Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Jul 10, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #6,571 of 7,699
After years of trying different IEM's and CIEM's, with fit issues and endless bloody hassle, I'm back on the '8's. Supplied tips, straight out of my iPhone.
What a relief. Maybe sometimes your headphones choose you! :)

Jul 10, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #6,572 of 7,699
After years of trying different IEM's and CIEM's, with fit issues and endless bloody hassle, I'm back on the '8's. Supplied tips, straight out of my iPhone.
What a relief. Maybe sometimes your headphones choose you! :)

Simplicity is sometimes the answer. No need to get caught up in the latest and greatest. I still use 8's/80's way more than my other headphones and iems.

Jul 11, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #6,573 of 7,699
Those of you using JVC Spiral Dots, do you find they give you a better fit? Stay in easier? I'm very happy with my IE8s, but somedays they just don't want to stay in my ears properly.

How do the sizes match up? I either use the small or medium Sennheiser tips, but I'm wondering if I should spring for a pair of MS spirals.

Jul 11, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #6,574 of 7,699
Those of you using JVC Spiral Dots, do you find they give you a better fit? Stay in easier? I'm very happy with my IE8s, but somedays they just don't want to stay in my ears properly.

How do the sizes match up? I either use the small or medium Sennheiser tips, but I'm wondering if I should spring for a pair of MS spirals.

They definitely fit much more securely than the stock tips for me. The original tips would constantly wiggle themselves out of my ear. I ordered Medium size and they seem about the same size as the stock silicone.

Jul 11, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #6,575 of 7,699

I've been using JVC SD for a while, and they're definitely superior to most other eartips out there. The material is a bit better than others, and there is definitely a feel of quality with it's thicker cushions. The biggest difference is the texturing of the silicone, which is rougher to improve grip inside the ear canal. So it's pretty unfortunate that you find them difficult to keep in your ears cause they're among the best at it. 

BUT, fret not. Not long ago I too ended up biting the SPINFIT bullet and I can officially confirm that they do fit better than any other tip I've used to date. But they don't sound vastly better than most of the good tips. The most amazing in terms of sound transformation has been the JVC SD in my opinion. I will have to try them with my Fidue to see how much of a difference they make in changing the sound. 

Jul 12, 2015 at 3:32 AM Post #6,576 of 7,699
  I've been using JVC SD for a while, and they're definitely superior to most other eartips out there. The material is a bit better than others, and there is definitely a feel of quality with it's thicker cushions. The biggest difference is the texturing of the silicone, which is rougher to improve grip inside the ear canal. So it's pretty unfortunate that you find them difficult to keep in your ears cause they're among the best at it. 

BUT, fret not. Not long ago I too ended up biting the SPINFIT bullet and I can officially confirm that they do fit better than any other tip I've used to date. But they don't sound vastly better than most of the good tips. The most amazing in terms of sound transformation has been the JVC SD in my opinion. I will have to try them with my Fidue to see how much of a difference they make in changing the sound. 

Ah, probably should have made it clearer, it's the Sennheiser tips that have been causing problems, I've just ordered some MS Spiral Dots from eBay (for far too much money...), we'll see how they go. Thanks to josee14 too.

Jul 13, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #6,578 of 7,699
  Yes, it is the same one. Other than the sound. My equally favorite part about the cable is the fact that there are minimal microphonics, and also the fact that it doesn't tangle (thus detangles) very very easily. My #1 portable IEM now due to the cable. 

Thanks, Eugguy. Got it. Really better than the stock cable. Improve the clarity, neutralize it! Thanks!

Jul 13, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #6,580 of 7,699
  in what sense improved?

Ie80 have a very smooth, sometimes too quiet treble. 

I'm using IE60 but I've noticed that they are a little weak in high frequencies. Sometimes the treble is buried and not audible enough. On the other hand, the IE80's have a wider frequency response (10-20,000 Hz) in coparison to IE60's (10-18,000 Hz) and therefore should be able to produce sharper and crispier tremble, that's why I'm asking.

Jul 13, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #6,581 of 7,699
  in what sense improved?

Ie80 have a very smooth, sometimes too quiet treble. 

It doesn't, it has slightly V shaped sound with a bit emphasized treble, not much but it's never too quiet and it's not so smooth at all, let alone very smooth, at least not mine that are genuine 100%. Highs are not piercing and unbearable but they are far from laid back smooth quiet, light year away from that.
Maybe there were different versions of IE80? (I know there is some Asia version and US version...) since what you said is pretty opposite from my experience with earphones and my IE80 that I use every day for 2 years now

EDIT: Just read several reviews... everyone says highs are bit emphasized and high, few even said they are too harsh tho I don't think so... not sibilant but for sure a bit emphasized, especially comparing to mids. Nowhere near smooth or quiet, at all.

Jul 13, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #6,582 of 7,699
  It doesn't, it has slightly V shaped sound with a bit emphasized treble, not much but it's never too quiet and it's not so smooth at all, let alone very smooth, at least not mine that are genuine 100%. Highs are not piercing and unbearable but they are far from laid back smooth quiet, light year away from that.
Maybe there were different versions of IE80? (I know there is some Asia version and US version...) since what you said is pretty opposite from my experience with earphones and my IE80 that I use every day for 2 years now

EDIT: Just read several reviews... everyone says highs are bit emphasized and high, few even said they are too harsh tho I don't think so... not sibilant but for sure a bit emphasized, especially comparing to mids. Nowhere near smooth or quiet, at all.

Highs are not recessed, but nor enough for some people, like me
biggrin.gif
. Call me the wizard, who adds treble to HD800 and IE800, so no chance. 

Also, Treble on ie80 is very refined, and compared to mids, it is a little more. But I think that compared to ie60 it might be the same quantity.

Jul 13, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #6,583 of 7,699

I'm using IE60 but I've noticed that they are a little weak in high frequencies. Sometimes the treble is buried and not audible enough. On the other hand, the IE80's have a wider frequency response (10-20,000 Hz) in coparison to IE60's (10-18,000 Hz) and therefore should be able to produce sharper and crispier tremble, that's why I'm asking.

I think that ie80 will have more treble, but not by a large margin. Compared to everything I owned up to this point, the treble is very refined, never sibilant nor harsh, and never too much, but for my own tastes, it is not enough. 

I really like the Sennheiser top tier IEM, ie800, which has enough treble for me, I love hearing every detail in the treble, and hearing it loud.

Comparing, ie80 can be compared treble wise to hd650. 

It is sure to delight compared to ie60 in all aspects, but my experience with ie60 was not a very lengthy one.

On second thought, ie80 has more soundstage than ie60, and is more refined overall, but the experiences are different, and making a choice is not so easy, as they are very different. Treble wise, I think that it is the same, ar around the same.

Jul 25, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #6,585 of 7,699
Lost most of the sound in my right earpiece so as a last resort I've soaked them in hydrogen peroxide. I can't believe how much crap has come out of this earpiece through the metal grille. All I have to now is see if this has worked. Anyone else tried this method?

I've never done it myself, but have recommended it to people who had the same issue as you. They never seem to come back to say if it has worked or not so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Would definitely like to know if it works out for you though. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back