Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Aug 24, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #6,661 of 7,699
  Received the SpinFit tips and they're a terrible, terrible fit for the IE80. I'm livid, actually. Putting them on you can see that the canal is so narrow, about 25% of the driver remains uncovered. You can look at it and see how tightly it's squeezing. These fit my Sony MDR-EX650s much better. For reference, the Sony's require 200 series Comply, while the IE80s require 500 series.

There's just no way that ear tips should fit both earbuds. It's just dishonest. Not only that, I don't think they actually fit in my ears well. Tremendous waste of time and money.

I've ordered a set of ML Spiral Dots, based on how awesome the L ones sounded (just a little too big).

Sounds like you might have the Japanese Spinfits as I struggled to get them on as well. However, I put the Jaben's on my IE80 and didn't have any problems though the narrowness of the canal does worry me a bit. The sound was a big steps up from the Auvios I have been using. That said, I am really looking forward to what the JVC SDs can do for both my IEMs. (I also have the Flare R2As).

Aug 24, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #6,662 of 7,699

Actually, as the person I ordered mine from on eBay (a HeadFi member I believe) is away until Sept 2nd, if you receive yours before me could you please post your experience with the sizing. I am switching between the small and medium stock tips trying to get the right fit so I ordered the medium/small. I am used to deeper insertion iems and the IE80 are very sensitive to getting them to sit in the right place to get the right balance of sound.

I ordered the size M on Amazon and should be arriving in a couple of days. Will let you know after I try them on.

I agree about the insertion. I have the Shure SE215s. It's tube (the tube on which the eartips are placed) is slim that allows for a deeper insertion, better seal and also better comfort because the tips have enough room to give a cushiony feel. The tube on the IE80s is pretty fat and short and the fit is entirely different. I kinda like the shallow fit of the IE80's but the stock tips are flimsy and not comfortable at all. Hoping that Spirals will fix all these issues. 

Has the SQ and soundstage of your IE80 improved over usage and time? Mine arrived 2 days back and I feel it requires quite a bit of burning-in to go through. 

Aug 24, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #6,663 of 7,699
Hey just bought the IE80s and I have two quick questions. 

1) When I plug the headphones into my laptop/phone I hear the lightest of white noise or static in the background when no music is playing. I returned them at amazon and got replacements which have the same issue. Just wondering if that is normal or not? 

2) The tips are awful and won't stay put in my ear ><. Right one is always falling out. Wonder if my ears are shaped different lol. Anyways what are some tip recommendations?  I skimmed through the thread and saw a few recommendations and just wanted to know what the general consensus was on some good replacements. 

Would it be these, the spiral dots?

Thanks for any help! 

Aug 24, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #6,664 of 7,699

1) When I plug the headphones into my laptop/phone I hear the lightest of white noise or static in the background when no music is playing. I returned them at amazon and got replacements which have the same issue. Just wondering if that is normal or not? 

Try plugging it into a few more sources to confirm if it is a problem with the IEMs or your Laptop/Phones. In case it is your IEM, did you verify if it is an authentic pair? The box has a holographic sticker with a code that you can verify here: http://qr-sennheiser.com/index.php?id=5&L=1&id=5

I bought mine from BHPhotoVideo.com. Although Amazon is an authorized dealer of Sennheiser, I've read that it's inventory runs a risk of getting mixed up with fake products from other sellers.

2) The tips are awful and won't stay put in my ear ><. Right one is always falling out. Wonder if my ears are shaped different lol. Anyways what are some tip recommendations?  I skimmed through the thread and saw a few recommendations and just wanted to know what the general consensus was on some good replacements. 

Thanks for any help! 

Mine don't fall, yet the fit is not that great. Yes, those are the Spirals. Make sure you order your right size. The link you provided is size 'L'. 

Aug 24, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #6,665 of 7,699

Thanks for any help! 

the IE80 are super sensitive IEMs, and it's very normal for you to get some background noise out of most sources in fact. no need to worry about it being damaged or fake, they're just very sensitive and revealing of source's problems.
the possible solutions go from getting an audio player that is known to have little hiss.

to use an external amp or DAC/amp also known to have little hiss). people say that the topping NX1 has a clean background, I haven't heard it myself, so maybe if some IE80 users have tried it and can confirm or inform? but if it's true, then for the price it's a very good solution to your problem.

and the cheaper smaller solution only for the IE80 because it has flat impedance response, get a resistor adapter plug of about 100ohm. like http://www.ebay.fr/itm/ETYMOTIC-ER4P-TO-ER4S-RESISTOR-ADAPTOR-3-5MM-PLUG-/291329605627?hash=item43d498fffb
if you do, remember to tell him what resistance value you want.
but it's pretty easy to damage a cellphone plug with that as you get a long part to use as leverage against the female plug of the phone(sitting on it would be a very bad idea for example).

about the tips, yeah they all suck pretty bad sadly. I go with comply foam because I'm never well with silicone, but there are several suggestions on this very topic.

