Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Feb 5, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #5,221 of 7,699

You use the E18 with your iPhone or do you have Android portables as well? I think of buying an E18 for my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 10.1 , 2014 Edition, as I planned a öong fö
flight so I can listen to my downloaded Music offline. Wich in ears you use on your iPhone with or without DAC?

I use it with the iPhone and the iPad. Mostly as an amp with the iPhone because of the minimized hassle with cables. have a Note 2 as well, but I haven't tested it yet. The Note 2 is my work phone and I leave it there. I think it's a decent/good "little" device, but I have a slight high pitched noise. I'm guessing that it's more of an "isolated issue" as opposed to a faulty design. Also, it's not super disturbing, so if it's not a sign of a big problem, I can live with it. As for in ears: I use all of them; it pairs well with every headphone I have imo.

Feb 5, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #5,222 of 7,699
  I use it with the iPhone and the iPad. Mostly as an amp with the iPhone because of the minimized hassle with cables. have a Note 2 as well, but I haven't tested it yet. The Note 2 is my work phone and I leave it there. I think it's a decent/good "little" device, but I have a slight high pitched noise. I'm guessing that it's more of an "isolated issue" as opposed to a faulty design. Also, it's not super disturbing, so if it's not a sign of a big problem, I can live with it. As for in ears: I use all of them; it pairs well with every headphone I have imo.

Why didn´t you go for the E12 than, or are you planning using the DAC on your Laptop? I also use several headphones, but always those who are situated around 120 Euro average, These days I can Keep myself very happy with the Grado IGI, wich already give exellent results with my tablet, so I hope the E18 is able to make the good even better
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 5, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #5,223 of 7,699

Why didn´t you go for the E12 than, or are you planning using the DAC on your Laptop? I also use several headphones, but always those who are situated around 120 Euro average, These days I can Keep myself very happy with the Grado IGI, wich already give exellent results with my tablet, so I hope the E18 is able to make the good even better
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, I meant more that I use it as a DAC+AMP with my computers and tablet, but only as a AMP with the phone, because I only have the camera connection kit and the USB cable, which would be 1.5 metres of cable to carry around just use it as a DAC for the phone. On the tablet and laptop/workstation the USB cable is obviously not an issue since I'm more static at one place when using those. I use the phone on the go though, as we all do, and it's just a better solution to amplify with that short, little interconnect -- especially when I find the iPhone DAC to be decently competent.

As for the headphones, I don't know those Grados (I haven't heard any Grado as they're somewhat unusual in Sweden), but in my experience most headphones get some benefits from amping, even easy-to-drive ones. In my opinion they tend to get a little tighter bass and obviously increased volume (we have volume limits on our DAPs, we're apparently not to be trusted when it comes to responsible usage of dB).

BTW: I personally find that the most interesting headphones are around those prices, ~100-300 euros.

Feb 8, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #5,224 of 7,699
  If you hear bass on the left side, that is 99% a seal issue. 
I did not have this serious problems with my fit, but I ended up with custom sleeves.
It improves your experience, even, if you had good fit. (I used Comply as well.) 
I have my customs made at ACS. It was perfect at first try, got used to it in 2 days. I think, it fits 90% of customers first time. But they redo, if anything wrong...

IE80 does-not need amp. But if you use one, you can get some extra joy. :)

I'm starting to think that this is the real issue for me maybe along with differently shaped ear canals. I tried a couple of pairs of iems (Klipsch S4As and the S4Ais) in the store yesterday and both panned well to the left. In fact I struggled to keep the right ear piece in my ear with the 4As. So what do I do about this? I have both Large and Medium Auvios. Maybe I should try L in my right ear and M in my left ear.

I am also wondering if I should get my hearing checked but as I don't seem to have this issue with over the ear cans I suspect that my hearing is still OK. I have noticed that my right ear does wax up very quickly.

Any thoughts or solutions would be appreciated.

Feb 9, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #5,225 of 7,699

I'm starting to think that this is the real issue for me maybe along with differently shaped ear canals. I tried a couple of pairs of iems (Klipsch S4As and the S4Ais) in the store yesterday and both panned well to the left. In fact I struggled to keep the right ear piece in my ear with the 4As. So what do I do about this? I have both Large and Medium Auvios. Maybe I should try L in my right ear and M in my left ear.

