle gives me fatigue. That's why it's good to have multiple iems and headphones, you can mix things up :D

Also, I have been using the tape mod on and off for over a year and I found that even though the tape mod makes everything sound clearer and more mid centric, it took away a lot of the sub-bass that the IE 80 is known for.

Mar 29, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #7,499 of 7,699

The thing about sparkly treble is that you get listeing fatigue much much faster. With the IE 80 I can listen for over an hour and just relax, with the IE 800 after twenty, thirty minutes I want to take them out of my ear because all that sparkle gives me fatigue. That's why it's good to have multiple iems and headphones, you can mix things up :D

Also, I have been using the tape mod on and off for over a year and I found that even though the tape mod makes everything sound clearer and more mid centric, it took away a lot of the sub-bass that the IE 80 is known for.

Listening fatigue. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

I listen to ie800 around 6 hours on an end - probably because my listening volume is  low with ie800 as I listen in silence conditions and it won't cause listening fatigue. 

I can totally understand other people getting it. About the sub bass, ie800 has as much as I can stomach. I prefer the sub bass and bass ratios to be a bit more sanely balanced - like ie800. 

Mar 29, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #7,500 of 7,699

Actually I find the IE80 lacking exactly in the sub-bass area and that was one of the main drawbacks for me, besides the bloated mid-bass, but that was fortunately fixed by the tape mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back