Aug 24, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #6,666 of 7,699

the IE80 are super sensitive IEMs, and it's very normal for you to get some background noise out of most sources in fact. no need to worry about it being damaged or fake, they're just very sensitive and revealing of source's problems.
the possible solutions go from getting an audio player that is known to have little hiss.

to use an external amp or DAC/amp also known to have little hiss). people say that the topping NX1 has a clean background, I haven't heard it myself, so maybe if some IE80 users have tried it and can confirm or inform? but if it's true, then for the price it's a very good solution to your problem.

and the cheaper smaller solution only for the IE80 because it has flat impedance response, get a resistor adapter plug of about 100ohm. like http://www.ebay.fr/itm/ETYMOTIC-ER4P-TO-ER4S-RESISTOR-ADAPTOR-3-5MM-PLUG-/291329605627?hash=item43d498fffb
if you do, remember to tell him what resistance value you want.
but it's pretty easy to damage a cellphone plug with that as you get a long part to use as leverage against the female plug of the phone(sitting on it would be a very bad idea for example).

about the tips, yeah they all suck pretty bad sadly. I go with comply foam because I'm never well with silicone, but there are several suggestions on this very topic.

Thanks for your input. 

@basketcase14240
Didn't mean to question the authenticity of your IEMs. Just tried to offer help based on my knowledge. 

Thanks.

Aug 24, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #6,667 of 7,699

Thanks for your input. 

@basketcase14240
Didn't mean to question the authenticity of your IEMs. Just tried to offer help based on my knowledge. 

Thanks.

That's fine better safe then sorry. Just checked and seems they are legit. So I guess I will go with those spirals...prob stick with medium to be safe. Glad to hear that noise is normal..I will try it out on other sources and see what happens. Most likely I will get the resistance plug. Seems like a cheap solution. Thanks for the help ! :D

Aug 26, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #6,668 of 7,699
When ordering the Spiral Dot tips, are the sizes the same as the IE80 tips sizes, or is it better to go up or down a size ie. MS, ML?

So I guess I will go with those spirals...prob stick with medium to be safe. 

Here is how JVC Spiral Dots Tips compare to the IE80 Stock Tips. I use size M from the stock tips and bought the Spirals in M as well. See pics below for reference. 

- Spirals are slightly shorter than the stock tips (fact)

- The outer diameter and the bore diameter are the same(fact)

- Spirals sit closer to the tip of the IEM and has more silicone extending beyond the tip of the IEM (fact)

- Better Insertion and position in the ear (subjective and depends on the individual)

- Slight Improvement in Isolation (subjective)

- Noticeable Improvement in Comfort (subjective)

- Slight Improvement in Soundstage (subjective)

- Maybe a Marginal Improvement in Sound Quality (subjective)

*However you must know that I used Rockboxed Sansa Clip as the source. The difference in sound characteristics may be more pronounced if played from better sources.

**Read the next post for an updated review. Spoiler: It's good news!**

Although the stock tips may appear big and can give an idea that it would offer more comfort than the other, I actually experienced the opposite.

Hope this helps!

Aug 27, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #6,669 of 7,699

Here is how JVC Spiral Dots Tips compare to the IE80 Stock Tips. I use size M from the stock tips and bought the Spirals in M as well. See pics below for reference. 

- Spirals are slightly shorter than the stock tips (fact)

- The outer diameter and the bore diameter are the same(fact)

- Spirals sit closer to the tip of the IEM and has more silicone extending beyond the tip of the IEM (fact)

- Better Insertion and position in the ear (subjective and depends on the individual)

- Slight Improvement in Isolation (subjective)

- Noticeable Improvement in Comfort (subjective)

- Slight Improvement in Soundstage (subjective)

- Maybe a Marginal Improvement in Sound Quality (subjective)

Hope this helps!

Update to my review on the Spirals.

I guess I must have been critical during the initial listening, based on which my review was written. Because after listening for a while, my perceptions have changed. As I continued to listen, I realized the sound had actually become better. The sound had more air, soundstage had opened up a bit and I was hearing instruments and notes that I'm sure I did not hear with the stock tips. The IE80 now sounds more detailed and seems to have more clarity. It definitely put a smile on my face.

Thanks,

Hope this helps!

Aug 27, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #6,670 of 7,699

The sound had more air, soundstage had opened up a bit and I was hearing instruments and notes that I'm sure I did not hear with the stock tips. The IE80 now sounds more detailed and seems to have more clarity.

Is this a joke? Sarcastic? 