I am also wondering if I should get my hearing checked but as I don't seem to have this issue with over the ear cans I suspect that my hearing is still OK. I have noticed that my right ear does wax up very quickly.

Any thoughts or solutions would be appreciated.

I dd try the Standard tips on the Sennheiser IE 80 as they come when buying them, and they did fitt perfect, not loose or to tight just perfect, first time that I experienced that by the way, with others I always had to Experiment.

Feb 9, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #5,227 of 7,699
  Oh, I meant more that I use it as a DAC+AMP with my computers and tablet, but only as a AMP with the phone, because I only have the camera connection kit and the USB cable, which would be 1.5 metres of cable to carry around just use it as a DAC for the phone. On the tablet and laptop/workstation the USB cable is obviously not an issue since I'm more static at one place when using those. I use the phone on the go though, as we all do, and it's just a better solution to amplify with that short, little interconnect -- especially when I find the iPhone DAC to be decently competent.

As for the headphones, I don't know those Grados (I haven't heard any Grado as they're somewhat unusual in Sweden), but in my experience most headphones get some benefits from amping, even easy-to-drive ones. In my opinion they tend to get a little tighter bass and obviously increased volume (we have volume limits on our DAPs, we're apparently not to be trusted when it comes to responsible usage of dB).

BTW: I personally find that the most interesting headphones are around those prices, ~100-300 euros.

You are right, what is above 300 Euro, might is not necessarely better, and if we are talking about nuances most don´t even hear, altrough if your sources are bad for example a seventies recording than an expensive headphone won´t help either, on the contrary, they Show the shortcomings, for the rest the Price have also to do with the place of production, the IE800 for example is handmade in Germany, and These are specialized People with huge salaries, so when produced in China, they can offer the same at 1 third of the Price or less depending on the model, but in Terms of Sound the production Location doesn´t matter, so it is more a social issue.

Feb 10, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #5,229 of 7,699
  I'm getting a pair of IE80s flown in from Germany by my father who has gone there for some business...
Got them for 272USD!!!!!
I'm waiting for my Fiio E12DIY...
Impressions soon to come...

Great man , your father, yes at some Amazon Germany they now come fairly cheap, I did receive mine saturday, you won´t even Need the Amp, but it shure won´t hurt either. They are fenomenal, in either way, they don´t come much better than this, and certainly not at this Price. That is the reason why i did prefere them over the Grado GR10 wich come in Europe at over 500 USD !!?
And last but not least the IE80´s Play in the same league albeit better bass.What do you use as source?

Feb 10, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #5,230 of 7,699
He actually got it at Saturn....
Well for now it is going to be a Note 3(Octa Core) through a Fiio E18 which I want to get if it has a line out...
I have a XBA-3 which I got for about $120 which I use with a S3 and I have to say it sounds phenomenal...
I plan on getting the X5 when it comes out...

Feb 11, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #5,232 of 7,699
Hello all,

I was wondering, from those of you that loved the IE80, but due to your audiophile affliction have moved on to other iems, which ones you chose. The IE80 is my first foray in to the world of higher quality earphones. Coupled with my newly found appreciation of EDM the IE80's are just amazing and would not part with them for this reason alone. However, to me at least, they have not satisfied me at all for more conventional music. I believe that it is the 'veil' (?) on the mids and highs that is the issue. Detail is most definitely there compared to my only other iem the Sennheiser CX300, but just too far away.

I ordered a pair of InEar SD3's which were a total revelation in the mids and highs, no veiling when compared to the IE80's, and the bass was so much more detailed, but just nowhere near as enjoyable as the bass of the IE80's. I would have kept them for my 'other' music if it were not for the painful fit of the SD3's.

I have decided to by-pass your usual audiophile route of trying so many different earphones and have opted to jump straight to the top and order the JH Audio JH16 Pro's and be done with it. My logic is that I will just have to be happy with the signature as this is the best I am likely to get. I cannot have my impressions done for another couple of weeks, and then, I have been told, may have to wait up to 8 weeks for the finished article to arrive.

So, as much as I have tried so hard to resist your audiophile sickness, I think I just might be tempted/need to try one more iem. Just to satisfy my curiosity you see.

