Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Dec 13, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #5,071 of 7,699
I never said that they are bass light. Getting a good seal is very troublesome for me because with all the tips that i tried doesnt give me seal. Only when i try this mod on my jvc large tips they could give me seal and decent isolation.
I do apologise. Drunk posting. I thought that you were promoting the tape mod. At the risk of sounding like a stuck record. If you are having trouble getting a seal. Custom tips are the way forward. IMHO.

Dec 17, 2013 at 6:49 AM Post #5,072 of 7,699
I'm now running these with rockboxed ipod video, pure silver LOD and Fiio E12

Very happy with the sound!!

To those who think these do not need amplification to drive, you are right they are sensitive and have a low impedance and can be driven by almost anything... but adding a quality amp makes them truly sing. The Fiio E12 is a great amp.

My next step is the DIYMOD, I'm currently gathering the parts, knowledge and courage to attempt it!

Dec 17, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #5,073 of 7,699
I'm now running these with rockboxed ipod video, pure silver LOD and Fiio E12

Very happy with the sound!!

To those who think these do not need amplification to drive, you are right they are sensitive and have a low impedance and can be driven by almost anything... but adding a quality amp makes them truly sing. The Fiio E12 is a great amp.

My next step is the DIYMOD, I'm currently gathering the parts, knowledge and courage to attempt it!
Your rite. These ain't my go to iems but when I'm using them I run them through my continental v3 and ya really makes them sing. Would love to pick up a half decent dac to try with them. I either use my iPod 5.5 video or my 7th gen classic. And to be honest the classic makes them sound better. It's not warm like the video so ya get a little more detail.

Dec 18, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #5,074 of 7,699
If it is about sources.
I have just changed my Cowon to Fiio X3. (With built in Fiio amplifier.) Arrives tomorrow.
Many reviews mentioned, it is a good combination with IE80.
I am looking forward.

Dec 20, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #5,076 of 7,699

Would love to hear how this combination sounds, the X3 is quite an appealing DAP

Hopefully this will sound better than the hi-sound audio Roco BA + IE80 combo :wink:

Dec 23, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #5,077 of 7,699
Hi people, new to this forum, would like to know your opinions on which is better?
Sennheisser IE 80 (Single Dynamic Driver) or Sony XBA H3 (Hybrid 2 Balance Armature + 1 16mm Dynamic Driver)

I've auditioned both and was very pleased with both iems (which manage to produced rich bass with clear mids and highs)

My only complains with the Sony's is that the XBA H3 is some of the largest and bulky iem i've tested. Also that high 43 ohm may not be suited for my Xperia Z1 without an amp. (correct me if i'm wrong)

Dec 26, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #5,078 of 7,699
What are the best tips that I can use with these? I'm having problems with my new ie80's and I believe now its because I'm not getting a good seal and I have not done a burn in. Would monster gel supertips work? 

Dec 26, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #5,079 of 7,699
  What are the best tips that I can use with these? I'm having problems with my new ie80's and I believe now its because I'm not getting a good seal and I have not done a burn in. Would monster gel supertips work? 

Are you in the US? If so, run don't walk, to your nearest Radio Shack and grap yourself (or order) some AUVIO tips in S, M, or L and you will thank me.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=18352026

Dec 26, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #5,080 of 7,699

Are you in the US? If so, run don't walk, to your nearest Radio Shack and grap yourself (or order) some AUVIO tips in S, M, or L and you will thank me.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=18352026

Thanks a lot. I will get them as soon as possible. So the stock sennheiser silicone tips really are that bad?

Dec 26, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #5,081 of 7,699
  So the stock sennheiser silicone tips really are that bad?

If they work (seal) for you...great, but if not try the AUVIO's, they fit perfect - very soft bulb seals well, harder silicone nozzle fits the IE80 nozzle perfectly, the whole eartip is offset slightly outward so they fit deeper into your ear than any of the stock Sennheiser tips.

Dec 27, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #5,082 of 7,699
Hey everyone, I just recently got myself a pair of IE80's and I'm sure this question was asked several times, but I couldn't find any... so, I was wondering how much burn-in time I need in order for these to sound optimal. Please note that these are my first "audiophile-grade" earphones and I don't seem to understand/experience the wide soundstage yet (maybe because of the lack of burn-in [I had these playing for around five hours)). Thanks for any help! 

P.S. I am using the default rubber eartips.

Dec 27, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #5,083 of 7,699
Hey everyone, I just recently got myself a pair of IE80's and I'm sure this question was asked several times, but I couldn't find any... so, I was wondering how much burn-in time I need in order for these to sound optimal. Please note that these are my first "audiophile-grade" earphones and I don't seem to understand/experience the wide soundstage yet (maybe because of the lack of burn-in [I had these playing for around five hours)). Thanks for any help! 

P.S. I am using the default rubber eartips.

I always burn in my iem for 40hour and after that just listen to it normally and let the other burn in from my normal listening to music :).

Dec 27, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #5,085 of 7,699
Also, are the ie80's supposed to sound very sibilant out of the box? They still sound sibilant after 2 days of use, total of 6 hours of use. I got mine from sennheiser directly so I doubt that they are fake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back