Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
May 13, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #5,447 of 7,699

I am not sure in Europe both come at the same Price 299 Euro wihich is more than 400 Dollar, so you can hardly say they the Momentum is more a Commercial product. I think with the luxoury finsih of the Momentum, the targetted Group is the real HiFi fan and not the mass consumer. For the broad consumermarket Sennheiser have lots of other products, but the IE80 is for sure one of the very best in ears no matter the Price,  a future legend.

May 13, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #5,448 of 7,699

The bass on the IE80 you can fine tune with the Little screw,by me the screw is turned half, and with prog-avant rock, this is just great without offering mids, listening to Van Der Graaf Generator`s "Real Time" Peter Hammill´s voice sounded clear and emotional in a way I did not hear it with other IEM´s.

May 13, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #5,449 of 7,699

I am not sure in Europe both come at the same Price 299 Euro wihich is more than 400 Dollar, so you can hardly say they the Momentum is more a Commercial product. I think with the luxoury finsih of the Momentum, the targetted Group is the real HiFi fan and not the mass consumer. For the broad consumermarket Sennheiser have lots of other products, but the IE80 is for sure one of the very best in ears no matter the Price,  a future legend.

IE800 is 716,90 € from Finnish retailers, what are you smoking? Because I want the same stuff that makes IE800 299€.

May 13, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #5,450 of 7,699

Syvere, it also depends on which Music and Quality of your device, as the IE800 let you hear everything,this also means that lower Quality recordings will Sound just bad, and you could think you did buy the wrong IEM´s, for this Kind of IEM´s you Need Hi-res and other audiophile recordings on an audiophile Player like for example the AK100 from Astel & Kern.
I listen mainly with my Apple iPhone 5s and the IE80. I also have a Beyerdynamic A200 p DAC / Amp,which give some improvement on an already exellent set-up. I think the IE800 could come to his potential with the help of such amp, only on the iPhone, I don´t think the Sound will improve much from the IE80, not the mention the difference in Price. In Germany the IE800 cost 700 Euro, and that is way to much.Within 2 0r 3 years fromn the now the Price will go down, and than I might think of buying a set, but not at the current Price.

May 13, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #5,452 of 7,699
  In Germany the IE800 cost 700 Euro

No wonder you usually capitalize the nouns, willyvlyminck! I used to be unable to pronounce the 'sh' sound correctly when I got back from Germany. Got my IE80s there in a good deal. :wink:

I certainly agree that Momentum is not for the mass consumer in the sense that it's not HD201. My point was that Momentum was designed for the higher-tier consumer market, those rich but ignorant people who used to buy Beats. It's a good thing that we have Momentum as a 'luxury' headphone that actually sounds good. But I also think that in order for the sound to be appealing to untrained ears, Sennheiser probably tuned the Momentum deliberately, not emphasizing detail retrieval, or bass texture, neutrality etc, rather it was a smooth musical tone. In this sense I feel IE80s sound more 'hifi-ish' for me. Of course I do appreciate the musical tuning when I'm doing casual listening. 

May 13, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #5,453 of 7,699
I have the latest iPod Classic and iPhone 5. I also have Cambridge DacMagic Plus at home.
If the IE800's need amping I also have FiiO E7 and Nuforce Mobile Music Pump.
I know the IE800's are over 700 euros normally but I got them for a really good price.

For clarification I want more mid presence than bass. I regard Hifiman RE0 as the best IEM I have heard so far.
For full size headphones I think the Momentum's have a very good balance if not a bit recessed mids.

May 13, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #5,454 of 7,699

Me too, the IE80 are a bargain at Amazon considering their Quality, Price now is 189 Euro and the Momentum Comes at 209 Euro, so I might go for this one as well, another candidate is the Beyerdynamic T51 as far as on ears go.

May 13, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #5,455 of 7,699
Yeah good luck finding any place that lets you listen to demo IEMs (as high end as IE800s are) here in Finland. I don't know about Helsinki, but I can't name any place where they'd offer that.

A great shame. Here in the UK there are several places that offer this. Some of them are online but I am not sure if they would ship to Finland. Buying blind or reading reviews is a bit of a lottery IME.

May 15, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #5,456 of 7,699
Just in case anybody is in the market, pretty nice price on the Senn IE80's at Amazon right now ($334): http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005N8W27I?pc_redir=1399992736&robot_redir=1

Fulfilled by Amazon, so should be legit.

B&H price matching:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/837012-REG/Sennheiser_IE80_IE_80_In_Ear_Stereo.html

B&H is an authorized retailer...

May 15, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #5,458 of 7,699
  no one in here know that in german amazon ie80 just cost 196 eur?
even many chinese bought that by some way from the german- -

Which is 'wierd' since they are actually made in China at Sennheiser's factory. Kinda explains why there are sooooo many fakes and bootlegs that all come from you know where...
wink.gif

EDIT: I guess the smart Chinese IE80 buyers are so paranoid of getting homey made fakes that they think buying German is the *only* way to get the real thing....sad but true...and funny.

May 16, 2014 at 6:21 AM Post #5,459 of 7,699
the thing you said,i have to say it's quite out of time.
nowadays,even there are many fakes  in both  internet and  nomal headphone shops.
and in this case,ie80 donot have many fakes on the internet, if you paid a suitable price to buy a item in china, you could hardly bought a fakes. expect beats.in the overline bridge. i could use 100dollars buying dozen of it- - donot laugh,it's true.
in some webs,such as amazon.cn. jingdong,tianmao.
you wont buy any fakes from there.

and also, if you buy fakes from profitter. you can phone to police to deal with such stupit thing.

the last thin is, i donot know how do you think that 60dollars is mach or not , but for nomal chinese, it's a considerable fortune

May 16, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #5,460 of 7,699
Technically this is not the right thread as I don't even have IE80's but I talked about this before here so I'll post some impressions on IE800.

I decided to take the risk and open the IE800's. Comparing them to my Momentum's it's not even funny how bad the Momentum sounds after listening to IE800.

I always thought the Momentum was an excellent headphone and the first time I listened to the IE800 I thought they were nothing special. However after listening to them a while and then switching back to Momentum it was like someone put a few layers of thick lead between the speaker and my ear. Details were missing, mids were severely recessed, bass was muddy, highs were so rolled off I thought they weren't at all.

It's funny really. I didn't think the IE800 was good UNTIL I switched back to my other headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back