Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Jan 2, 2014 at 5:04 AM Post #5,101 of 7,699
I tried using the tape mod and have the bass dial half way.. The mids seem to come up to the for front more making the detail more noticeable.. Took a little bit to get use to it.. Brain burn in.. To really sound good.. The bass seem faster and alot tighter.. I'm kinda really liking the ie80's this way alot.. Makes them sound more reference sounding.. Imo can definitely hear more detail..

Im trying the tape mod right now, definately more detail present than before. To me it seems like going from listening in a small hall to listening in a medium sized room. It sounds more intimate.

Need to test it with different types of music to see if I keep the mod but great to see you can get such different results from this IEM with tuning/mods.

Jan 3, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #5,102 of 7,699
small observation here...... I do own a Turbine pro copper which i haven't used at least for a year ,,, and i gave it a listen, and i got puzzled! why?

ive been using my IE80's as my Go to IEM's cuz when i walk i love listening to Post-dubstep / Ambient Dubstep music which Requires a lot of bass control ... and i got used to the signature of 80's :wink: . so back to the Observation. i gave the same audio track a try ( with a salt of grain , cuz i knew it will under perform compared to my 80's) . But it turns out to be very awkward.. i felt the MTPC's have such a magnificent control in bass and Amazing Texture .. damm solid and its no where near Bloaty boosty bass. then i switched back to my 80's.. story is very different there... bass is lacking control but quantity is plenty, Bass is not solid yet pretty boomy, and  very bad texturing :/ . apart from low frequency's Ie80 had a good edge in soundstage and Highs ... but i noticed the MTPC's are very fast compared to 80's . ( i knw 80's are knwn to be very slow and slugy)

[ now , dont jump in to conclusions saying that my 80's are defective , cuz they are not. i can be very sure cuz i owned 3 pair of 80's and from the very first day i knw how these sounds. ]

any one else owns a mtpc here with a ie80? would love to hear your inputs as well .. i personally do feel like at this price point MTPC's a better buy. since there only weakness is lack of soundstage....

how about changing resistors? a 35 Ohm connector?will there be much of a change? any inputs regarding this as well?

Jan 3, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #5,103 of 7,699
I don't own the MTCP's but I had a similar experience with my IE8's. Suddenly fell out with them after two years of being content.
Switched to my T15's with a Digizoid Zo. A compromise until I can afford new IEM's. Don't see me going back to the 8's. :frowning2:

Jan 3, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #5,104 of 7,699
Really liking the tape mod right now, the smaller soundstage has brought the mids more forward and has given more balance to the sound. I think I will keep mine this way from now on. The pairing with diymod (iPod video 5g) and Fiio E12 is also great with these.

I have also purchased a pair of Vsonic GR07 mk2 and also Hifiman RE-400 to try some different flavours of IEM.

My full sized cans are HD600 which I love. I'm hoping one of these three IEM's can come close to having the rare characteristic of being detailed but laid back at the same time, something the HD600 does very well!

Jan 4, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #5,105 of 7,699
small observation here...... I do own a Turbine pro copper which i haven't used at least for a year ,,, and i gave it a listen, and i got puzzled! why?

ive been using my IE80's as my Go to IEM's cuz when i walk i love listening to Post-dubstep / Ambient Dubstep music which Requires a lot of bass control ... and i got used to the signature of 80's :wink: . so back to the Observation. i gave the same audio track a try ( with a salt of grain , cuz i knew it will under perform compared to my 80's) . But it turns out to be very awkward.. i felt the MTPC's have such a magnificent control in bass and Amazing Texture .. damm solid and its no where near Bloaty boosty bass. then i switched back to my 80's.. story is very different there... bass is lacking control but quantity is plenty, Bass is not solid yet pretty boomy, and  very bad texturing :/ . apart from low frequency's Ie80 had a good edge in soundstage and Highs ... but i noticed the MTPC's are very fast compared to 80's . ( i knw 80's are knwn to be very slow and slugy)

[ now , dont jump in to conclusions saying that my 80's are defective , cuz they are not. i can be very sure cuz i owned 3 pair of 80's and from the very first day i knw how these sounds. ]

any one else owns a mtpc here with a ie80? would love to hear your inputs as well .. i personally do feel like at this price point MTPC's a better buy. since there only weakness is lack of soundstage....

how about changing resistors? a 35 Ohm connector?will there be much of a change? any inputs regarding this as well?
Hi sylaw. Kinda funny cause I was listening to my ie80's as I was reading your post.. And have my Cooper's on the night table beside me.. Listening to music on my hifiman 601 slim. So I switched to the Cooper's and your rite. The bass has more control.. Not a lot but more.. Mind you I'm listening to the ie80's with the tape mod.. Wich makes the bass faster and more controlled.. I'm really liking the tape mod alot actually.. The Cooper's are defently a more intimate iem.. But I kinda like that.. I think the Cooper's are a very underrated iem.. I think they sound quit amazing really.. Without the tape mod on the ie80's your rite the bass isn't controlled and flabby. Imo..