For those of you that have moved on from the IE80, have you found any other iem's with a similar bass? I have no knowledge of how to describe the bass. I am struggling to learn, and sometimes even understand, the language you use to describe sound. All I can say is that the bass on the IE80's just puts a smile on my face all the time.

JohnFY

Feb 11, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #5,233 of 7,699
  Hello all,

I was wondering, from those of you that loved the IE80, but due to your audiophile affliction have moved on to other iems, which ones you chose. The IE80 is my first foray in to the world of higher quality earphones. Coupled with my newly found appreciation of EDM the IE80's are just amazing and would not part with them for this reason alone. However, to me at least, they have not satisfied me at all for more conventional music. I believe that it is the 'veil' (?) on the mids and highs that is the issue. Detail is most definitely there compared to my only other iem the Sennheiser CX300, but just too far away.

I ordered a pair of InEar SD3's which were a total revelation in the mids and highs, no veiling when compared to the IE80's, and the bass was so much more detailed, but just nowhere near as enjoyable as the bass of the IE80's. I would have kept them for my 'other' music if it were not for the painful fit of the SD3's.

I have decided to by-pass your usual audiophile route of trying so many different earphones and have opted to jump straight to the top and order the JH Audio JH16 Pro's and be done with it. My logic is that I will just have to be happy with the signature as this is the best I am likely to get. I cannot have my impressions done for another couple of weeks, and then, I have been told, may have to wait up to 8 weeks for the finished article to arrive.

So, as much as I have tried so hard to resist your audiophile sickness, I think I just might be tempted/need to try one more iem. Just to satisfy my curiosity you see.

For those of you that have moved on from the IE80, have you found any other iem's with a similar bass? I have no knowledge of how to describe the bass. I am struggling to learn, and sometimes even understand, the language you use to describe sound. All I can say is that the bass on the IE80's just puts a smile on my face all the time.

JohnFY

hard to stop wherever you are on the ladder.
IE80 is far from perfect with recessed mids and not the best trebles at all. but one of the settings will always turn me on with the bass. also I like that it's not picky about the source. with my better IEMs, I only appreciate them with a portable amp, and I don't always want to carry a power plant around. for light weight usage I have a basic combo HF5 for isolation and trebles, and IE80 when I need to not die while running on the road and for bass.
to come back to your question, I find that customs are always better than universals and if you don't mind the feeling in your ears, they are oh so much more comfy. yet I have never heard a BA driver giving me real bass. strong bass yes, fast bass usually, rumbling sub bass sometimes but never full enough to my ears. but that's simply not the same as a good dynamic driver. for some musics I adore the fast tight bass of my jh13 more than on any speaker in the world, but still it's not the same. you have to find out what you're after yourself. I know I have given up on finding "one to rule them all" so whenever I find some really good points to an IEM, I tend to add it to the family. (but I often think about getting rid of all that crap and just having a porta pro and a clip+... maybe one day I'll be strong enough to do it).
anyway if you look for details+isolation customs are a great way to go. but be sure you're not a dynamic driver bass addict before. else you might regret your purchase when instead a full-size headphone might be your ultimate dope for half the prize.

Feb 11, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #5,234 of 7,699

Tralucent 1plus2's for the win!.. 
etysmile.gif
    Reason: huge dynamic driver.

Feb 11, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #5,235 of 7,699
  Hello all,

JohnFY

Upgrading from the IE 80 brings you to the really exotic priced iem´s like Final Audio and Stax, no to mention the IE800, but for me I won´t upgrade anymore as they don´t come much better anymore. What is the Point of Hearing Details that got nothing to do with the Music, or let you hear the shortcomings of a low Budget recording? I have a collection of 5 iem´s and the IE 80 is the best Overall, as it shines in every discipline, at least for my ears, but when you are on a Budget the Rock it Sounds R5 are the second best. I did buy the IE 80 because the Price was and or is in a downfall in Germany, My only wish for the future will be the Grado GR10 wich isn´t a real upgrade but an IEM wich I will like as I have the IGI wich gives me lot of fun with it´s great dynamics and are great for rock and progressive rock. If somebody of the US ever visit Germany and can get the GR10 at 290 USD, please contact me:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back