Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Sep 6, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #6,692 of 7,699
What would you people consider as an upgrade from IE80? I'm looking for something very similar but with a bit better mid bass behavior, with less interference with mid range, may even have more sub bass, but cleaner mid bass. For now I have narrowed down to these possibilities:

-Earsonics Velvet 
-Phonak Audeo PFE232
-Fischer Amps FA-4 E XB
-Aurisonics ASG-2.5
-InEar StageDriver3

but I'd like to hear opinions of people who have heard or own IE80, and even tho this is not directly an impression of IE80 as thread says I think it may be valuable info for all the people that love IE80 and want something similar but improved. 

Sep 6, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #6,693 of 7,699
  What would you people consider as an upgrade from IE80? I'm looking for something very similar but with a bit better mid bass behavior, with less interference with mid range, may even have more sub bass, but cleaner mid bass. For now I have narrowed down to these possibilities:

-Earsonics Velvet 
-Phonak Audeo PFE232
-Fischer Amps FA-4 E XB
-Aurisonics ASG-2.5
-InEar StageDriver3

but I'd like to hear opinions of people who have heard or own IE80, and even tho this is not directly an impression of IE80 as thread says I think it may be valuable info for all the people that love IE80 and want something similar but improved. 

I have the same question 
biggrin.gif
 altough I think the IE80 is hard to beat, at any price, Phonak doesn´t make in ears anymore, I thought? I am happy with the IE80, but beside the bass and 3D sound that  I want to keep, I like the clarirty and natural sound of the Grado GR10, so a combination of both would be great, From what you describe in your wishes the Stagediver 2 would be q better option than the 3

Sep 6, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #6,694 of 7,699
^ Quite a coincidence that you'd ask this just now. I've had my IE8 since 2008 and only a few weeks ago came across IEMs that I'd consider an upgrade in the same vein. Here's a PM I sent to friends about the new Flare Audio R2A and R2PRO:

To me, it's the combination of laid-back signature, high resolution, black background and huge soundstage that makes them special. These, finally, are what I had hoped for the IE800: worthy successors to the IE8/80, with similar out-of-head staging and laid-back signature, but much less warm and veiled and with much higher resolution / separation.

Take that recommendation with a grain of salt though, there are some caveats / intricacies with these IEMs that aren't for the faint of heart.

Sep 6, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #6,695 of 7,699
  I've had my IE8 since 2008 and only a few weeks ago came across IEMs that I'd consider an upgrade the new Flare Audio R2A and R2PRO

That form of earphone, as well as GR10 is unacceptable for me :/ Must have removable cable (not because of "sound improvements" but durability, if cable dies, which is the first thing that die with earphones, can get new one cheap) and cable over the ear design, to reduce cable noise and to last long, since the stress on critical point of break where cable connects to earphone is relieved by wearing cable over the ear. 

Too bad if it's really a worthy upgrade from IE80 soundwise... Thanks for suggesting tho! Might be great info for other people that don't care for physical form like me... R2A also looks great!

Phonak doesn´t make in ears anymore, I thought?

Yeah, but they are still around to find, tho it's pretty rare and can be expensive, also second hand if in good contition might be an option... I've heard from some people that it may be considered an upgrade from IE80, tho they are not that similar, still haven't heard them so I was hoping to hear some opinions from people with IE8 / IE80.

If anyone have heard any of these:
-Earsonics Velvet 
-Phonak Audeo PFE232
-Fischer Amps FA-4 E XB
-Aurisonics ASG-2.5
-InEar StageDriver3

any brief comparison with IE80 would be very much appreciated, also which one is most similar but could be considered as an upgrade, especially in mid bass section, if any at all? 

Sep 7, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #6,696 of 7,699
Hello, 
I'd like to find new tips for my IE80
According to Comply's website i ordered a pack of Comply T-500 but they don't fit with the IE80
Which tips should i buy (i'd like it to be Comply's because they are [size=20.007px]available [/size]on amazon france) ?
Thx

Sep 7, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #6,697 of 7,699
  That form of earphone, as well as GR10 is unacceptable for me :/ Must have removable cable (not because of "sound improvements" but durability, if cable dies, which is the first thing that die with earphones, can get new one cheap) and cable over the ear design, to reduce cable noise and to last long, since the stress on critical point of break where cable connects to earphone is relieved by wearing cable over the ear. 

