Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Jan 14, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #5,146 of 7,699
I have studio v 3rd anv and its the second best pairing i have tried with ie80 besides tera player. Never tried c4 before but ak100 is bad pairing for ie80 in my opinion. Dx100 is also good with ie80

really? in my case there is loud hiss coming from my studio v 3rd wich in fact not allow enjoing music:frowning2:
is it possible that i have other version of player then you got?
when checkin ver information displais fw ver:dt-dynamic ver:2013.01.05 but its firmware version yes?
or maybe my ie80 are fake? there really is a loud annoing hiss when listeing on studio 3rd
do you think there is any chances to fix that?

Jan 14, 2014 at 2:38 AM Post #5,147 of 7,699
really? in my case there is loud hiss coming from my studio v 3rd wich in fact not allow enjoing music:frowning2:
is it possible that i have other version of player then you got?
when checkin ver information displais fw ver:dt-dynamic ver:2013.01.05 but its firmware version yes?
or maybe my ie80 are fake? there really is a loud annoing hiss when listeing on studio 3rd
do you think there is any chances to fix that?

There is some hiss with my ie80 but its not loud and when the music is playing its really hard to detect the hiss. I got the old dynamic firmware on my studio v, i never change the firmware. With my jh16 the hiss is pretty bad though. Where do you bought your ie80? If its from an authorized dealer then it should be genuine. Maybe your ear is very sensitive to hiss?
Edit: try using an 30ohm adapter to reduce hiss :)

Jan 14, 2014 at 3:20 AM Post #5,148 of 7,699
it all depends on how loud you listen to music. those bothered by hiss are those listening at lowest volumes. and it's logic. say a dap at max volume is 0db, the noise floor will be say -70db. and lowering volume will not lower that noise level. so one listening at -40 won't really hear the -70db hiss, but someone listening at -55db will easily notice hissing 15db under the sound of music. it's not really a matter of how loud is the hiss, but more a matter of the gap between music and hiss.

your IE80 is ok, a studioV without hiss would probably be a fake one :wink:

Jan 14, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #5,149 of 7,699
i bought it here
http://www.progamingshop.pl/sennheiser-ie-80/d-81737/
the seller told me its from authorized dealer. i checked all guidances here and other in youtube for example and there is no indications its fake
in fact im in the same situation as duckndive - others user posted in this thread. all looks like genuine but there is no PK_XXXXXXX code under the EAN barcodecode
i managed to register my version on sennheiser webside but i dont know if it proof 100% legit of my ie80
perhaps i should contact sennheiser

on this earphones paa-1 the hiss practically non exist - can hear it on max volume setting, but on ie80 its loud and hear it once i plug them up - its not changing due to volume changing
imo the hiss sounds "nice" has pleasnt, soft tone but really is annoing especialy when track start or end and in more silent parts

Jan 14, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #5,150 of 7,699
i bought it here(i have no permison to give exac link it was progamingshop.pl)
the seller told me its from authorized dealer. i checked all guidances here and other in youtube for example and there is no indications its fake
in fact im in the same situation as duckndive - others user posted in this thread. all looks like genuine but there is no PK_XXXXXXX code under the EAN barcodecode
i managed to register my version on sennheiser webside but i dont know if it proof 100% legit of my ie80
perhaps i should contact sennheiser

on this earphones paa-1 the hiss practically non exist - can hear it on max volume setting, but on ie80 its loud and hear it once i plug them up - its not changing due to volume changing
imo the hiss sounds "nice" has pleasnt, soft tone but really is annoing especialy when track start or end and in more silent parts

Jan 14, 2014 at 4:28 AM Post #5,151 of 7,699
again the hiss doesn't come from the headphone. you hear it more on the IE80 because it's more sensitive so you use a lower volume, that's all.
the source is generating the hissing. usually the best way to circumvent that problem for sensitive IEMs is to use an amp, as they tend to have a noise level much lower than consumer grade daps.

Jan 15, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #5,152 of 7,699
i know. its weird that the level of hiss dont change due to volume increase and remain practically constant at all volume settings (00 - non exist, 01 - is louder then music... 14 hiss is at the same level as was on 01.. 30 - hiss is little louder then was on 01)

i cant effort right now for amp or change configuration of my stuff so what is my best hope?
try using an 30ohm? - what will happen with sq then?
try to pairing studio with many earphones to find less hissy configuration? some multiarmature stuff maybe?
the earphones that comes with studio do not produce many hiss - they are 32 Ohm and 105 dB

will appreciate any sugestions:wink:

