Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Nov 16, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #5,764 of 7,699
I took my IE8 on a trip yesterday. I honestly don't use my IE8 that often, and have never used it before on my iBasso DX90. I was blown away by how great the IE8 is. The thing is, this has made me want an IE80 more, not less. I would happily order it from amazon.de, but does anyone know if they'd ship internationally? 

Nov 16, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #5,765 of 7,699
  I honestly don't use my IE8 that often, and have never used it before on my iBasso DX90. I was blown away by how great the IE8 is. The thing is, this has made me want an IE80 more, not less

If you haven't heard IE80 before, and you are not 100% sure you want them I wouldn't recommend getting it if you have IE8 already, unless the money is no big deal!

Nov 22, 2014 at 5:02 AM Post #5,767 of 7,699
AFAIK, the IE80 has less of a mid-bass hump.

Nov 22, 2014 at 6:14 AM Post #5,769 of 7,699
  what are differences in sound between ie8 and ie 80?

To be totally honest I haven't heard any difference but I haven't listened them both at the same time, it was like 2 months gap, probably would hear some difference if it wasn't so much time between listening of two. Anyways very likely not worth going to IE80 if you already have IE8, and in case you have money to waste then there are better iems to get anyways so... keep the IE8 :)

Nov 22, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #5,770 of 7,699
That is the first time I have read that. Sure it's not wishful thinking?!

Ok, that's what I've read that the difference, mainly, is. I haven't heard the IE8 so I can't confirm this.

One thread that I could easily find: http://www.head-fi.org/t/598137/sennheiser-ie8-vs-ie80-what-are-the-differences

Nov 22, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #5,771 of 7,699
Ok, that's what I've read that the difference, mainly, is. I haven't heard the IE8 so I can't confirm this.

One thread that I could easily find: http://www.head-fi.org/t/598137/sennheiser-ie8-vs-ie80-what-are-the-differences

My post was not intended to be a dig at you. I honestly had not heard that before. I had read many times that the 80 was the same sound as the 8. I would think that it would be very difficult to compare without expectation bias. AFAIK, Sennheiser do not claim the 80 sounds any different.

Nov 22, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #5,772 of 7,699
@krismusic
I didn't interpretet as a 'attack' in my direction. No harm
wink.gif

From what I've read the general concensus is that the IE80 is a refinement of the IE8 (less of a mid-bass hump). Although some people seem to prefer the IE8 stock cable above the one the IE80 comes with.
Recently I switched to a Earmax cable, nice and souple. Sound is not clearly different than the stock Sennheiser cable, to me the cable gives mids and highs a little touch more presence. Maybe it's my imagination
biggrin.gif

Nov 22, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #5,773 of 7,699
@krismusic

I didn't interpretet as a 'attack' in my direction. No harm :wink:

From what I've read the general concensus is that the IE80 is a refinement of the IE8 (less of a mid-bass hump). Although some people seem to prefer the IE8 stock cable above the one the IE80 comes with.
Recently I switched to a Earmax cable, nice and souple. Sound is not clearly different than the stock Sennheiser cable, to me the cable gives mids and highs a little touch more presence. Maybe it's my imagination :D  

Good stuff. Have to be careful with posting that unintended offence is not given. :)
I have rather cannoned off into CIEM's but now that I can EQ Spotify, find the 8's very good. Just taking 100hz down a little cleans the sound up a lot to my ears.

Nov 25, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #5,774 of 7,699
I just got my ie80s from amazon germany and I have to say I'm satisfied although not too impressed. Coming from the shure se425 and  Senn hd558, the first thing that overwhelmed me was the bass. At the lowest settings, the bass was significantly higher than those. I don't currently have the se425 but I could tell there was a difference in the soundstage and even though the shure sounded more balanced, this felt more pleasant. Compared to the hd558 however, it's quite ambiguous. While it seems like the ie80s are more detailed, there is is something about the 558s (maybe is the soundstage) that makes me want to keep listening to it .  However, this is the first iem that I have actually had no problems switching back and forth with the HD558 and feeling happy with both. With the shures, I always preferred the hd558s. It could also be that the se425 sounded so close and in-your face while the ie80s (similar to the 558s) was kind of laid back. My reason for not being too impressed with the ie80 was due to my expectations. I kind of expected it to be significantly better that the hd558s considering the price difference. I still feel it's better but maybe it was probably too much expecting a heaven and earth difference. Also, since they are significantly different sets of headphones, it could also be down to preference.  

The bass tunning felt slightly odd to me. I tuned it to the highest level expecting a very pronounced difference but it felt like there was only an increase in the sub-bass making it more boomy. The only other headphone I've used with tuneable bass was the Custom one Pros, and with that the bass increase was very significant at each level.  Let me know what your thoughts are on this as I was expecting that sort of difference.  

Also, I thought the bass impact  on my right ear wasn't working at first.  However, I'm not sure if this is me or the music but I tend to hear the bass of almost every song on the left side of my head(ears). I don't want say ears fully because the bass feels like it's playing in my head rather than in my ears, but on the left side. ( If you can relate, let me know if this is normal..lol).  When I tested for the bass with both ears, even when the left was at the lowest setting and the right highest, I still felt more bass from the left. Taking the left ear off however, (even with my impaired bass hearing on the right) I could tell there was a difference. 

