Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Apr 5, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #5,327 of 7,699
I'm about six weeks into IE80 ownership.  I'm wondering about a replacement cable.  The stock cable seems quite lightweight so I was thinking about something a little heavier gauge, but my bigger thing is that I like the cables on my Shure SE215 that have an integrated hook that I can loop up over my ears.  Those loose plastic hooks that come with the IE80's aren't cutting it for me.  Is there anything anyone might be able to recommend as a replacement cable that's say in the $50 range?  Thanks in advance. 

Apr 6, 2014 at 4:45 AM Post #5,328 of 7,699

Bought mine 2 years ago_____in U.S.___at $449.00___on Amazon now for $370.00,
if I were buying again I would still pay the full price__IMO they are fantastic IEM's.
When they arrived, used the screwdriver to turn Bass up full to `flex out the speakers',
played different types of music, after about the 100 hours mark they started sounding even better.
Recently I bought the Sennheiser IE800's___but prefer the IE 80's.

You can't go wrong with the IE80's.

I did Not buy from Amazon, nor ever will.

Wow!! I have them to, and I only can agree, today they come less expensive in Germany due to the fact,it is now an older model,replaced by the IE800, altrough These ones are not for everybodys Budget, so Sennheiser would do good to Keep the IE80 in their Programm, as they have already a legend Status,just like the 600-650 have by the big ones.

Apr 7, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #5,329 of 7,699
Why not from amazon?

Mine should arrive tomorrow(delayed again by UPS) and I bought them from amazon germany for 300AUD.Way way over my budget as the costliest iem ive ever owned was the MH1C!
I hope hard rock sounds ear shattering :wink: I cant wait to rediscover my collection!

Apr 7, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #5,330 of 7,699
Why not from amazon?

Mine should arrive tomorrow(delayed again by UPS) and I bought them from amazon germany for 300AUD.Way way over my budget as the costliest iem ive ever owned was the MH1C!
I hope hard rock sounds ear shattering :wink: I cant wait to rediscover my collection!

Post your impressions. I for one will be really interested to know what you reckon.

Apr 9, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #5,331 of 7,699
So mine arrived yesterday and i havent removed them even when on the pot. At first I thought amazon gave me fakes because honest to god I DID not hear any bass! Then I saw the bass knob, oh well..
The bigger silicon tips worked for me though the left one kept popping out after 5 minutes, or maybe because i was banging my head too much..

What follows is my very boring non technical lay mans language written impression of testing them on some of my most listened to genres.

Source: Xperia S>IE80
Mod: Viper4Android
Rock/Hard rock/Grunge(Nirvana, Metallica, Dead sara, SOundgarden.. all flac): I honestly did not find them very bassy. The MH1C was very bassy. In a sense that it threw bass everywhere. These on the other hand show up bass only when required which is how it should be and it is deep.  I could hear the backging lead of toxicity which I never heard before in MH1c. Sonically they give the most truest representation of how the song was meant to be listened.
I was a lover of albums but Live music now sounds so beautiful. While listening to Metallica S&M, I could pinpoint where the artists were perfoming on stage. Every instrument and note of the symphony was pristinely audible. Rock sounds very raw like it is being played in a garage, the artist feel as if they are perfoming very close to you and not on a stage. This is good but I was looking for a more airy and a concert kind of experience. I was disappointed with how the electric sounded. Solos sound a bit dampened, like there is a veil over the guitar and it needs to be lifted.I also noticed with the xperia there is this constant hiss in the background which kept on bugging me when there was no music being played.

Electronic(Disco, house, trance, Todd terje, paul vandyk)
This is where the IE80s really shine. You get the feeling of being in a club and the DJ solely playing for you with no chit chatter around no noise at all. They did complete justice to several tunes that I played and I could hear details which my mh1c never gave me and which I never knew existed.Female vocals really shine through in electronic. Im a basshead and I love adding bass wherever there is a lack of it but the ie80s dont do that. These introduced me to details of the music i was never listening to and I realised that Is what its all about. Hearing the finer things and not just boom. Dont get me wrong, the bass is very accurate and in ample quantity when needed but that doesnt stop the rest of the song to shine through. Its like having a subwoofer in a home theatre system which is dormant during vocals and synth but give it some food and it shows you exactly how large it really is. And what amazed me was how non distorted(if that is a term) the sound was when bass was full. Not once did I hear any fatigue in the warmth of the song no matter how loud I upped the volume. Thats the beauty of a premium product. Do that with the mh1c and they crack and nothing else is audible apart from boom.

Source: Xperia S>E17>Ie80
Sadly I did not hear any noticeable difference when plugged through an amp apart from making it louder.

Source: Laptop>E17(USB)>ie80
Genre: Indian classical( Ravi shankar , anoushka, ), Indie
THe Ie80s sound their best here. There is an Enormous difference thanks to the powerful DAC of the e17 which truly brings these babies alive. The sound is a lot more crisp and fast. Even youtube videos sound great. And they did wonders when given lossless content. I did notice improvements in the presentation of the sound making it a lot wider. I could make out every pluck of the sitar and the tabla sounded wide and precise.

Going back to the mh1c, now they feel so dry. Its like going from Full HD to dvdrip, you still see the same movie but its just not sharp. Im very happy with my purchase. My quest for finding true sub bass has finally come to an end but thanks to head-fi one can never be too sure. :wink:

Apr 12, 2014 at 3:31 AM Post #5,333 of 7,699
Nice impressions. Enjoy your 'phones. Maybe leave Headfi?
wink.gif

lol run for your life! Run while you still can :wink:...

Apr 12, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #5,335 of 7,699
I find that isolation on ie80 depend on the tips used very much. The comply foam tips, if in the right size (relative to your ears), provide very good isolation. Silicon tips tend to isolate less, so when the music is low you can hear some of the environment. However, in my opinion, you sacrifice some degree of details and spaciousness for isolation. 

I guess it should be very similar for ie8 and ie80 since they are of the same model, only different material. 

Apr 12, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #5,336 of 7,699
I also use the Comply foam ones, and I don´t have the Feeling,there is something missing. I prefered the foam ones, as they Keep in place better,no matter what move you make, somethimes I have to feel, if they are still there, that is how comfortable they are, and the Sound remains amazing listening mainly to progressive-and avant rock.

Apr 12, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #5,337 of 7,699
I actually agree with you in that comply foams are best for rock music. They provide better atmosphere and impact. With classical music I find double flange tips more airy and perhaps more natural.

Apr 12, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #5,340 of 7,699
^_^

it's below average, and with comply foam you get something almost average. but still not at the level of any well done, fully closed in ear. I use them when it's silent or when I actually need to have some level of awareness (for exemple, to avoid dying). but I wouldn't recommend them for commuting (I use some etymotics for that, but even with criminal levels of EQ it's really not the same audio trip).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back