Too bad if it's really a worthy upgrade from IE80 soundwise... Thanks for suggesting tho! Might be great info for other people that don't care for physical form like me... R2A also looks great!

Each to their own, but these are dead easy to wear over the ear. In fact, I wear all my IEMs over-ears and wouldn't buy any that can only be worn downwards.

As for the cable, I've looked up the IE80 replacement and it costs €35 from Sennheiser shop. For the Flare IEMs, you can get a complete replacement kit including new drivers for £35.

Sep 7, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #6,698 of 7,699
Hello, 
According to Comply's website i ordered a pack of Comply T-500 but they don't fit with the IE80
Which tips should i buy (i'd like it to be Comply's because they are [size=20.007px]available 
[/size]

on amazon france) ?
Thx
They do fit but not easy, just as the 200 do, I use again the hybrid stock tips who were included, not the best hold but the sound is better

Sep 7, 2015 at 2:40 AM Post #6,699 of 7,699
  Hello, 
Which tips should i buy (i'd like it to be Comply's because they are [size=20.007px]available [/size]on amazon france) ?
Thx

Are you looking for just foam tips? If not, you could look into these two silicone tips. These are available on Amazon.

1. JVC Spiral Dots 
2. Spinfit Tips CP100 

Sep 7, 2015 at 4:31 AM Post #6,700 of 7,699
I've put on the Spinfit CP100 tips from Jaben and they have really improved the sound from the Auvios I was using. I suspect that the JVC Spiral Dots (these are coming soon) with their wider bore might be even better.

I've used Complys on the IE80s and while they sealed well they muffled the sound and restricted the great soundstage that these Senn iems have. Mobeast foamies were better but the silicones do a superior job. You don't want a complete seal on the IE80s anyway, just a good one!

Sep 9, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #6,701 of 7,699
I ended up buying ML Spiral Dots and prefer those to the L. I think they're the perfect tips for the IE80.

I had Compys, but they're too muffling, and wear out in 3 weeks. I just can't understand how people seriously use SpinFits, as the bore is 50% narrower than the driver. And yes, I have the Jaben ones. They fit horribly for me too, but maybe that's just me.

Anyway, I'll be selling my IE80s soon. They're the best earbud I've ever owned, but I've recently pulled the trigger on a set of IE800s that I got for an amazing price off of Aliexpress... just kidding, Amazon Warehouse. That's where I got my IE80s.

Sep 9, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #6,702 of 7,699
  I just can't understand how people seriously use SpinFits, as the bore is 50% narrower than the driver. And yes, I have the Jaben ones. They fit horribly for me too, but maybe that's just me.

Did you get the right bore size? Apparently they have multiple sizes and CP100 is the one that fits the IE80s. I am planning on trying the Spin-Fits just to see if it helps in anyway because the Spiral-Dots did offer a few benefits. But if you bought the CP100 and the bore is still small, then I wouldn't bother getting these.

Sep 9, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #6,703 of 7,699

Did you get the right bore size? Apparently they have multiple sizes and CP100 is the one that fits the IE80s. I am planning on trying the Spin-Fits just to see if it helps in anyway because the Spiral-Dots did offer a few benefits. But if you bought the CP100 and the bore is still small, then I wouldn't bother getting these.

Of course - they make two sizes. One "regular", and one super-narrow for Klipsch and the like. I got the one that says "IE80" on the package. They fit about as well as Sony Hybrids.

Sep 9, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #6,704 of 7,699

Of course - they make two sizes. One "regular", and one super-narrow for Klipsch and the like. I got the one that says "IE80" on the package. They fit about as well as Sony Hybrids.

Won't be buying these in that case. Thanks for letting me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back