Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
May 11, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #5,431 of 7,699
Looks legit - the foam inside the metal carrying case is cut sharply - a tell-tale sign of fakes is a rough, circular cut in the foam. These look great.

May 11, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #5,432 of 7,699

They seem reputable enough and price is right (at least the former's). Also, what does the 5N mean in front of OFC?

5N means the purity of the copper used in the cable is 99.999% (5 digits, so 5N). 

May 11, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #5,433 of 7,699
  Looks legit to me. By the way, can one detach the cables that is pull out the plastic V shaped thinngy.? I would like to replace the cables for various reasons if possible and want to know what kind of socket is used by Senns  so I cna order the kind of cable I want.
Thx

Sennheiser uses their own type of connector. So you should explicitly ask for Sennheiser IE8/80 connector for the cable. The cable is detachable, just pull out the connector carefully so as not to damage the pins and jack. 

May 11, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #5,434 of 7,699
So for the second time the cables have failed, so I am looking for a replacement cable.

Blimey! What are you doing with your cables?!
I always thought the stock cables were pretty indestructible. Kevlar reinforced and all.
5n refers to the purity of the metal used in the cable BTW.

May 11, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #5,435 of 7,699
Whenever I listen to music if the plug is not pushed extremely firmly in (or is not in a specific position) it will give distorted sound, and sometimes I need to "push" rest of the wire to the connector to get it working properly. First time it happened I got a new pair (11½ months after purchase, thank god for warranty) and now it has happened again. Could it be wear and tear? I don't mistreat them, they usually sit on my table in a clear spot whenever I am not using them.

May 11, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #5,436 of 7,699
Whenever I listen to music if the plug is not pushed extremely firmly in (or is not in a specific position) it will give distorted sound, and sometimes I need to "push" rest of the wire to the connector to get it working properly. First time it happened I got a new pair (11½ months after purchase, thank god for warranty) and now it has happened again. Could it be wear and tear? I don't mistreat them, they usually sit on my table in a clear spot whenever I am not using them.

That's really odd. I have inadvertently pulled hard on my cable a couple of times with no ill effects. A quick Goofle threw up a Custom Cable for £26. I guess you could try that but it would be good to know what caused the stock cables to fail. You are sure it is the cable/connector and not the socket that you are plugging it into?

May 11, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #5,438 of 7,699
Well. You've proved that! I really don't understand unless you are doing something that you are not aware of. Maybe try that CC cable. Does anyone else have any idea? Or experienced similar problems?

May 13, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #5,439 of 7,699
I currently have Sennheiser Momentum's but they are a bit too bulky for portable use and don't fit into my shoulder bag.
I'm looking for a more portable option that can match Momentum's sound quality. Would IE 80's fill that need?

May 13, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #5,441 of 7,699
In terms of absolute sound quality, I think IE80s are a little better than the Momentum. The Momentum is more targeted for the consumer market so they've been made to look good and then sound good. But they have different sound signature that people may have their own preferences. 

May 13, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #5,442 of 7,699
Thanks for the replies.

I just bought the IE 800. I was planning on getting two pairs of the IE80 for different places but then again IEMs are so portable that I just went for IE 800 which should be a real upgrade to Momentum. I haven't opened the box yet so I have yet to listen to it but I prefer more clear presentation with more mids. I thought the 800 would be more suited to my tastes than the IE80. Even Momentum can be a bit dark occasionally. Any feedback? Unfortunately I couldn't test either of the IEMs but I can return the 800 as long as it's not opened.

May 13, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #5,443 of 7,699
Hmm. I have only heard the 800 a couple of times and could not get a good seal without holding them into my ears. They seemed to have a heck of a lot of bass. I would really try to listen to a pair before buying if at all possible. Where are you based?

May 13, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #5,444 of 7,699
Hmm. I have only heard the 800 a couple of times and could not get a good seal without holding them into my ears. They seemed to have a heck of a lot of bass. I would really try to listen to a pair before buying if at all possible. Where are you based?

More than IE80? That's surprising as I've read reviews and impressions that say IE80 has more bass presence.

I live in Finland, Helsinki.

May 13, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #5,445 of 7,699

More than IE80? That's surprising as I've read reviews and impressions that say IE80 has more bass presence.

I live in Finland, Helsinki.

Yeah good luck finding any place that lets you listen to demo IEMs (as high end as IE800s are) here in Finland. I don't know about Helsinki, but I can't name any place where they'd offer that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back