Jan 4, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #5,106 of 7,699
Hi sylaw. Kinda funny cause I was listening to my ie80's as I was reading your post.. And have my Cooper's on the night table beside me.. Listening to music on my hifiman 601 slim. So I switched to the Cooper's and your rite. The bass has more control.. Not a lot but more.. Mind you I'm listening to the ie80's with the tape mod.. Wich makes the bass faster and more controlled.. I'm really liking the tape mod alot actually.. The Cooper's are defently a more intimate iem.. But I kinda like that.. I think the Cooper's are a very underrated iem.. I think they sound quit amazing really.. Without the tape mod on the ie80's your rite the bass isn't controlled and flabby. Imo..

thats the thing.... i have no grudges against 80's but... it just under performs for its price.. and the funny thing is that i noticed this several years later XD... i never compared the 80's to my collection cuz 80's are a different breed and comparing apples and oranges are stupid . but MTPC's and 80's fall on to the same category .... i wonder whether changing the resistors will help? as i stated earlier... something like e 35Ohm resistor? cuz ive been able to make my westone 4's near flat after changing the resistors to 100Ohms

Jan 4, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #5,107 of 7,699
thats the thing.... i have no grudges against 80's but... it just under performs for its price.. and the funny thing is that i noticed this several years later XD... i never compared the 80's to my collection cuz 80's are a different breed and comparing apples and oranges are stupid . but MTPC's and 80's fall on to the same category .... i wonder whether changing the resistors will help? as i stated earlier... something like e 35Ohm resistor? cuz ive been able to make my westone 4's near flat after changing the resistors to 100Ohms
that might work.. Have you tried the tape mod.. It really brings out more details and brings the middle a little more forward and tightens up the bass.?

Jan 4, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #5,108 of 7,699
that might work.. Have you tried the tape mod.. It really brings out more details and brings the middle a little more forward and tightens up the bass.?

i was one of the very fist people to try the tape mod XD and i made my own mod even to tight up the lows.... yet it still seems pretty dragy  cuz the mids has no definition.... it just spits :/ but apart from that everything about the ie80 is absolutely amazing . 

Jan 5, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #5,109 of 7,699
i was one of the very fist people to try the tape mod XD and i made my own mod even to tight up the lows.... yet it still seems pretty dragy  cuz the mids has no definition.... it just spits :/ but apart from that everything about the ie80 is absolutely amazing . 
your rite.. I like the sound of them.. Laid back kinda thing.. The dynamics seemed better before they were broken in.. I can remember saying.. Wow! I really love this.. As drum rolls sounded kinda aggressive.. Now I just find them laid back.. The tape mod kinda fixes it a little bit.. Gives a little more detail anyways.. I love detail.. Hearing things in songs that I've listened to a million times and didn't even know was there till I put in a decent pair of earphones..

Jan 5, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #5,110 of 7,699
your rite.. I like the sound of them.. Laid back kinda thing.. The dynamics seemed better before they were broken in.. I can remember saying.. Wow! I really love this.. As drum rolls sounded kinda aggressive.. Now I just find them laid back.. The tape mod kinda fixes it a little bit.. Gives a little more detail anyways.. I love detail.. Hearing things in songs that I've listened to a million times and didn't even know was there till I put in a decent pair of earphones..

im happy for u :) as for me, im using my ie80's for dance and ambient music only... each any every iem of mine serves a music genre :p  im used to it that way and its pretty nice lol ( im nuts and i knw it )

Jan 5, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #5,111 of 7,699
im happy for u :) as for me, im using my ie80's for dance and ambient music only... each any every iem of mine serves a music genre :p  im used to it that way and its pretty nice lol ( im nuts and i knw it )
no not nuts at all.. I'm kinda the same way.. As I have roughly 15 different iems now.. That's not alot compared to so people on this site lol but it's a very nice collection:). I just started using the tape mod actually.. And at some point I'll remove it and listen to them in their original state :) lol

Jan 5, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #5,112 of 7,699
no not nuts at all.. I'm kinda the same way.. As I have roughly 15 different iems now.. That's not alot compared to so people on this site lol but it's a very nice collection:). I just started using the tape mod actually.. And at some point I'll remove it and listen to them in their original state :) lol

That is what im exactly doing now... hehe 

Jan 6, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #5,113 of 7,699
Hi Guys i have recently gotten an IE 80 and i would like to check you guys what are the recommended cable upgrades for this IEM. I am currently in Singapore so i would prefer if they do international shipping or i am able to get it in Singapore.

Jan 7, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #5,115 of 7,699
  Hey guys, im getting this weird phenomenon with the cables on the IE 80s where it gets REALLY stiff when exposed to cold temperatures. Does anyone else get this problem? 

It's not wierd...it's normal...everything gets stiffer when it's cold.

Keep it (IEM's & Cable) warm inside your clothes and ears. It's not good to use dynamic drivers like IE80's when they are very cold, like below freezing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back