Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Jan 9, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #5,131 of 7,699
I just wanted to write a post about my cable experiences, and now I see, you are talking about cables... :)

So, after buying my IE80, in the first month I had bought a 6N OFHC silver plated upgrade cable, on eBay, from Hong-Kong. It was around 40 pounds.
I noticed, the sound is brighter, more balanced, richer, especially the highs are more opened, more sparkling.

After 18 months this cable broke. The welding between the cable and the connector to the earphones broke... (Normal use.)
Guarantee was 1 year, so I had to find out sg, as I do not have fine welding equipments... :)

Now I had to return to stock cables for 2 weeks, and man, I can tell, I do not like it. The debate, if upgrade cables are worth the price or not, is clear for me now. Stock cable is much less balanced, less rich, less enjoyable... Sounds poor compared to my upgrade cable, which I used for 1,5 years...

I was thinking about buying a pure silver cable for 160 pounds... Almost the price of the IEMs...
But finally I decided to buy MKIII upgrade cable for 84 pounds, eBay, Hong-Kong...
They promise a richer sound, and I think, pure silver cannot make such a difference, that worth the double price of my MKIII... (Just like some review sites stated as well...)
Not to mention the 2 years warranty...

So, my personal conclusion is:
It is definitely worth to buy an upgrade cable. But not necesserily the 160 pound silver one... (However, I havent tried that one yet...)
If I was happy with the 40 pounds silver plated one, I think, I will be happy with the 84 pounds MKIII. 
Update in 2-3 weeks. :)

Jan 9, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #5,132 of 7,699
cable should be the last place to put money into. and you should do it for comfort or microphonics more than to hope for a change in sound.

if I had 200extra bucks, I would buy another headphone. I'm sure the benefits of 2 differents phones outclass the benefits of a cable. in my case I use the IE80 to relax in calm environement, and put on a pair of etymotic for maximum isolation. those 2 phones couldn't be more different, but I "need" both.

then again some cables are just so pretty ^_^.

Jan 9, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #5,133 of 7,699
I've personally gone off the IE80, I have decided I don't like their sound signature and they are not for me! Far too boomy and muddy compared to more neutral cans.

They are amazing if you prefer their sound sig. They also have a soundstage that no other iem i have heard comes close to.

I've realised that i prefer a 'fast' presentation with tight and controlled bass.

Jan 9, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #5,134 of 7,699
  cable should be the last place to put money into. and you should do it for comfort or microphonics more than to hope for a change in sound.

if I had 200extra bucks, I would buy another headphone. I'm sure the benefits of 2 differents phones outclass the benefits of a cable. in my case I use the IE80 to relax in calm environement, and put on a pair of etymotic for maximum isolation. those 2 phones couldn't be more different, but I "need" both.

then again some cables are just so pretty ^_^.

I bought my stock IE80 for 190 pounds.
Invested into custom sleeves and upgrade cable for another 190.
380 all together...

I can tell, both my upgrades improved the performance a lot... (20-30% each, so 40-60% all together.)
I do not really think, you can buy 'better' sounding stuff for 380 pounds.
Different maybe, but not better.
If you want better sounding, you should pay double of what I spent. (6-700 pounds)
And I am not entirely sure, that would double your listening experience as well...

Of course, everything just depends on your budget...
But I do believe, I got the best sounding for the price I spent, and eventually this is, what matters... :wink:

Jan 12, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #5,135 of 7,699
Guys i got a new problem and i think its a serious one. In my sennheiser ie80's that i got 3 weeks ago, the right driver sounds much more muffled as well as softer in volume than my left driver and I am concerned that they have already been broken. There is no earwax and I did notice some imbalance previously but it wasn't that bad but this time its extremely noticeable. What happened and what can I do? I will say that I did tug on the cable to remove the earpieces a few time but I idk if that could be the problem. Thanks!

Jan 12, 2014 at 3:05 AM Post #5,136 of 7,699
a cable problem would most likely be no sound at all. you should send them back

Jan 12, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #5,138 of 7,699
Anyone else got an idea?

Try switching the cable, as in, attach the "left wire piece" to the right driver and "right wire piece" to the left driver. If you can replicate the problem on the left side, then it's perhaps a fault in the cable, but if the right driver problem persists, then my hunch would be that it's a driver problem.

Jan 13, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #5,140 of 7,699
Jan 13, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #5,142 of 7,699
Do i need to shove it back in the carrying case and in the original box and buy a new shipping box or what?

Im not sure about that. Try contacting sennheiser or the place where you bought your ie80 at.

Jan 13, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #5,144 of 7,699
Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back