Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Jul 26, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #6,587 of 7,699

I've never done it myself, but have recommended it to people who had the same issue as you. They never seem to come back to say if it has worked or not so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Would definitely like to know if it works out for you though. 

Could you give some more detail on that? You "sink" the nozzle of earphone into hydrogen and that's it? I was afraid it can somehow damage the driver (not sure how at all, I'm not into that chemical stuff :D) I'd really want somehow to clean it but no idea how.. And can that metal grill on the top of the nozzle be removed somehow?

Jul 26, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #6,588 of 7,699
  Could you give some more detail on that? You "sink" the nozzle of earphone into hydrogen and that's it? I was afraid it can somehow damage the driver (not sure how at all, I'm not into that chemical stuff :D) I'd really want somehow to clean it but no idea how.. And can that metal grill on the top of the nozzle be removed somehow?

Again, I haven't done this before, but this is what I would do.

Get bowl/dish/something with a flat bottom. Put ~2mm of hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) and put the nozzle straight down on the bottom of whatever bowl/dish is being used. Only the grill has to be in the H2O2, not the whole nozzle. And don't worry about damaging the driver as the driver is inside the larger part of the earpiece. Just always keep the nozzle facing downwards. Anyways, keep the nozzle in the H2O2 for a few minutes then rinse it with water (you can use a similar bowl/dish but with a few mm of water instead). Then put it back in the H2O2 for a few minutes again and rinse. Keep doing that a few times to get it fully clean. You'll then want to let it dry for a little while, I'd give it 1-2 days.

Jul 26, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #6,589 of 7,699

Again, I haven't done this before, but this is what I would do.

Get bowl/dish/something with a flat bottom. Put ~2mm of hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) and put the nozzle straight down on the bottom of whatever bowl/dish is being used. Only the grill has to be in the H2O2, not the whole nozzle. And don't worry about damaging the driver as the driver is inside the larger part of the earpiece. Just always keep the nozzle facing downwards. Anyways, keep the nozzle in the H2O2 for a few minutes then rinse it with water (you can use a similar bowl/dish but with a few mm of water instead). Then put it back in the H2O2 for a few minutes again and rinse. Keep doing that a few times to get it fully clean. You'll then want to let it dry for a little while, I'd give it 1-2 days.

Sounds correct but I would immediately put the nozzle face down on a pile of paper towels or similar to 'suck' the moisture out of the screen the same way it went in. This will insure the 'ear goo' also goes out instead of re-drying on the screen. I might also suggest using rubbing alcohol (70%) instead of hydrogen peroxide....the problem I see with HP is the bubbling/foaming action might actually force the ear goo up into the driver instead of dissolving it and letting it flow out the way it went in through the screen.

Jul 26, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #6,590 of 7,699

Sounds correct but I would immediately put the nozzle face down on a pile of paper towels or similar to 'suck' the moisture out of the screen the same way it went in. This will insure the 'ear goo' also goes out instead of re-drying on the screen. I might also suggest using rubbing alcohol (70%) instead of hydrogen peroxide....the problem I see with HP is the bubbling/foaming action might actually force the ear goo up into the driver instead of dissolving it and letting it flow out the way it went in through the screen.

I was worried about that moisture... I wouldn't wanna play with that and ruin my earphones, it's not a cheap toy for me.. That's why I'm searching for someone who has actually done this 

Jul 26, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #6,591 of 7,699

I was worried about that moisture... I wouldn't wanna play with that and ruin my earphones, it's not a cheap toy for me.. That's why I'm searching for someone who has actually done this 

I did exactly what I said....many times....with both IE8's & 80's....never had a problem, but I made sure I never got any more of the nozzle 'wet' than just the area of the screen... always keep the earpiece nozzle-side-down so no liquid went into the driver area, and then immediately blotted the liquid up as described above....never had a problem...

Jul 26, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #6,592 of 7,699
I'm drying mine out at the moment.

What I did was filled the cap off the H2O2 bottlewith HP and placed the nozzle diredctly into that. It won't go down far enough to reach the drivers. I wiped the metal grille face downwards and now its hanging off the back of a chair. If I get time tonight I'll check to see if it has worked.

NB I threw away what might have been a perfectly good pair of IE8s that had the same issue. My right ear develops a lot of wax and both for the IE8 and the IE80 I've lost most of the sound in the right earpiece.

Jul 27, 2015 at 5:06 AM Post #6,594 of 7,699
It works!

Which means I threw away a perfectly good pair of IE8s.

What stood out was the amount of gunk that came out of the right earpiece compared to the left one (read my previous post).

I use food grade H2O2 which I also use help clean my ear canals.

I'm hearing again how good the IE80s are - that width of soundstage!!!

Jul 27, 2015 at 5:58 AM Post #6,595 of 7,699
Just chiming in to say, Comply comfort is really nice. I am really impressed by the isolation and comfort. Its a replacement which turned out to be a nice upgreade. 
I do have a question thou. I like to use my IE80 without operating the phone when on the go.  I am having trouble finding cable with IOS controls in EU. Do you guys know a good source? Does not have to be the orginal as long as it is a good one.  

Jul 27, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #6,597 of 7,699
  So guys. How do you clean your IE80 in ears?

I have no idea, as I'm still new to in ears^^.

Read much....like posts 6588, 6589, & 6592 above?  Scheesh....
rolleyes.gif

Jul 27, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #6,598 of 7,699
  Just chiming in to say, Comply comfort is really nice. I am really impressed by the isolation and comfort. Its a replacement which turned out to be a nice upgreade. 
I do have a question thou. I like to use my IE80 without operating the phone when on the go.  I am having trouble finding cable with IOS controls in EU. Do you guys know a good source? Does not have to be the orginal as long as it is a good one.  

Hifi Headphones and Custom Cable both have the original Sennheiser IE8i replacement cable that has iOS controls on it. It's not as flexible as the original cable but it works with iOS. Retail price is £30.

Jul 28, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #6,599 of 7,699

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely keep that in mind if I need to do some cleaning one day :p

It works!

Which means I threw away a perfectly good pair of IE8s.

What stood out was the amount of gunk that came out of the right earpiece compared to the left one (read my previous post).

I use food grade H2O2 which I also use help clean my ear canals.

I'm hearing again how good the IE80s are - that width of soundstage!!!

Awesome! Glad to hear you got it cleaned and everything is working great again :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back