In terms of comfort, these are more comfortable than my previous se425s. I have amazingly small ears (probably the first thing you would notice seeing me) and small ear-holes. I find it difficult even fitting small ear-tips in. With the shures, I always used extra-small tips (from klipsch s4s) as I got the most comfort out of them.  The first thing I did after unboxing the ie80 was to replace the factory medium tips with my extra-small ones but then came the bummer. The tip couldn't fit and all I could do was hope for the worst. I had to settle for the small foam-like tip and  it turned out to be perfectly comfortable. I would rate the comfort similar to the shures with the extra-small tips and I could almost guarantee that using those same small foam ear-tips on the se425 would have been a problems.

Finally, when I first got  the se425s, there was this static background noise that i kept hearing after I plugged it in and played music on my macbook air 2012.  The noise was always present even at low volumes and would disappear about 2mins after the song stopped playing. I don't hear this noise with my HD558s and on the iPhone, I never heard it even on the shures. Later on, I surprisingly stopped hearing the noise from my macbook and I wasn't sure of why that happened or what i did to change it.  With the ie80s currently, it seems the background noise is back again..lol

Can anyone please explain the reason for this static noise? Why do I seemingly only hear it with iems? Why do I hear it on my macbook but not on an iPhone? Why did I hear it with shures at first and why did I stop hearing it later on? Is there a way to stop the noise?  Thanks.

Nov 25, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #5,775 of 7,699
  I just got my ie80s from amazon germany and I have to say I'm satisfied although not too impressed. Coming from the shure se425 and  Senn hd558, the first thing that overwhelmed me was the bass. At the lowest settings, the bass was significantly higher than those. I don't currently have the se425 but I could tell there was a difference in the soundstage and even though the shure sounded more balanced, this felt more pleasant. Compared to the hd558 however, it's quite ambiguous. While it seems like the ie80s are more detailed, there is is something about the 558s (maybe is the soundstage) that makes me want to keep listening to it .  However, this is the first iem that I have actually had no problems switching back and forth with the HD558 and feeling happy with both. With the shures, I always preferred the hd558s. It could also be that the se425 sounded so close and in-your face while the ie80s (similar to the 558s) was kind of laid back. My reason for not being too impressed with the ie80 was due to my expectations. I kind of expected it to be significantly better that the hd558s considering the price difference. I still feel it's better but maybe it was probably too much expecting a heaven and earth difference. Also, since they are significantly different sets of headphones, it could also be down to preference.  

The bass tunning felt slightly odd to me. I tuned it to the highest level expecting a very pronounced difference but it felt like there was only an increase in the sub-bass making it more boomy. The only other headphone I've used with tuneable bass was the Custom one Pros, and with that the bass increase was very significant at each level.  Let me know what your thoughts are on this as I was expecting that sort of difference.  

Also, I thought the bass impact  on my right ear wasn't working at first.  However, I'm not sure if this is me or the music but I tend to hear the bass of almost every song on the left side of my head(ears). I don't want say ears fully because the bass feels like it's playing in my head rather than in my ears, but on the left side. ( If you can relate, let me know if this is normal..lol).  When I tested for the bass with both ears, even when the left was at the lowest setting and the right highest, I still felt more bass from the left. Taking the left ear off however, (even with my impaired bass hearing on the right) I could tell there was a difference. 

In terms of comfort, these are more comfortable than my previous se425s. I have amazingly small ears (probably the first thing you would notice seeing me) and small ear-holes. I find it difficult even fitting small ear-tips in. With the shures, I always used extra-small tips (from klipsch s4s) as I got the most comfort out of them.  The first thing I did after unboxing the ie80 was to replace the factory medium tips with my extra-small ones but then came the bummer. The tip couldn't fit and all I could do was hope for the worst. I had to settle for the small foam-like tip and  it turned out to be perfectly comfortable. I would rate the comfort similar to the shures with the extra-small tips and I could almost guarantee that using those same small foam ear-tips on the se425 would have been a problems.

Finally, when I first got  the se425s, there was this static background noise that i kept hearing after I plugged it in and played music on my macbook air 2012.  The noise was always present even at low volumes and would disappear about 2mins after the song stopped playing. I don't hear this noise with my HD558s and on the iPhone, I never heard it even on the shures. Later on, I surprisingly stopped hearing the noise from my macbook and I wasn't sure of why that happened or what i did to change it.  With the ie80s currently, it seems the background noise is back again..lol

Can anyone please explain the reason for this static noise? Why do I seemingly only hear it with iems? Why do I hear it on my macbook but not on an iPhone? Why did I hear it with shures at first and why did I stop hearing it later on? Is there a way to stop the noise?  Thanks.

did you look at the FR graph of a IE8 or IE80?  I think anybody can understand from a graph that bass are very very strong ^_^.
same for the bass tuning, it has always been very clear it was a sub bass setting. at least you can congratulate yourself as you do have good ears and can tell sub bass from bass ^_^.
the noise on your macbook is from your macbook not from the headphone. the difference is how sensitive and low impedance your headphone is.
to make it a little too simple, the lower you have to set your volume to get normal listening level, the higher the noise will be. all sources have different noise levels(and do not trust specs for that, instead ask people with sensitive IEMs like SE535).
if it is a problem for you, you can send the IE80back as they are indeed very sensitive to hiss. or you can try to find a better source for your music(like adding a clean amp maybe?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back