Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Dec 9, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #6,901 of 7,699
So does anyone have a recommendation for a replacement cable for the ie80 that allows inline controls for the iphone?  I saw these on Amazon but there are no reviews for it.

http://www.amazon.com/Zees-Music-Sennheiser-Control-Samsung/dp/B00MVYSNHU/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1449694496&sr=1-7&keywords=SENNHEISER+ie80

I was wondering if anyone had a similar cable or a recommendation for something similar?

Dec 9, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #6,902 of 7,699
  So does anyone have a recommendation for a replacement cable for the ie80 that allows inline controls for the iphone?  I saw these on Amazon but there are no reviews for it.

http://www.amazon.com/Zees-Music-Sennheiser-Control-Samsung/dp/B00MVYSNHU/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1449694496&sr=1-7&keywords=SENNHEISER+ie80

I was wondering if anyone had a similar cable or a recommendation for something similar?

I am not sure if IE8’s cable will fit IE80. But if it does, go to this URL and search for IE8i’s accessories (note: It is IE8i and not IE8). Choose the cable with the part number ‘542182’. In case it is out-of-stock, try googling ‘Sennheiser 542182’. Quite a few websites in UK seem to have it in stock. See if any of those websites will ship to US.

http://en-us.sennheiser.com/accessories

The cable looks like this:

Dec 9, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #6,903 of 7,699

I am not sure if IE8’s cable will fit IE80. But if it does, go to this URL and search for IE8i’s accessories (note: It is IE8i and not IE8). Choose the cable with the part number ‘542182’. In case it is out-of-stock, try googling ‘Sennheiser 542182’. Quite a few websites in UK seem to have it in stock. See if any of those websites will ship to US.

http://en-us.sennheiser.com/accessories

The cable looks like this:

The IE8 cable will fit the IE80 just fine since it has the same connector. The IE80 cable is a step back in my opinion. Much prefer the original IE8 cable.

Dec 10, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #6,904 of 7,699
Does the sub-bass improve much with the tuning at max with the tape mod?

Dec 10, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #6,905 of 7,699

with something so far off from any attempt to sound neutral, it really ends up being a matter of taste. I wouldn't go so far as to call anything "improved".
it's just that up until now I wouldn't even have thought about trying the tape mod with various bass settings, thinking it didn't do anything.

at the moment it's all very new for me so I would reserve any judgment, I'm trying at about 4/5 bass setting+tape and a little EQ down at 200hz. makes the overall bass close to the max setting, but with it all a little quieter relatively to mid/treble. not a revolution ^_^.

Dec 11, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #6,907 of 7,699
I use JVC spiral dots. Works good for me.

There is also the SpinFits that some love and some hate.

Dec 11, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #6,908 of 7,699

At max bass setting: Quantity? Yes.. Quality? I'm not able to tell yet. On certain tracks I feel the quality is present (tight and punchy) but on certain tracks it sounds slightly boomy.
I found my sweet spot between 2 and 3. It's when I cross the 3rd notch, I start noticing the boom.

Dec 11, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #6,910 of 7,699
IE80 with tape mod and a nice amp is indeed a noticeable combination.
It was interesting to read these previous comments about the level of bass knob settings under tape mod.
 I use it on 20-25% of bass with tape mod, but I have to admit, I almost always turn the bass switch on on my amplifier.
Tape mod has more benefit than draw back, it is out of question.
 IE80 (with tape mod and a nice amp) indeed sounds very nice. (Have to admit, I own custom tips, so I I do not have to face the struggle of finding good isolation). If I compare IE80 to Fidelio X2 with the same player and external amp, I have to say, they almost are on the same level regarding listening experience. IE80 (With amp and custom tips) sounds very clear, tight. Great bass extension. Very good 3Dspace and clarity for an IEM. With very nice bass.
 Fidelio X2 however sounds much more natural. Space feels to be real, all instruments and voices are much more natural, There is more space. More natural, but a bit loose bass.
IE80 is more accurate, but feels more artificial. Even with a good amp.
X2 is closer to reality.
Both are very enjoyable, and good value for the price.

*I am lying. With the IE80 I do not need to switch the bass on my amp. It is sufficient without it.

Also have to admit, IE80 sounds so artificial after a while, that I want my X2 back. even though the bass is slightly looser.
 Naturalness is simply hard to beat. And an IEM will never have a chance compared to an opened back full size hp.
Very nice try though, Ie80, have to admit.

(Ok, I have to admit, nothing comes close to a nice source+amp+opened hp combo, except speakers. But that doesn't count as they are at least 10x more expensive,)

Dec 11, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #6,911 of 7,699
  IE80 with tape mod and a nice amp is indeed a noticeable combination.

You don't need any amp at all, most amps just ruin the sound since IE80 are supremely sensitive earphones of low impedance that most amp don't pair well with. Even if they pair when it comes to the impedance IE80 just requires very low gain. At least no amp I've tried made any good difference, including all offerings from FiiO. Sounded the same or worse then from the iPhone 6, Nexus 5, FiiO X3 (I gen). 

Dec 12, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #6,913 of 7,699
and...... we're back to the amp thing ^_^.

now I think bestula is making a good point about headphone vs in ear.  finding real cool fun bass withing IEMs isn't as easy as it seems and probably the reason why the IE80 is still even mentioned nowadays. it was never my main IEM, but I've had it for a few years now and I still have a blast with some songs from time to time thinking "I've got to try that with the IE80!!!!!". it's a fun IEM.

but there are plenty of headphones with convincing bass. and plenty of headphones and IEMs with a much much closer to neutral signature. of course from then, even bad speakers can feel even more natural and good. really nothing we can do about that. for IEMs, the main ingredient of good bass presence is louder bass. that does not tic for everybody as it tends to mask some of the frequencies just above at the same time. no magic recipe I'm afraid. we're in the give and take area.
I could never stand headphones to go for a walk(they would either hurt or be to lose for me). so it made my option list much shorter ^_^.

Dec 12, 2015 at 2:30 AM Post #6,914 of 7,699
So my headphones came in and I can see that rainbow lighting sticker which reveals a secret number in the proper light, and so I think the headphones are real.

I use a qr scanner and Sennheiser's site makes me enter the label ID regardless, and once I submit it, it comes back with authentication failed. I don't know what to think now.

I filled out the corresponding form which asks me for the serial number and where and when I bought the item so Sennheiser can contact me. I guess I'm not opening the headphones until I get a confirmation. =(.

Does anyone know how long they take to contact a customer? Anything I can do to expedite it? Any way that sennheiser's authentication page isn't working properly? I'm not sure what to think now...

Dec 12, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #6,915 of 7,699
Yes you fill in the ID on the website. Then it should show you a code. That code should be the code you see on the shiny label.

When I got my IE80 this anti-counterfeit program wasn't fully implemented yet. So my IE80 (ordered from a authorized online dealer) came without. But my newly acquired Sennheiser Momentum Wireless does have it on the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back