Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Dec 11, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #5,056 of 7,699
Have a search on here for "fake IE80's" for info on how to identify a genuine product. If you bought them somewhere reputable I doubt that is the problem.

Dec 11, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #5,057 of 7,699
so how does the fake ie80 sounds? just got my own ie80 a week ago and almost have the same impression. always thought that ie80 is a bass monster but from what i am hearing right now, its a bit bassier than gr07 mk1.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Dec 11, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #5,058 of 7,699
I was finally able to find the right fit with MEElectronics (someone on this thread recommended them to me). They have a pack of different tips, or you can email them to customize what sizes comes in the set.

That being said, after owning these for a year, I regret buying them. I was much happier with the thumping bass and flawless isolation of the Atrios I owned for 4 years. Not to mention Atrios were half the price. However, I had to replace the Atrios several time due to flimsy wiring, while the Sennheisers definitely were build to last. But I see now that Atrios are no longer sold :frowning2: 

Dec 11, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #5,059 of 7,699
I got a feeling they are fake.. I don't even need a good seal and I have lots of bass.. Mentioning that.. I tried using my clear tri tips from my hifiman re400 s and I can get a half decent seal.. Better then any stock tip.. But I do like the stock tips too as I really don't think these are really made and designed to have a complete seal.. Just imo..

Dec 12, 2013 at 5:46 AM Post #5,062 of 7,699
Guys as i said before i am looking for silicone tips for my sennheiser ie80 for great fit, comfort and isolation and without muffling the sound.

if you have a real need for isolation you should just sell your IE80. they will never be good in the isolation department.
I use them and love them to go for a walk in a forest or to go running because I need to hear if a car or something is coming. but when I need isolation, I forget about bass and use some etymotics.

1) My right ear thing feels like there isn't really a tight seal, like there is air that is able to pass through which makes me question if the fits right with my ear and IEM. 2) The bass sometimes can feel really full in terms of quantity but there just isn't impact, like in the song you can hear there is plenty of bass in the background of the song but just none of it gives any impact or there isn't any real kick behind it, very much more heard than felt. That's only on some tracks however.

1) it takes time to get how to place them right, don't try to go deep with them, the sound doesn't change much from insertion anyway, so just try to get comfy. also almost everybody went for other tips and there is a reason why ^_^.
2) what you seem to be looking for isn't bass, but the kick of percutions. if you love this look for IEMs with boosts around 80-100hz and 2-5khz. that's where most impacts are born from.
IE80 has a big dip around 3khz that's why you don't have that much feeling of dynamic and impactful sound (even if real dynamic range has nothing to do with it, it's how we hear it). you end up with an amazing rumble for an IEM, but not much of the initial kick. people usually love this as non fatiguing sound, but ofc it lowers the body shaking value.
actually using the lower value (both IEMs turned counter clockwize) will keep the bass and just lower the sub bass, it might give you a feel of a little more punch and less rumble.
try to duck tape the vent too, it sounds ludycrous, but the effect if real.

Dec 12, 2013 at 5:51 AM Post #5,063 of 7,699
  if you have a real need for isolation you should just sell your IE80. they will never be good in the isolation department.
I use them and love them to go for a walk in a forest or to go running because I need to hear if a car or something is coming. but when I need isolation, I forget about bass and use some etymotics.

i am not looking for the best isolation but comfort. The ie80 always fall out off my ear without doing sport or activity.

Dec 12, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #5,064 of 7,699
I wear them like the first exemple on the left

this way pushing the cable cinch to the neck keep a litle pressure and helps the cable from jumping over the hear.

the alternate solution is like we talked about here a few weeks back, to get a cable with memory wire to secure the positioning.

Dec 12, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #5,066 of 7,699
I think part of the problem with it is that for some reason I dont even get that rumble or any sort of feeling from the IEM, the bass is entirely heard and not felt from my pair at least which is why I am starting to think they might be a problem with them being faked/defective. From all of the reviews I've read and videos I've seen (most recently the new video that Linus put out over the IE80's) is that the bass from the IE80's defiantly is felt and mine just don't have that feeling. I'll look into the tape mod thanks. 

Edit: Also, question, what silicone tips are generally the best in terms of bringing out the bass and soundstage? I know a lot of people talk about Mee, Auvio, JVC and some other tips such as foam complys but from my understand people are saying the complys wax guard or flexible core do a really good job at muffling the IEM's. Any ideas what tips I should be looking at?
The Comply's are made from mouldable memory foam. Before inserting push the foam back away from the exit hole to prevent muffling.

Dec 13, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #5,067 of 7,699
try the mod on tips on this page http://www.head-fi.org/t/569527/sennheiser-ie80s-impressions-thread/4740
i tried so many tips including jvc,meelectronic,stock and some other but none could give me a good seal and this mod works great with my ear and they had better isolation and SQ too because they got a good seal on my ear IMO.

Dec 13, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #5,068 of 7,699
Dec 13, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #5,069 of 7,699
This is bollo frankly. Get a good seal and the IE8's are in no way bass light.

I never said that they are bass light. Getting a good seal is very troublesome for me because with all the tips that i tried doesnt give me seal. Only when i try this mod on my jvc large tips they could give me seal and decent isolation.

Dec 13, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #5,070 of 7,699
Out of all the stock tips.. The really funny looking ones.. Once you get use to putting them into your ears I find they isolate very well and actually don't sound bad.. Has anyone else tried these.?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back