EDIT: It's a serious question, I'm not flaming, just honestly curious. I am sorry in advance if it looked that way

Aug 27, 2015 at 7:45 AM Post #6,671 of 7,699

The sound had more air, soundstage had opened up a bit and I was hearing instruments and notes that I'm sure I did not hear with the stock tips. The IE80 now sounds more detailed and seems to have more clarity.

Is this a joke? Sarcastic? 

EDIT: It's a serious question, I'm not flaming, just honestly curious. I am sorry in advance if it looked that way

it's the tips burning up ^_^.
seriously this is why I don't make feedback when I just got a new toy. even if nothing else changes, our vision of it will and that's all it takes to be wrong.

Aug 27, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #6,672 of 7,699

seriously this is why I don't make feedback when I just got a new toy. even if nothing else changes, our vision of it will and that's all it takes to be wrong.

Well yeah, people seem to say completely opposite stuff about those tips. First someone says they isolate better which means that perception of soundstage will be smaller and clarity as well due to more mid bass bloat that veils rest of the frequency range, especially mids (not exactly a matter of opinion)... so they either isolate better or clarity and soundstage is improved (again, due to less isolation -> less bass -> cleaner mids, and again, not exactly a matter of opinion).
About hearing instruments that never heard before with stock tips... this part of the sentence made me think it's a joke, then I edited comment not to insult someone by mistake, really wasn't sure.

Now I don't know what to think about those tips... I was about to search for some myself, other than foam tips since they isolate too much and then sound becomes too boomy and veiled because of bass (due to isolation there is no "bass leakage" so it affects sound in a way).

Do they isolate better or they improve perception of soundstage and clarity? They aren't magical to do both, no electronics inside, just a piece of silicone... or am I wrong?

Aug 27, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #6,673 of 7,699
  Well yeah, people seem to say completely opposite stuff about those tips. First someone says they isolate better which means that perception of soundstage will be smaller and clarity as well due to more mid bass bloat that veils rest of the frequency range, especially mids (not exactly a matter of opinion)... so they either isolate better or clarity and soundstage is improved (again, due to less isolation -> less bass -> cleaner mids, and again, not exactly a matter of opinion).
About hearing instruments that never heard before with stock tips... this part of the sentence made me think it's a joke, then I edited comment not to insult someone by mistake, really wasn't sure.

Now I don't know what to think about those tips... I was about to search for some myself, other than foam tips since they isolate too much and then sound becomes too boomy and veiled because of bass (due to isolation there is no "bass leakage" so it affects sound in a way).

Do they isolate better or they improve perception of soundstage and clarity? They aren't magical to do both, no electronics inside, just a piece of silicone... or am I wrong?

You can use your existing tips and control "bass leakage" with this mod: http://www.head-fi.org/t/375547/sennheiser-ie8-impressions-thread/8025#post_11236833

Aug 27, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #6,674 of 7,699

we have different ears, different ways to insert the IEM, and we all compare the the bad experience we had before with some other tip not sealing well or popping out on it's own, etc. maybe the improvement is great for a guy because of how bad the seal was before with some other tip? maybe he's full of crap and just tries to look good on the internet by exaggerating everything? who can really tell?
for all those reasons I'm not surprised to read 10 different opinions about the same tip. what annoys me is to read opinions from people who didn't have time to make up their own mind. this may look like I'm blaming @vishnusiddharth but in fact I kind of like him because he's able to come back on his own judgment and admit it to us. that's something sadly rare in those water, most people would rather see the world burn before they admit they made a mistake. so even if he's wrong about something, he's trying to be honest and I really can't dislike someone like that ^_^.

now vishnu, wait a few days until you're sure you've made up your mind, and tell us all about those tips.
wink_face.gif

Aug 27, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #6,675 of 7,699

we have different ears, different ways to insert the IEM, and we all compare the the bad experience we had before with some other tip not sealing well or popping out on it's own, etc.

I never questioned that, but the same person says they isolate better and they have improvement in soundstage and clarity, that is not possible without it being a matter of opinion. Doesn't matter how different ears someone has (doesn't have anything to do with ears actually).

If it seals better (which is possible of course, it's up to tips to seal the ear canal) bass leaks less, so the sound becomes even boomier (than already bassy and veiled IE80) which affects clarity in negative way with bass covering mid range, leaking into it, whatever you wanna call it. 
Weaker the isolation weaker the bass will be, which will lead to better clarity and soundstage, well perception of it at least.

It's like I said I bought new engine for car, it's faster but it's slower. Can't be like that, it's either faster (less isolation -> less bass -> better clarity) or it's slower (more isolation -> more bass -> muddied mids -> less clarity). 

All of this even makes less sense to me than magic cables and Sony's audiophile MicroSD card... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back