Jan 15, 2014 at 4:46 AM Post #5,153 of 7,699
i know. its weird that the level of hiss dont change due to volume increase and remain practically constant at all volume settings (00 - non exist, 01 - is louder then music... 14 hiss is at the same level as was on 01.. 30 - hiss is little louder then was on 01)

i cant effort right now for amp or change configuration of my stuff so what is my best hope?
try to pairing studio with many earphones to find less hissy configuration? some multiarmature stuff maybe?
the earphones that comes with studio do not produce many hiss - they are 32 Ohm and 105 dB

Multiarmature ciem i have tried with studio v have hiss but non existent and so is the ie80 at my listening level which is 10 or 11 sometimes. But then maybe its the music that have a quiet passage which the hiss can be heard, my music consist alot of japanese pop and some rock and metal song.
Try using an 30ohm adapter first it will reduce the hiss but the life on the music will be reduced abit and see whether the result is good for you or not. Ie80 is very sensitive iem and many dap i tried have hiss with the ie80. Another option is too sell the studio v and get the younger brother rocoo ba. Hope it works out for you in the end

Jan 15, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #5,154 of 7,699
multidriver on the studio=bad idea. the output impedance is too high.

if you want another IEM I would suggest anything with a dynamic driver for they usually have a more stable impedance curve. then go for high impedance and/or low sensitivity. one thing the studio doesn't lack of is volume. the safest way would be a headphone. the size of a headphone driver makes it immediatly less sensitive than little IEMs so it's rare to experience hissing on headphones.

as for adding impedance to the IE80, the signature won't change so it's a very good thing in favor of trying it. and I don't think the damping would really make a big difference as it's a very light dynamic driver. I guess the main question is to know if 30ohm would be enough to remove the hiss or if you need more.

my personnal choice would be to get rid of the studio, but I know that a lot of people adore it for some reasons.

Jan 15, 2014 at 6:06 AM Post #5,155 of 7,699
  my personnal choice would be to get rid of the studio, but I know that a lot of people adore it for some reasons.

hehe its my second player - first was cowon c2 (no hiss with ie80). i like studio 3rd only for sound quality (i was briefly listeing to fiio x3 but i think studio has better sq) 
now regret a little, perhaps i should wait for x5 or buy dx50 or something
i think its much easier to get rid of ei80 then studio but really consider it when you tell me that multidriver on the studio=bad idea
my latest dreams are ciem - there are really fine workshops here in poland:D

Jan 15, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #5,156 of 7,699

It's not an ideal solution but adding an amp does stop the hiss completely on the Studio units. The Studio's are really hit and miss whether they'll hiss badly. It depends on each IEM as they behave differently and you just don't know unless you try it. You can ask opinions here but you really don't know again what an imduvials threshold is to hiss. Again, it's not an ideal solution but adding something like this $100 C&C BH amplifier will completely take away the hiss. I've used the pairing in the past and still sounds great, it flavours the presentation and takes away some of that dry signature the Studio has.

It looks like this.

You can read about it here. Again remember you're double amping, but setting the Studio volume to 28/31 seems the sweet spot. I know what it's like with hiss, it can be so annoying and when you're willing to do anything to get rid of it this is a logical solution.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/644363/c-c-bh-portable-headphone-amp-80-hours-from-a-single-charge-buyer-review

Jan 16, 2014 at 4:03 AM Post #5,157 of 7,699
  Guys i got a new problem and i think its a serious one. In my sennheiser ie80's that i got 3 weeks ago, the right driver sounds much more muffled as well as softer in volume than my left driver and I am concerned that they have already been broken. There is no earwax and I did notice some imbalance previously but it wasn't that bad but this time its extremely noticeable. What happened and what can I do? I will say that I did tug on the cable to remove the earpieces a few time but I idk if that could be the problem. Thanks!

By imbalance, do you mean that anything that should sound central, in the middle of the head, has shifted to the left? Bass beat is a good example.

Jan 16, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #5,158 of 7,699

By imbalance, do you mean that anything that should sound central, in the middle of the head, has shifted to the left? Bass beat is a good example.

this problem hunted me for a long time... my W4's Ex1000's And een my IE80's... i found that i hae a ear canal shape issue :/ ( i guess)

Jan 16, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #5,159 of 7,699
seriously i wanted to ask People something... do u guys feel that most modern Bass kicks tend to sound Left sided? i mean panned?

Jan 16, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #5,160 of 7,699
  seriously i wanted to ask People something... do u guys feel that most modern Bass kicks tend to sound Left sided? i mean panned?

Usually if bass  starts panning or feeling uncentred is due to seal issues,(even though you think you have seal) of course taking into account the bass in that track is centered. It's mostly noticable with sub-bass hits you'll feel the bass pull to one side. I have a track I use with a low sub-bass drop that I know should be centre channel bang smack in the middle. if your bass is leaning to one direction check your tips because our ears aren't exactly the same on both sides.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2OCSWF7sAw

Users who are viewing this thread

Back